The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

1344248447[/url]' post='5921784']
1344248240[/url]' post='5921776']
1344248055[/url]' post='5921770']
1344245540[/url]' post='5921721']
1344243635[/url]' post='5921679']

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

You're obviously not unemployed then.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

I'm with Sheridan, and I have been unemployed. It's part and parcel of pet ownership.

Penumbra wants people to justify themselves, it seems. I refuse to play.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cost to deal with your animal when it dies is no different than the cost of looking after it when it is alive. It is a responsibility of pet ownership.

It costs what it costs... Everyone has the option to shop around to get the best deal if they so choose... Personally I would pay as much as it takes, to be able to deal with the vet of my choice.

And no, I have never been unemployed.. But I really don't see what that has to do with it..

If you choose to have a pet, then you are responsible for their care while they are alive and for their bodies once they have passed away...

It is simply the cost of owning a pet...

1344245540[/url]' post='5921721']
1344243635[/url]' post='5921679']

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

You're obviously not unemployed then.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

I'm with Sheridan, and I have been unemployed. It's part and parcel of pet ownership.

Surely there's a difference between shopping for a fridge with money, and shopping for a fridge without money.

not really. Money is in reality a real consideration for many.

Just because someone is looking for a cheaper alternative, doesnt mean that the passing will be any less heartfelt or done with less respect or sorrow.

I have had dogs that have been group cremated, individually cremated or buried. It came down to what was the right decision for me and my animal at the time.

The cost to deal with your animal when it dies is no different than the cost of looking after it when it is alive. It is a responsibility of pet ownership.

I completely agree.

It costs what it costs... Everyone has the option to shop around to get the best deal if they so choose... Personally I would pay as much as it takes, to be able to deal with the vet of my choice.

I just don't like being ripped off is all. It's happened before.

And no, I have never been unemployed.. But I really don't see what that has to do with it..

If you're on Newstart (or even worse, Austudy), then you're living below the poverty line. What else needs to be said?

If you choose to have a pet, then you are responsible for their care while they are alive and for their bodies once they have passed away...

It's a long story. We're talking about a pet who has had a few different owners here. And I was never one of them. I was just one of the many people who got charmed by her.

not really. Money is in reality a real consideration for many.

Just because someone is looking for a cheaper alternative, doesnt mean that the passing will be any less heartfelt or done with less respect or sorrow.

I have had dogs that have been group cremated, individually cremated or buried. It came down to what was the right decision for me and my animal at the time.

Yeah, so you agree with me then. Or were you replying to Staffyluv's post?

220 for euthanasia at home

300 for cremation and ashes +paw print returned

See, another $100 and we could have got that instead. It's not just about saving money, it's also about what's the best deal.

Either my vet ripped us off, or they're just more expensive than other vets when it comes to euthanasia.

+1.

I am not ashamed to say that I phoned 3 vets for price comparisons when I euthanased my 15kg dog several years ago.

We had very little money & a young family.

The first was the vet I'd used for 2 years & I suspected they'd been overcharging me all along.

They quoted over $300 for basic group cremation & tried to upsell a full package. The second quoted $130 & gave me a break down of costs.

The last told me he would only charge me for the cost of the euthanasia- $75.

I went with the last one, not only because I had little money, but because I felt he was more interested in the welfare of his patients than making a buck. I was not wrong. He was kind & lovely and supportive at a time when I was a heartbroken mess.

I still go to him.

To have my Cavalier put to rest last year it cost

$50 for consult

$130 for Euth

It actually says no consult charge for Euth but they did. We had just spent around $1,500 with them prior to this with treating & working out management plans to try & save him. We were disappointed with the $50 extra charge. I didn't receive a nice card. From the book my vet carries at the front I think they expect the thank you cards.

I had to have one of mine PTS about 2 years ago and that cost me around the $75 mark just for the euth. I took her home and had her cremated, which costs $240. I use Pets at Peace for all my cremations. Its not cheap, but its what I choose to do. All my dogs have matching urns.

When Emma had to be PTS last year my Mum ended up paying for it and for her cremation and box. But I'm pretty sure it was just over $300-ish all up (she was about 17kg). And my vet was lovely about payment, they were happy to send a bill or give it to me when I came in to pick her up, but my Mum went back paid it there and then. However, I have an excellent relationship with my whole vet clinic so maybe that makes a difference.

I would assume you would pay for the letha-barb or whatever they use by weight, and there would be a consult fee, other than that I'm not sure what else would impact price.

ETA - the next day I received the most beautiful flower arrangement from my vet (and also another from Em's eye vet) and lovely cards from them. And that's one of the reasons I adore my vet!!!

Edited by Pretty Miss Emma

the private cremation fee was only $250-00

no urn , as her ashes placed with our male dog who passed a year before

the rest was the vet fee

Euthanasia home = $220-00

housecall = $89-00

I was going to be charged nearly $50-00 for transport of her body back to vets so AWL could pick her up

I organised for AWL to handle her from vets then we picked her up from there

the vet was going to charge aprox $180-00 fee to " shove " her in cold storage and make sure the AWL "get the right dog " when picked up ( his words ) , not my vet anymore either

needless to say I rang the AWL and made sure they picked up my girl

you can go through the AWL direct once your animal has passed and save charges if needed from the vet

Yeah, I don't think I'll be going to that vet again in the future. I remember a mate mentioning a vet that would have done it all for $80... we should have gone there.

They charged us for a 15-30kg dog, but the dog was 14kg. Could this explain a lot of the difference in price?

the private cremation fee was only $250-00

no urn , as her ashes placed with our male dog who passed a year before

the rest was the vet fee

Euthanasia home = $220-00

housecall = $89-00

I was going to be charged nearly $50-00 for transport of her body back to vets so AWL could pick her up

I organised for AWL to handle her from vets then we picked her up from there

So they were going to charge you a total of $359 for euthanising her at your house? What the hell?

Edited by Penumbra

If my vet has been treating the dog and things don't work out no charge to PTS

We bring them home to bury

If there is one that has not sick or been treated $70

Our vets are great take their time till we are ready explain why it can't be fixed

Even show me on a computer what's happened and how it's happened

We can stay there as long as we want the female vet and one lovely young vet nurse

Even cry with me

I can't understand why you are so fixated on the price. It cost me over $500 in June. Euth and cremation. It cost me close to $200 for euth x 2 in April, home burial. It cost $100 for euth last August, home burial. It cost me $75 for euth last June, disposal by vet.

That's 5 death's in just over 12 months. And only 4 were oldies.

And you're whining about costs. I'm still mourning all of mine.

If my vet has been treating the dog and things don't work out no charge to PTS

We bring them home to bury

If there is one that has not sick or been treated $70

Our vets are great take their time till we are ready explain why it can't be fixed

Even show me on a computer what's happened and how it's happened

We can stay there as long as we want the female vet and one lovely young vet nurse

Even cry with me

I wish I had a vet like that.

So am I the only person here who was asked to pay about $140 for a group cremation?