The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

Miko only took one shot to be PTS. Ceaser took two because of his body weight. The worst part of that, was he was fighting inbetween the two syringes,, spasimming. After he finally stopped breathing, one last sigh then his bladder emptied on the floor. Not very dignified for an old gentleman.

The cost of the disposal was only about $30.. the rest was for the consultation of $60, the Drug $120 for Ceaser.. Less for Miko.

Maybe they charge so much so that people do not put their animals to sleep quickly. Although if they are suffering with illness..don't know there..still hard decision. Even harder staying with the vet while they do it.. But it was the least I could do for them.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

man some of you have expensive vets! ours charged us 30 bucks and came out to the car when we had our 13 year old staffy PTS last year, sure a bigger dog would be more but 300?? thats daylight robbery, and no decent vet would do that, its a needle, not an op.

when our female Pitty in the US had to be PTS she took 2 shots as she fought it, THAT was destressing i can tell you, as we all hope they will simply go to sleep, and most do, but still the vet didn't charge more, not that i would have paid anyway, but really some of you need to have a real heart to heart with your vet if they are charging that much for a needle, and even if they take the body its usually no more than an extra 10 bucks.

if they charge 300 for a needle, hate to see what they charge for an op....

cougor

• 8 years later...

Hello everybody. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it would be better than starting a new one. Anyway, I was just wondering if $200 was a lot for the euphanization and (group) cremation of a 15kg dog? Cheers.

no, I paid more than that for my 4kg boy this year.

Edit: not really appropriate as my cost was a private cremation and return of ashes.

last i checked locally the cost was approx $50 on top of euthanasia cost for a group cremation.

Edited by gillbear

I paid $340 for euth and cremation.. Admittedly our vet spent a lot of time with us..

We took Ollie in about 3:30pm, he had an anesthetic, then we said our goodbyes and he was given the final injection..

We didn't leave until about 4:30pm

He was taken to be cremated and returned to us in a really lovely pottery urn, with a tag and his collar wrapped around the urn..

The dog was actually 14kg, and we were charged $225 (before the pensioner discount). What I don't understand is why did we have to pay for a group cremation if she was going to get a group cremation anyway? Or doesn't it work like that? It looks like we would have been better off going to the AWL or something like that. I guess that we just wanted to end her pain as soon as possible, instead of think about how we could save some money. Cheers.

I have my bill in front of me. On one bill was three deaths - god it was a bad month. My beautiful black mastif * PTS due to cancer at a cost of $85. His buddy GSD cost $85 a few months previously. We brought both home to bury. The same month my two 14 day old goat kids (only a few kilos each) also died within one day of each other of an unknown cause. Saturday night, the first to go down was too far gone to try and save so she was PTS straight away - cost $50 but no consult fee. The next on Sunday night - we tried to save him and many drugs and two sleepless nights later I decided his little body could only take so much so PTS. The 3 hour consult cost $175, PTS not charged and the drugs were at cost at $162. Total $387. By my calculation it should have been closer to $800 or more. But I guess the vet couldn't see it in her to charge someone $800 for two dead baby goats.

We got our dwarf lop ear rabbit PTS early this week. Cost was $101 - which included an "emergency" appointment as we were hoping he could be saved.

He came home and is buried in the front yard (couldn't go in the back as the dog's would dig him up).

Sorry pepe001. And sorry to everybody else for their losses also.

So I probably did get screwed than, eh? I would have taken her to her home and buried her, but her owner wouldn't have handled seeing her body very well. That's the main reason we chose to have her cremated. But why was I forced to pay for the cremation if she was going to be cremated anyway? I mean, if we left the dog at the vet without paying for the group cremation, she would still end up getting one, right? Or do we have landfills and such like they do in America for PTS animals that are left at the vet?

Edited by Penumbra

So I probably did get screwed than, eh? I would have taken her to her home and buried her, but her owner wouldn't have handled seeing her body very well. That's the main reason we chose to have her cremated. But why was I forced to pay for the cremation if she was going to be cremated anyway? I mean, if we left the dog at the vet without paying for the group cremation, she would still end up getting one, right? Or do we have landfills and such like they do in America for PTS animals that are left at the vet?

Yes there are landfills. But there is a fee for that as well that will vary depending on the council.

Unless you take away the dog yourself, there will be some fee involved with storage, transport and disposal. The price of the drug isn't high, but you are paying for a vet to administer it with care and expertise. I don't think you were screwed over on price.

1344245540[/url]' post='5921721']
1344243635[/url]' post='5921679']

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

You're obviously not unemployed then.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

No idea how much it costs and I don't care. When putting to sleep a beloved family member, money isn't something that factors into my thinking.

It would make no difference whether I was employed, on a low income or unemployed. I would not shop around to have a family member euthanised as if I was buying a new fridge.

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

Because someone has to pay for the costs! and that's the owner!

Sounds like you've never been unemployed. You have no idea.

I'm with Sheridan, and I have been unemployed. It's part and parcel of pet ownership.

Yes there are landfills. But there is a fee for that as well that will vary depending on the council.

Unless you take away the dog yourself, there will be some fee involved with storage, transport and disposal. The price of the drug isn't high, but you are paying for a vet to administer it with care and expertise. I don't think you were screwed over on price.

Thanks Greytmate. I don't regret doing it. We even made sure that it was done by the vet which she was already seeing. I guess it's just that I'm a broke old cynic. And I want to know if this is a vet I can go to again.