The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

OK... so it is tough on anyone that has to have an animal put to sleep. In times of crisis (like when my cat was put to sleep) you rarely even look at the bill, you just throw over the counter the exact change or your credit/debit card.

However, with the rats I have had cause to occasionally call up and find out how much the process will cost. Especially after being charged extra last time when I requested that my rat be gassed/sedated before giving her the final injection. (cost me $30 extra - bringing the cost to $70 I think - no cost for removal as she came home with me)

Anyways, I have found that the cost of euthanasia seems to differ greatly for many reasons (I have had this discussion with a lot of rat owners so thought I would ask dog owners).

The area where you live, the vet practise, or the pounds where you can take your animal all seems to weigh heavily on the price on which you have to pay.

For instance, I was discussing with someone recently who had to pay $200 to have their old rottie put to sleep, and use the removal service as they lived in a rental. And yet, someone else I was speaking to only had to pay the local pound around $50 (not sure if they used the removal service or not).

This seems ridiculously absurd to me to have such a gross difference in the price. The lady with the first dog did not have the money to pay the vet fees and had to borrow money of friends/family because the vets insisted it be paid on the spot.

I know it is not an excuse, so please do not yell at me for my next comment, but it almost makes you understand why some people surrender their terminaly ill/injured/agressive/in-need-of-medical-attention pets... it is often cheaper to dump the animal than pay to have it put to sleep. Or worse, the animal gets left to suffer because they cannot pay for it...

I do not condone the dumpage of any animals... but to be charged $200 to have a dog put to sleep seems to be amazing to me.

So if you have had the unfortunate experience of having to deal with this with any pet (rat, dog, cat, bird, ferret, mouse) what has your experience been with costs?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's about $300 at my vets for euthanasia and disposal per large breed dog :love: So last year when my three Rotts were put to sleep, I was looking at almost a grand!!! I cant bear the thought of sending dogs off to an unknown vet and would much rather have a dog pts in a warm environment. Whenever rescues have been too ill to survive Ive had them pts there, would much rather fork out of my own pocket. Although I did notice on my bill, that with poundies they have deducted about 20% on their own accord which was nice. Wilma the Bull Mastiff with distemper was probably the most expensive dog to treat, only then to have to euthanase.

When I was in there the other day though, a young call had phoned in very upset saying her mouse was sick and she wanted it pts. The family are regular clients so they quoted her $5.

:love:

GOLLY! granted yours was not a regular situation... but that is quite a lot! If you do not mind me asking, were you able to pay over time - being that it was your regular vet?

$5 for a mouse is very sweet of them. I have been charged anywhere from $15 to $140 for rats. $140 included a necropsy to find out the reason for his death - these prices are all from the same vet practise. It changes every single time I go there.

Thanks for your post dru

It's a sad topic :party: , but an interesting one .

When we had to have our 19 year old cat put to sleep , it cost $30 in 1979 on a Sunday (surgery was open ) even the vet cried.......and then they send me a lovely Sympathy card the next day, thumbs up for a caring vet :love:

Our Dachie was put to sleep in 2000 and $40 up front, our usual vet was away and I had no choice but to use the replacement vet who was nice and answered all my questions but I wish my own vet who knew my dog would have been there.

No removal fees, as we took both home.

Which actually raises a question.....I have been told it's illegal to bury animals on residential properties.....does anyone know the legalities this ?

I actually thought it was illegal to bury any animal in your backyard...

but I have to be wrong there because vets would not release the body back to you if that was the case.

All of my rats get buried in huge big pots with plants so that when I move houses they can come with me and one day be buried on my own property.

However, with burying on a rental property... I think it is poor taste to bury your pet in someone elses backyard... Rental properties are often sold/renovated etc... *shudder* that is too much of concern for me to consider.. fluffy being disturbed...

However, with burying on a rental property... I think it is poor taste to bury your pet in someone elses backyard... Rental properties are often sold/renovated etc... *shudder* that is too much of concern for me to consider.. fluffy being disturbed...

