The Cost Of Euthanasia

tianakaesha

Are you talking about the Animal Welfare League, zeebie? Because that's who took care of my friend after we ordered a general cremation (at the vet) for her. Great post by the way. And I'm very sorry for your loss. Just keep remembering that you were lucky to have her for the time you did. Because she could have left you when she was four months old. But she didn't... because you saved her. :hug:

thank you penumbra for your kind and thoughtful words, no we don't have AWL here in Brisbane (well we do but they only look after rescue animals and fostering etc)My 9yr old moggie was given a send off at the vet and taken by the animal waste management department attached to the council. My recent loss in June we found her in a neighbours yard 4 days after the dogs attacked her in my yard. I don't blame the dogs but I do blame the owner who constantly let his 2 wolfhounds roam the suburb and terrorise children and small animals alike, but this won't bring her back. :(

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So sorry to hear that, zeebie. I won't say much else, as I don't want to say something which may make you upset. But let me just say that it's things like this that give me more respect for animals than the human race. And it's also things like this which really make me fear for our future. So I see where you're coming from. And you have every right to be angry. And I think that you should exert that anger in the healthiest way you can. Because although hate is a destructive emotion, anger can be quite a constructive emotion. And it does no good to keep it all bottled up anyway (not that you are). Sorry again for your loss. One day at a time...

PS - Don't forget that everybody has at least one story of trauma in their lives. You are by no means alone.

thank you penumbra for your kind and thoughtful words, no we don't have AWL here in Brisbane (well we do but they only look after rescue animals and fostering etc)My 9yr old moggie was given a send off at the vet and taken by the animal waste management department attached to the council. My recent loss in June we found her in a neighbours yard 4 days after the dogs attacked her in my yard. I don't blame the dogs but I do blame the owner who constantly let his 2 wolfhounds roam the suburb and terrorise children and small animals alike, but this won't bring her back. :(

How awfull:(

AWL does cremations here via Pets Eternal. We used Pets Eternal , too.

Edited by Katrinka

Guest lavendergirl

Are you talking about the Animal Welfare League, zeebie? Because that's who took care of my friend after we ordered a general cremation (at the vet) for her. Great post by the way. And I'm very sorry for your loss. Just keep remembering that you were lucky to have her for the time you did. Because she could have left you when she was four months old. But she didn't... because you saved her. :hug:

Zeebie - I am quite sure that AWL Gold Coast offers a cremation service to Brisbane as well:

http://www.awlqld.com.au/pet-cremation-brisbane-gold-coast/

• 3 weeks later...

I recently had my 14 year old Great Dane put to sleep. It cost me $125. That's $100 less than the Kelpie (my uncle's dog)... I still have no regrets going to the vet who put the Kelpie down though. Because for one, it allowed me to be with her (unlike if I were at the AWL). And secondly, I just think that the vet was trying to make some money back for some of the free tests he gave us. Veterinary clinics are money-relying entities after all.

Both situations were quite different when it came to payment. With the Kelpie, I paid the full amount right after she was put down (not a good feeling). And with the Great Dane, he was put down, and then I was given an installment plan the day afterwards (much better). So, like others have said, you really should work out a payment time before going ahead with the euthanasia. It really does help. Just speaking from personal experience, I was so glad that I didn't have to work out a payment plan/time on the day my dog died. It's the last thing you want to be thinking about.

Even paying right before it happened would be better than paying afterwards I reckon. Because afterwards you most probably wouldn't want to do anything but go home. Peace.