The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

Guest lavendergirl

Reminds me that we need to be settled with our choice of vet before we have to face this issue. Do our research and have a talk to the vet we are using and ask how they handle PTS cases so we can decide well in advance whether we are happy with the approach the vet takes and have a plan in mind for when the time comes.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lavendergirl

Just a couple points:

1. Not sure about other states in Oz but under Brisbane city council law (health rules regulations blah blah blah) you cannot bury an animal unless it is done to exact specifications, hence why there are now 'pet cemetries' and 'pet crematoriums'.

2. Scenario 1 ->9 yr old Cat very ill diagnosed with Feline diabetes, decision made to Euthanise, cost of consult & diagnosis $60, remaining cost including disposal $40 I have been attending same vet practice for 27yrs.

3. Scenario 2 ->13yr old small breed dog end stage heart failure, becomes dramatically unwell late at night, rushed to a referred after hours vet clinic, explain at reception situation and that I wanted him PTS, dog is taken away I request to go with him, I am told emergency out back with another patient etc etc, wait 30mins, insist on action all this time my dog is alone in back room, finally vet nurse comes out rudely tells me "they are busy", another 15 mins pass, vet comes out tells me worst case scenario, yes your dog is very ill we have done a echo scan of heart, have him on ventilator, done all these unnecessary procedures, I totally lost the plot and screamed at him telling him I brought dog in to have him PTS, we then went out back dog was connected to every imaginable peice of equipment, I said my goodbye and it was all removed, clinically he was already gone nothing needed to be done to help him on his way. Then I arranged for him to be collected by a pet company who did an amazing compassionate job for $275 and he is always with me here at home. The total vet cost for that night was $1500 this nearly cost me my sanity :mad

Shortly after all this happened it was reported in the media about suspicious vet practice whereby this clinic were preying on human emotions, misdiagnosing and doing unnecessary procedures, all for the almighty dollar which of course when you are vulnerable you pay, :eek: they were subsequently shut down, run out of town not that it was of help to me or all the other people they took advantage of. We did try to take legal action but it all was useless as 'company' was wound up and debtors took over. :(

You poor thing - that is a terrible story. I would be reluctant to pay the bill in that circumstance when they went against your specific instructions but you're right people are at their most vulnerable at that time and will pay anything sometimes.

My boy died in my arms almost exactly 7 days ago. ( at 8:30)

The vets tried to save him and couldn't.

I pay money into their bank each week. I asked them not to send a bill, I don't want to see it and don't care how much it Is.

I got his ashes back on Sunday and it wasn't cheap. Once again I didn't worry about price. I would pay triple that if I had to.

I'm not rich, I struggle to live each week, but I have a good relationship with the vets and they are fine with our agreement.

My boy gave me so much in life, it's the least I could do for him

My sympathy, Teebs.

Just a couple points:

1. Not sure about other states in Oz but under Brisbane city council law (health rules regulations blah blah blah) you cannot bury an animal unless it is done to exact specifications, hence why there are now 'pet cemetries' and 'pet crematoriums'.

2. Scenario 1 ->9 yr old Cat very ill diagnosed with Feline diabetes, decision made to Euthanise, cost of consult & diagnosis $60, remaining cost including disposal $40 I have been attending same vet practice for 27yrs.

3. Scenario 2 ->13yr old small breed dog end stage heart failure, becomes dramatically unwell late at night, rushed to a referred after hours vet clinic, explain at reception situation and that I wanted him PTS, dog is taken away I request to go with him, I am told emergency out back with another patient etc etc, wait 30mins, insist on action all this time my dog is alone in back room, finally vet nurse comes out rudely tells me "they are busy", another 15 mins pass, vet comes out tells me worst case scenario, yes your dog is very ill we have done a echo scan of heart, have him on ventilator, done all these unnecessary procedures, I totally lost the plot and screamed at him telling him I brought dog in to have him PTS, we then went out back dog was connected to every imaginable peice of equipment, I said my goodbye and it was all removed, clinically he was already gone nothing needed to be done to help him on his way. Then I arranged for him to be collected by a pet company who did an amazing compassionate job for $275 and he is always with me here at home. The total vet cost for that night was $1500 this nearly cost me my sanity :mad

Shortly after all this happened it was reported in the media about suspicious vet practice whereby this clinic were preying on human emotions, misdiagnosing and doing unnecessary procedures, all for the almighty dollar which of course when you are vulnerable you pay, :eek: they were subsequently shut down, run out of town not that it was of help to me or all the other people they took advantage of. We did try to take legal action but it all was useless as 'company' was wound up and debtors took over. :(

thats is terrible :)

Quote - My boy gave me so much in life, it's the least I could do for him

totally agree

Pet burial is big business, & I actually find the upselling of it often amounts to manipulation of owners at a very vulnerable time.

