Extremely Fussy Eater!

Smiff

Hi all, I have been lurking in the dark, sucking information from various threads as required, so thank you all for your help.

I have a 18 WK old Saint Bernard Pup Brandy who is an extremely fussy eater.

Vet is insisting that this type of breed should only be feed the Science Diet. But she will not touch it with a 40 foot barge pole.

Have tried to hmmm hmmm starve her till she eats it but she would rather starve till I give her something else. She loves raw meat but it has to be good meat - porterhouse or BBQ is acceptable but not every meal and anything minced is of the menu, she enjoys tuna and sardines, and will eat some vegies and pasta with these.

So do you have any suggestions on proper balanced meals for her with some variety?

Are there supplements - vitiamin/minerals etc for growth I can add to her food to ensure she gets all the vit & mins she needs whilst growing? She is growing sooo fast!

You help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

post-13404-1162949691_thumb.jpg

ermmm she is a very GOOD TRAINER!! :thumbsup: ;)

I haven't much advice, and no exp. with these giant breeds.Will just say tho..that if she continually gets the good stuff...of COURSE she won't eat "dog" food :)

Be strong, do research on what is best for fast growing giant breeds, and don't change around to suit her tastes.

She looks gorgeous!

Vet has you trained too ... I wouldnt touch Science Diet with a 10 foot pole either.

I would swap to something like Eagle Pack giant breed puppy its fabulous stuff. I found mine go for it when I pour some warm water on it and soften it it smells so much nicer. Some dogs just cant thrive on dry food alone, mine are like that.

The pup should be on a couple of meals a day so there is nothing wrong with say, one meal kibble and the other some cooked veges and protein source (mince, necks, scraps etc). Then a chicken frame, lamb flap or a few chicken necks in between time for exercise.

As for meat quality, pfft. As long as its fresh I wouldnt be going too upper class for the dog, I dont even get that stuff! Try some fish sauce splashed on top.

But with all meals, 15 minutes to eat or it goes away till teh next meal time. No healthy dog will starve to death so set the food and meal times, then stick to it if she likes it or not.

I use a Vets All Natural canine nutritional powder for my home made food. Its not too high in calcium and contains natural ingredients. Remember giant pups need to grow slowly and stay slim so they dont get growing pains or structural problems later on.

These dogs are not always massive eaters either. Make the meals fairly small so she HAS to eat something and will be hungry for the next. If she has done nothing all day dont expect her to want to wolf down a massive meal. Balance is also the key to making a good eater.

PM Sagittarius, she has St Bernards (OOOH CUTE PHOTO!!)

Edited by Nekhbet

With Premium dry dog food, IMO they are all going to pretty good for your dog, just as long as its for Large Breed. Some people prefer Science Diet because the kibble is large and makes the dog chew its food. My 18 month old dogue de bordeaux was exactly the same I have tried Ekenuba, Science Diet, Eagle etc...... all mixed with something else unfortunately I kept on changing food trying to find something he loved so nows he knows to hold out and wait till he gets something he loves!!!!! :thumbsup: I have created a monster and am in the process of trying to change this habit. I recommend you do a search on dry dog food, or even fussy eater and you should find heaps of information. I would take everyones advice on eating proceedures too as its been an 18 month headache!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Guy - very helpful.

Nekhbet & Persephone - I think you hit the nail on the head exactly. Haha

But with the help of DOL I will try to be strrrong and mend my Softy ways...haha

Thanks again guys - I think this could become addictive this forum.

As a St Breeder, I suggest a premium food - Eagle pack and Eukanuba. Our's are raised on a BARF & Kibble diet, we have found this to be the best diet for our Saints.

If you give into her now she will be an extremely high maitenence dog to feed - they are known for the stubborness :thumbsup: