Annual Heartworm Injections Adverse Reactions

evelin

Evelin, I am glad you had this reaction reported to the AVPMA- they are very helpful

I have Rough Collies so have know for years not to give any "mectin" based drugs to my Collies even if they Vets say they are safe.

It does not only end with Ivermectin sensitivity- if your dog is Ivermectin Sensitive( this includes Coolies Rough and Smooth, Shelties, Aussie Shepherds,Boder Collies, GSD's, Akitas, Whippets and other sighthounds) it will also not be able to have a whole lot of other drugs that are administered by most Vets.

If anyone wants the list feel free to PM me

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evelin, I am glad you had this reaction reported to the AVPMA- they are very helpful

I have Rough Collies so have know for years not to give any "mectin" based drugs to my Collies even if they Vets say they are safe.

It does not only end with Ivermectin sensitivity- if your dog is Ivermectin Sensitive( this includes Coolies Rough and Smooth, Shelties, Aussie Shepherds,Boder Collies, GSD's, Akitas, Whippets and other sighthounds) it will also not be able to have a whole lot of other drugs that are administered by most Vets.

If anyone wants the list feel free to PM me

have PM you

Thanks

Mine are on the annual Revolution injection.

My vet says he has not heard of any adverse reactions and he says vets all talk about suchlike so he'd know, given how long it has been in use.

Terribly sorry about Tobie.

Either your Vet handles the truth carelessly, or he lives in a bubble.

My vet says he has not heard of any adverse reactions and he says vets all talk about suchlike so he'd know, given how long it has been in use.

Nadia,

Are you saying that there is widespread knowledge of problems with this product amongst Oz vets?

Perhaps there are several who live in this bubble as I have discussed this very subject with at least 4 different vets and their reactions were either that it was internet hype or they were not aware of any need to withdraw the product because of adverse reactions *shrugs*

Perhaps there are several who live in this bubble as I have discussed this very subject with at least 4 different vets and their reactions were either that it was internet hype or they were not aware of any need to withdraw the product because of adverse reactions *shrugs*

My vet won't use it anymore after two dogs died from auto-immune haemolytic anaemia as a result of him giving them the injections. He was so shocked that he did some basic research and found that this was an established adverse reaction - he said the manufacturer states it is a 1 in 10,000 event, but he certainly didn't give 20,000 injections :laugh:

As a consequence, he decided that the risk wasn't worth it, especially as he was the one who had to tell the owners that their dog was going to die. You only have to look at the manufacturers warning letter that I have posted before to see that the injection's risks are not acceptable. Obviously your 4 vets have not read this warning. :scared:

Obviously your 4 vets have not read this warning. :)

Typical response from you Morgan and something I have come to expect. :)

Just because a Vet doesn't believe what YOU believe doesn't make them ignorant. Fair chance they have far superior knowledge then you at any rate and that is something I'd be personally willing to put money on. Each of the Vets I have spoken with have said they have not experienced any major adverse reactions and it is in their opinion that it is all internet hype. These Vets are intelligent human beings and as such I trust their judgement.... more so then anything you would claim or anything I would read on the internet.

Besides dearie... they are not 'my' Vets. I would love to own a Vet but I am not quite sure how I would purchase one. Do you Morgan?

Puggles, Firstly even the first link I posted above is written by a vet and Ive had private conversations with 2 vets recently who have chatted with me about our desire to do some testing ,who were very aware of the issues . One discussed at length with me immune system responses which may be a result of these drugs rather than a sensitivity and felt that many problems which show up could be impacted by them. It was clear to me that both were aware of the fact that there were risks involved but were not prepared to say so in a more public way or stop using them on their patients. One has agreed to help in setting up our tests and is convinced we will see evidence of some of the issues but they still give the vaccination until further notice.

If a vet came out publicly and went against the drug companies its likely they would not only drop income but that they would land in a fair bit of grief and because of the fact that just in the human study it takes months to show an affect which could easily be attributed to other issues ,they would have their necks pretty well stuck out.

So knowing there may be problems and being prepared to say this or do anything about it are two different things.

I would also say there were many vets who think there may be a better way of feeding a dog rather than what they sell over the counter but very few have been prepared to say so publicly and the ones who have certainly havent had an easy time of it from the AVA or the food companies.

There's no doubt in my mind that many vets would not take any notice of warnings that didnt come through the drug companies or the AVA ,that they would tag it internet hype and say they are not aware of any reason to withdraw the product but its pretty hard for a vet to tell you they think there may be problems as they are sticking the needle in.

On this I agree with Morgan . If in fact these vets dont know there are warnings on this medication and that some dogs have had an instant response and died or that there are immune system issues they must be living in a bubble and really should do a bit of research . .

Puggles, Firstly even the first link I posted above is written by a vet and Ive had private conversations with 2 vets recently who have chatted with me about our desire to do some testing ,who were very aware of the issues . One discussed at length with me immune system responses which may be a result of these drugs rather than a sensitivity and felt that many problems which show up could be impacted by them. It was clear to me that both were aware of the fact that there were risks involved but were not prepared to say so in a more public way or stop using them on their patients. One has agreed to help in setting up our tests and is convinced we will see evidence of some of the issues but they still give the vaccination until further notice.

I am not denying Julie that there are Vets who believe there are problems with this drug, or indeed, any drug for that matter. I am a little unclear just what point you are making here?

My understanding of recent tests carried out in Australia is the the drug is still not proven to be the direct link with many of the claimed adverse reactions. There is a line of thought that it may be a combination of adminstering a vaccination against other canine diseases (i.e. a C5) and the heartwrom injection at the same time that may be the cause of the adverse reactions that are claimed to have occurred.

If a vet came out publicly and went against the drug companies its likely they would not only drop income but that they would land in a fair bit of grief and because of the fact that just in the human study it takes months to show an affect which could easily be attributed to other issues ,they would have their necks pretty well stuck out.

A drop in income? How? Why? If my vet publicly stated that he would not administer a drug that he believed caused problems but instead advocated the use of alternative treatments how would this make him lose business? In fact, I'll go as far as to say that some Vets have already done this. There are several posts here that make that very claim Julie.

I agree with the 'sticking their neck out' statement because that is exactly what it would be as there is no conclusive evidence to say that this injection causes these problems and that is precisely my point and the reason behind the comment of 'internet hype'. At this point in time that is what it is.

So knowing there may be problems and being prepared to say this or do anything about it are two different things.

Agreed.

I would also say there were many vets who think there may be a better way of feeding a dog rather than what they sell over the counter but very few have been prepared to say so publicly and the ones who have certainly havent had an easy time of it from the AVA or the food companies.

I am sure there are many Vets that say people should feed over the counter food. In fact, I'd say there are many breeders that say to feed over the counter food and I can't imagine that food companies or any offical organisation would hound them for making their claims, regardless of which diet they advocate!

As I said, I trust my Vets advice explicitly and the Vets that I use advocate 'raw' diets and to my knowledge they have never been harrassed by any company or from the AVA. I would say that claim is nonsense Julie.

There's no doubt in my mind that many vets would not take any notice of warnings that didnt come through the drug companies or the AVA ,that they would tag it internet hype and say they are not aware of any reason to withdraw the product but its pretty hard for a vet to tell you they think there may be problems as they are sticking the needle in.

Your statement doesn't make sense and rather then guess at what you are implying I'll leave it to you to perhaps explain it a little more before I comment in detail.

I will say this though. If the drug company states clearly on its packaaging and advice sheets that there are contraindications and the Vet ignores this advice and uses the drug in the incorrect way or to the wrong subject then the Vet is responsible for the outcome. Do your really think all Vets would ignore the given advice and risk claims against them from their clients?!!

On this I agree with Morgan . If in fact these vets dont know there are warnings on this medication and that some dogs have had an instant response and died or that there are immune system issues they must be living in a bubble and really should do a bit of research . .

I have never said the Vets are not aware of what warnings accompnay the drugs. I have said that the 4 vets I spoke with about this drug have not seen any of the severa adverse reactions claimed and that in their belief it was internet hype.

I'd also like to add that I have never said one way or another what I think of the drug. It appears it is just 'assumed' because I have stated what the 4 Vets I have spoken with have said that I am an advocate for this drug.

I, personally, had decided more then 6 months ago that I would revert to monthly preventative for my dogs after using the yeraly injection for the last 3 years on my dogs. As you are aware I have an epilpetic dog and I have researched this drug and the claims made against it extensively, hence why I have spoken with 4 different Vets as well. Two of which are Vets that I use personally and have known for more then 20 years (both professionally, as a client and as friends). What I discovered is that this drug has no higher incidence of severe adverse reactions then many, many other drugs we currently administer to our dog and cats in the course of keeping them healthy. To me it is an individual's choice to use this drug, just as it is to use a C5 or Drontal worming tablets, or indeed to desex at whichever age and as with anything there are risks.

The fact that people on this forum, such as Morgan, believe they have the right to denigrate Vets or anyone else because they hold a different opinion reflect more on their own character then the education or beliefs of others.

Edited by Puggles

Its one thing that vets are aware of the problem, its totally different that they are still giving it knowing that a dog might drop dead. The reality is a very small number of the dogs that get yearly injection do in fact experience the problems, as is the case with everything.

If large number was affected, the drug would not be used. Of course, its up to you as an owner to determine if the risk is large enough.

Regrdless of this issue, there are other heartworm meds out there are safe to use.

QUOTE(Ginger's mum @ 9th Nov 2006 - 12:56 PM)

---NADIA

Gees, where do you guys get off slagging off my vet??? He is a good hard working honest vet who has been treating our family dogs for more than 20 years. Despite what you say I cannot imagine why he would want to let any of our dogs die - he does a lot better $$ - wise, if he keeps them alive. You imply all vets who give the annual injection are heartless monsters, liars and fools. You must have a pretty high opinion of yourself if you think you are entitled to make judgements like that - but enough. This is degenerating into mudslinging and unpleasantness for no good reason.

Another disappointing diversion in an otherwise interesting and informative thread.

My 3 dogs have had the annual injection and I plan to let thme have it again this year. [Now someone will attack me as a heartless monster, fools and bubble inhabitant, I can see it coming :) ] (edited for sp - you can criticise my sp, if you want)

Edited by Ginger's mum

Can I ask evelin what breed of dog Tobie was? I am so sorry for your loss!

HI VANESSA, OUR DOG WAS A BORDER COLLIE. I THOUGHT I HAD ANSWERED YOU YESTERDAY, BUT IT DOES NOT APPEAR ON THE FORUM FOR SOME REASON. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR CONDOLENCES. EVELIN