The vet who tried to do this to me was crossed off my list immediately.

I don't care how emotional I am (I was crying while asking the price), that is morally repugnant. Having had it happen once, I was a lot more suspicious the next call I made.

I don't understand why you think it's manipulation. Pet burial/creamation = big business. Human burial/cremation = even bigger business.

Vet's can't wait weeks for you to make up your mind about what you want to do with your deceased animal. Of course they are going to press you there and then about what you would like done.

I am not sure why some people are getting so agitated by those who are questioning the cost ?

Personally, it is not responsible pet ownership to either drive around from vet to vet dragging in Rover and asking how much. It is also not responsible to leave a dog in pain because you don't have the money. But, these are not things I am reading here.

If your relationship with your vet is "I have used the same vet/vet nurse for years, and the dog knows him/her" then I can understand that it would be more comfortable for the dog to spend their last moments knowing everyone that is there. However, if that is not the case, why does it matter to your dog.

In my situation, I have a 6yo dog. He goes to the vet for his annual check up/needles, and was desexed there, but that equates to less than 30 mins in his life with the vet (apart from time getting desexed, but that was not one on one time). I dont even know if he sees the same vet. More than likely not, I just ring for an appointment and see whoever. If (hopefully not) there are more visits required in the future, then the relationship may change.

Why should I blindly go to that vet if (when) the time comes? Prices quoted above show how much it varies. Think how much prices vary for needles, grooming, desexing etc.

Personally I care more about the attitude (right down to the receptionist), how quiet the practice is (if it can be planned, I would want the last appointment so that there are not other dogs barking etc), will they come to the house (or out to the car) well before I care about price. However, if the 'standard' rate is around $200 (or whatever) then I am not going to pay $600 unless there are other reasons.

Look at the human funeral business - some institutions dont give a rats toss bag, others work on guilting as much money as possible. Others genuinely empathise and work with you for the best solution (what ever that is, and what ever the cost is)

Vets can't wait weeks for you to make up your mind about what you want to do with your deceased animal. Of course they are going to press you there and then about what you would like done.

My vet did. When we took Poochie in for a follow up, it was discovered that her kidneys were failing and there was nothing that could be done for her. I wasn't expecting to hear this, as I'd assumed she'd just hurt her back or something. My family and I were in the consult room for around 2 hours discussing our options before we all decided on the toughest decision of my life -- to have her PTS.

I was beyond distraught after it happened to the point of even now not knowing how much it cost. My dad took care of the costs (Poochie was technically a family pet even though I took all responsibility for her) and he was just as upset as me.

I had no idea what to do with her do with her body and the resulting weeks caused many arguments with my family -- the decision was left up to me, which I hated because Poochie belonged to the whole family. Mum wanted the vet to "deal with it", my brothers didn't care either way, and I felt that Poochie deserved more than just being "got rid of". I spent many of my shifts at work crying in the staff toilets as I wasn't handling her death well at all and eventually I used the work phones to organise a cremation with Pets at Peace.

Whilst all this was going on, Poochie was kept in storage at my vet's clinic and I've never been more grateful to them. And they didn't even charge us for this. They are the loveliest clinic and I'll never go anywhere else.

I didn't get an urn for Poochie, I had her returned in a scatter box, which has a lovely name plaque on the top. Poochie's ashes were scattered in our garden as I know she would've liked, and her scatter box, candle and small vial I've kept of her ashes are on my desk with a lovely photo of her. I keep her collar, lead and name tag inside the box too and I'll never forget her. My vet clinc also sent a lovely sympathy card from everyone and I've got it on my desk too.

I am not sure why some people are getting so agitated by those who are questioning the cost ?

Personally, it is not responsible pet ownership to either drive around from vet to vet dragging in Rover and asking how much. It is also not responsible to leave a dog in pain because you don't have the money. But, these are not things I am reading here.

If your relationship with your vet is "I have used the same vet/vet nurse for years, and the dog knows him/her" then I can understand that it would be more comfortable for the dog to spend their last moments knowing everyone that is there. However, if that is not the case, why does it matter to your dog.

In my situation, I have a 6yo dog. He goes to the vet for his annual check up/needles, and was desexed there, but that equates to less than 30 mins in his life with the vet (apart from time getting desexed, but that was not one on one time). I dont even know if he sees the same vet. More than likely not, I just ring for an appointment and see whoever. If (hopefully not) there are more visits required in the future, then the relationship may change.

Why should I blindly go to that vet if (when) the time comes? Prices quoted above show how much it varies. Think how much prices vary for needles, grooming, desexing etc.

Personally I care more about the attitude (right down to the receptionist), how quiet the practice is (if it can be planned, I would want the last appointment so that there are not other dogs barking etc), will they come to the house (or out to the car) well before I care about price. However, if the 'standard' rate is around $200 (or whatever) then I am not going to pay $600 unless there are other reasons.

