My Dog Just Had A Fit Or Seizure

SueM

HI,

Sorry to hear about your little one.

Something very similar happened to my 4 year old maltese x.

Completely out of the blue she had a seizure. In her case there were no warning signs, she just suddenly arched her back and then it was as if she was completely paralysed. There was no foaming/character change/ frothing etc etc. I held her and then 60 secs later she got up and walked away as if nothing had happened. (leaving me in a complete state of panic)

In her case it happened again two days later. I got her to the vets who ran blood tests etc etc. Whilst waiting for the results she had two more "seizures".

The end result was that she was prescribed phenobarbitol tablets. She took them for 6 months has not had another episode and is now in the clear.

There can be so many reasons why this happened - in my case the house was being re-tiled and although we were out all day I firmly believe it was the smell of the chemicals used to glue the tiles.

Keep an eye on your dog and if it happens again definitely go back to the vets ( the reason being that the more frequently the seizures happen the deeper and easier the neural networks activate in the brain - or so my vet said)

Good luck and fingers crossed - it is so worrying.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

He has had two episodes identical to each other now a month apart and a very mild one a week ago not even sure if it was one or not so I will pop him off to the vets tomorrow....Thanks for watching it gives me an idea of what he could have hopefully with medication he will be ok,even diet can be a factor as well I was reading so will change that a bit as well....

Edited by varicool

Poor little guy. I'd be shooting a pm off to puggles but not sure if she's away at the mo or not varicool. Not having a great deal of experience with it all I can suggest is keeping him pretty quiet on hot days but I'll await further advice from puggles today or your vet tomorrow.

It certainly looks like seizure activity to me. Although his paddling is not obvious it certainly is there as well so I would say he is having a tonic/clonic or gand mal seizure.

I couldn't tell if he was vocalising as my daughter has stolen my speakers for her ipod *rolls eyes*.

Blood tests would rule out any problems with certain conditions that cause seizures but if it is epilepsy the tests will come back clear and you will still be wondering. Unfortuneately the condition is still very much a mystery.

Monte actually becomes very restless after his seizures and will pace the floor for an hour or more after the seizures have subsided.

Perhpas the Vet will start you on Phenobarbitone now?

I may not see your response if you post after tonight as I am travelling up north for a week and will not have internet access during this time.

Good luck - *hugs* to you both.

Hi their after viewing the video my vet is confident that it is early onset epilepsy, he is starting him on the drug you mentioned Puggles, now deciding what time to give it to him as it has to be given the same time every day, he is confident that as he had them a month apart that it rules out a lot of the other things it could of been, so we will take regular bloodtests once he is on the medication for a while.....My video thing on my camera doesnt have sound but no he makes no noise at all during them....

Glad to see it is nothing more serious. Epilepsy is a condition they can live with at least.

Has the Vet prescribed the Pheno over 2 daily doses?

It is really, really important it is given 12 hours apart and at the same time every day.

I medicate Monte at 5.30am and 5.30pm. There is a leeway of around 30 minutes or so and I must admit to having been late on the evening dose on the odd occassion by up to an hour and a half which is not good. It is very, very difficult though to live your life to the exact same time every day of the year for years on end.

On weekends I medicate him and then go back to bed for a while. During the week I stay up once he has been done.

The reality is that my alarm is set for 5.30am 365 days a year. No sleep-ins ever. I can't just take off overnight either without having someone staying at my home who is prepared to get up at 5.30am. I have chosen this time as it suits my workday.... and I can't just suddenly change it at every whim *grimace*

It is also important that you asses his meals. He is best being given the medication with food. He may also experience some nausea from it, increased thirst (which also means increase in urine output... this is something that needs looking at if he sleeps inside at night), some weakness in the hind legs (usually on higher doses...aka ataxia), lethargy, increased appetite and a slight change in personality.

Most of this will settle after a few months. Be patient. It takes a long time to sort the medication out and a long time for it to settle in their system.

Hi varicool,

That video made me feel Ill sorry you have to go thru that

I really hope Harvey is O.K? my angel annie had epilepsy but her seizures were very different to Harvey's. Fingers crossed the meds work for you. I have since had my Angel Annie pts due to her having a stroke after having brain surgery to hopefully fix her having seizures, I really think if it weren't for the stroke she'd be here today and "S" free. Annie was on a highish dose and I didn't like the puppy she became (doopy,Lethargic etc)

Good luck you will find a wealth of knowledge on. My prayers are with you and harvey..

Edited by Owned by Shelties

Hi he has started him on a dose of half a tablet daily still not sure when to give it evening or morning as he said it could make him sleepy,he said to see how he goes on that and also he may be able to come off it in 12 months if all is well....Thanks for all the advice and well wishes, still not sure when to give it arghhhhh decisions decisions.....Have decided on morning doses will give him a small meal with it and see how he goes......

Edited by varicool

Hi he has started him on a dose of half a tablet daily still not sure when to give it evening or morning ...

Under direction of my Vet I had to administer Kal's doseage every 12 hours so that the effects remained steady. Half in morning. Half at night. Was awkward splitting the half size pills into quarters, but with a pill splitter it was do-able.

Edited by Erny

Hopefully the drugs will mean he doesn't have any more or they are reduced in severity. I have a border collie girl on pheno, she is back on it after 2 years with no drugs and no seizures (she is a bit different as the seizures have a cause: brain injury). We had some bloods just back today and at the lowest point...just before her next pill is due... she is *just* below the "correct range". On this dose she is still her normal self and went tracking yesterday and did agility practice today. Previously she was on a higher dose and this made her woozy and lethargic and she didn't want to go for a walk, let alone anything more strenuous than that. So it appears for now we have things right (fingers crossed). If she has more actual seizures we will try and add a different drug.

Even on the drugs if she gets over-excited she will start doing some "seizurey-type things" which are really subtle unless you know her well, but not actually have a seizure so we try and not let her get over-excited, or too hot, or stressed in any way.

Puggles suggested some very good websites, read as much as you can!

Wondering why your vet suggested one dose a day? All dogs i know on Pb have it 12 hours apart...kc has hers 8am and 8pm. With her morning biscuit and her dinner.

I watched the video of your wee guy, poor thing, it is scary, isn't it? :love: Sending a hug for Harvey!