I agree about Rentals although small animals like birds/rats should be ok .

we own our home and there's no way I will move unless our Dachie can come......have told hubbie he will be doing the digging up :love:

but I can't imaging leaving him (dachie lol) behind and what could happen should the new owner find him while making a new vegie plot..... :party:

I've noticed there are more Pet cemeteries now, has anyone used them ? That would be a lovely way to remember your pets .

I have Misty and Puddy buried in my garden??? I have never had that it was illegal and the vet never said anything to me about that I couldn't do it.

I have had a few animals cremated but it is very expensive as there is only on place in Vic that does it. I always go by how I feel when an animal finally goes.

Mind you I told my dad we couldn't move or he couldn't move til they were finally part of the earth.

Puddy and Misty were so full of life that it felt right to put them in the earth where they could become part of it again.

I agree with rental properties, I think you should let the landowner know what you are doing so what if for some reason they accidentally dug up the poor animal.

We have brought a few places over the years that have had little marks when loved ones were buried and we always made sue not to disturb it.

I think it is rather insensitive for the vet to insist you pay at the time if you are distressed. I am studying to be a vet nurse, so we cover how to deal with euthanasia in class, and we are always told if the owner seems really upset to send a bill later (or have the bill settled before the animal is euthanased so the owner doesn't have to think of money when they are upset).

Very tricky topic. Personally I have not yet had to deal with it with my pets - although my old dog is now nearly 14.

My vet is very good. Last year when two strays were beyond help we both stayed with them stroking them and telling them they were loved. He did not want to charge but I insisted that at least I pay for the requisits so he charged me what it cost him.

Then a cup of tea and a cry with the vet nurse.

I am having mine cremated if I am still renting so that they can come with me if I am living in Toowoomba I think I will still do the same even then, all will be placed in a in a communual urn and then when I go I can join them, then into the ocean from whence we came.

The circle of life so to speak.

Yes it is illegal but who cares?

Edited by Louise Brooks

Pet Cremation is what I wanted for my rats, but it is expensive. I think the minimum cost is something like $90 but that is when they cremate your pet with everyone elses pet and you get alocated a certain amount of ash... I was horrified that I would be ending up with not 100% of my pet!

So one day, when I can afford it, everyone who is buried in the pots I have, will all be sent off to be cremated together and put in one urn. Yes, the ash is mixed together, but at least they are still all your own pets!

Lia, I have had to deal with some very insensitive vets - one who scoffed at me when I said that I wanted my rat gassed first - that is why it was not a surprise when I found out she charged me extra.

Yet, they did not charge me as much to have my darling Xander put to sleep, as I had already paid for hospital care, that he did not need...

Talking about the death of our pets is a very tricky and emotional topic, but I think it is good to discuss simply because we can understand what happens a bit more before emotions take part. Many times I have had to rush to the vets with tears in my eyes... they know the look and quickly (usually) print off the form I have to sign before I even say a word... They are extremely caring in that manner.

I guess I am somewhat unlucky owning Pet Rats, as they only have a lifespan of 2-3 years. If you have many of them the same age, it is unfortunate but they all tend to die around the same time. I have lost about 10 animals in the last six months simply due to old age... :love: my latest passing away Thursday.. :party: He was coming up to two and a half... I find that my girls seem to live longer :party:

Since moving here I have lost two of my best friends. Ben, 13 months ago, and Jody, 10 years ago. Both times my Vet. had been treating them for illness. During an operation Jody was found to have cancer right through her organs so was put to sleep while still under. Ben had had a months on going treatment then he became so bad that the decision had to be made. I took him over on a Saturday morning. Both times there was no extra charge for PTS. Each time my Vet. phoned a couple of days later to see how I was coping. As I'm 150ks from him. I can phone any time and he will give advice, if it's something 'run of the mill' he will post me medication with no consultation fees etc. He's No.1 for me.