Look at the human funeral business - some institutions dont give a rats toss bag, others work on guilting as much money as possible. Others genuinely empathise and work with you for the best solution (what ever that is, and what ever the cost is)

I'm not sure why those agitating about cost are so stroppy about those who don't care.

I'd love to know which vets you use PS and not because I want to save money but because I am struggling to find a vet that actually gives a $h*t in Brisbane!

The ones I go to at the moment, granted at Bulimba, are OK, but not the best, I just don't get that animal loving feeling from her at all. And I pay a mint to see them because of the area they are in. I don't care about money I just want a vet who gives a damn.

I can recommend Park Ridge hospital...we've been with them for 9 years, had operations, emergencies and the lot...

Animal Options were very nice too, but we've only seen them twice.

You wouldn't believe how many people told us to put the dog down straight away. But we didn't. We gave her another chance and did all that we could. And because of this we have no regrets.

If we only cared about money, we would be a part of that crowd saying that we should have euthanized her from the start. And even though that would have saved us money (she had end-stage cancer), I'm still really glad that we got to spend those extra few weeks with her.

She wasn't in pain until the last few days.

I'm not sure why those agitating about cost are so stroppy about those who don't care.

Stroppy? It's not my problem that your arrogant about the reality of poverty. It's yours.

Edited by Penumbra

1344245540[/url]' post='5921721']
1344243635[/url]' post='5921679']

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

You're obviously not unemployed then.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

I haven't worked for over 12months and i'm as broke as they come.

I'm with others - no way would i shop around for the best price for putting any of my animals down. If i ever have to make that hard decision again they'll go to their normal vet and i'll pay whatever the cost it. The dog's will all be cremated and brought home to sit with the other dog and horse on the bookcase.

I wouldn't have had to shop around. I already knew of a place that would have done everything for $80. But when it came down to it, it was more of a question of what was best for the dog. And I chose to have her put to sleep by a vet she knew and trusted. I think I also thought that it would have been cruel to take her for another drive when she knew what was coming anyway.

Edited by Penumbra

You wouldn't believe how many people told us to put the dog down straight away. But we didn't. We gave her another chance and did all that we could. And because of this we have no regrets.

If we only cared about money, we would be a part of that crowd saying that we should have euthanized her from the start. And even though that would have saved us money (she had end-stage cancer), I'm still really glad that we got to spend those extra few weeks with her.

Stroppy? It's not my problem that your arrogant about the reality of poverty. It's yours.

You assume much and know nothing. Let me make it clear AGAIN. My concern about my dog's passing is about my dog only. I understand the dog you're talking about wasn't yours so I don't actually know how you felt about the poor creature other than complaining about the cost. Yes, you're stroppy and now you're just being nasty because you have no clue about anyone's circumstances let alone mine.

Nobody is being arrogant about the reality of poverty - we all understand that costs matter more to some people than others..

You could have shopped around and paid less, you chose not to pay less and are now complaining about it - what is it that you want to hear?

There are people on this forum that would take out a second mortgage on the house (or get an extra credit card) for their animals (I am one, my old staffords chemo, holistic support and ongoing treatment cost me in excess of $20K over 6 years - it was my choice to follow that route with him but I don't complain about it)...

I realise others would think that spending that sort of money is ludicrous and not even think of spending that sort of money on their animals.

Vets charge what they charge.. Different vets in different areas charge different amounts - it is up to YOU to shop around, if you don't agree with what is on offer at your local vet..

The fact that it was a group cremation is irrelevant - it was still a cremation for the pet and you requested it..

The society we live in dictates we pay for what we want but we also have the choice to shop around..

Maybe next time, shop around, so you are not so offended by the local vet and pet cremation business trying to make a living...

You assume much and know nothing. Let me make it clear AGAIN. My concern about my dog's passing is about my dog only. I understand the dog you're talking about wasn't yours so I don't actually know how you felt about the poor creature other than complaining about the cost. Yes, you're stroppy and now you're just being nasty because you have no clue about anyone's circumstances let alone mine.

I'm the one that's stroppy and nasty? :laugh:

The fact that it was a group cremation is irrelevant - it was still a cremation for the pet and you requested it..

No I didn't. I wasn't given any other choice. And my question still remains... what happens to the pets which aren't cremated?

The society we live in dictates we pay for what we want but we also have the choice to shop around..

Not always. For example, some people get free rides, while others live off of Home Brand.

1344325176[/url]' post='5922656']
1344323295[/url]' post='5922636']
1344316848[/url]' post='5922525']

1344310473[/url]' post='5922434']
1344308952[/url]' post='5922406']

I'm the one that's stroppy and nasty? :laugh:

Yes.

I rarely put newbies on ignore, even the downright ignorant ones, but you, ta ta.

Edited by Sheridan