Guest Shadowboxer

When I had my 14 year old Boxer put to sleep in June 2000 the costs were:

Home visit........$40.00

Euthanasia........$20.00

Travel Km.........$13.00

Cremation (Pet 30-45kg)........$150.00

Total $223.00

I owe my vet literally thousands, however as Ive been a long term client they allow me to pay this off gradually. However just when I get ahead, I need their services again, lol. Victoria recently cost me two thousand, and Chops $200, so dont see myself getting bacl to zero in a hurry. Although admittedly this vet is on the pricier end than most, however I feel they are the best I have been to.

When nursing, we didnt ever ask clients to pay immediately after their consult, 99% of the time they were regulars so we knew would fix up the bill sooner or later. Most would pay when they came back in to collect the ashes, which....mind you is an extra couple of hundred.

I was told that it's not illegal to bury an animal in your yard, however it is to bury a human. I agree that it is distasteful to bury your pets on a rental property. If I were to bury pets it would be at my parents house where I know they wont ever be "interrupted".

I wouldn't bury Deets on my property for fear the others would dig him up *yuk*. He's getting cremated.

I think with these prices my creditcard would be able to hold it if it was for an emergency.

hmm.. nah I won't go into my vets $$ machine idea just yet.

Know it all too well..

About $140 - $200 a dog. Had to do it to two dogs last year through illness related problems.

The worst was when the vet sent me the Vaccination reminder for one dog, two months after putting him to sleep.

Needless to say.. I don't go to that vet any more.

When I told the other vet surgery I go to to take Ceaser off the books, they sent me a sympathy card.

This seems an awful lot to charge for one injection of a cheap drug. Maybe they are charging for taking care of the body?

I always do my own - burials, or cremations - and the last one was $40 to $45 depending on the weight, which I thought fair.

Re the digging up - we had a ghastly scenario with the pet white rabbit, and a few naughty dogs, but if you put a sheet of tin, or something heavy on the grave, that stops any digging.

I didn't know that burying an animal your back yard is illegal? As a kid my mum ran over my pet cat and killed it, and we buried it in the backyard and I even put up a cross.

We took a rat to the vet that needed to be put to sleep, and I think the vet charged us $2.00.

Also my mum had a dog put to sleep who had been sick for awhile and I don't think she was charged either.

My vet has never charged me to have my pets PTS. They come to my house so my babies are PTS in the comfort of their own home, they usually bring flowers and a card and several times the vet has actually helped me bury them . Having said that I am an extremely good client and think I may have paid for the new extension on their clinic so a few perks don't hurt.

This may upset some folks... :love:

We euthanise our own pets, and do our grieving in private..It is around 1.5 hrs. drive to the vet- and most of our animals would get very distressed with all the upheaval(not to mention us!!) we use firearms at point blank range which sounds awful, I know..but it is instant, the animal is in it's own spot and does not get at all distressed.

If a dog, and they're very old, they don't even realise. My old Mitch was extremely happy- he had his head halfway down a rabbit hole, sniffing hard( his nose was about the only thing working properly), so I guess he was still hunting when he went over the bridge.

My dear Kieran, who had bloat- I took him for a short car ride, to a place he liked to run in....

My Mum's old cat, who had a large tumour, was sunning himself under a shrub, quite happy. and our foal, who had a prolapsed hernia, was standing alongside his mum, under the tree where he was born. 12 mths. before.

Tiana I love the fact that your ratties are with you in the pot plants..our dogs for the past 40 yrs. are all on a hill overlooking the house. cats, chooks, guineafowl etc, are under fruit trees.

It is nice to hear of vets who don't charge a fortune.. where I worked, I always felt horrible..people had just lost a friend, were very upset, and they had to PAY!

The worst bit was getting them to sign a form authorising us to PTS their animal..it seemed so "official".

I must admit, I did take pride in "presenting " their pet for those that took them home...just making them look comfortable, and brushing ruffled coats, washing them if needed, and wrapping them in their blanket or whatever...It made people feel a bit better ..seeing how peaceful and pain-free their pet looked....

Sorry If I upset/annoyed anyone :party: