General Heath Information

What is the best recommendation for keeping flies away from your dogs ears etc??

Products & Home Remedies please? :laugh:

I just noticed a few weeks back that fly's were hanging out on the ends of my 6mnth old GSD's rather large ears when I touched them a small amount of dots of blood came off on my fingers the little b*stards have been biting them so I got this product off the vet Ilium Fly Ointment 50gm the fly's hate it haven't touched his ears since it's only about $7 and lasts for ages.

Don't know of any home remedies though sorry ?

there's a product by virbac called septicide. it's an antibiotic cream with insecticide. i find it's good for wounds but not so good for keeping the flies away. just make sure you wear gloves when you apply it bcoz it stains ur hands yellow for a bit.

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best recommendation for keeping flies away from your dogs ears etc??

Products & Home Remedies please? :eek:

two options i have used that work well

mix 3-6parts detol

1 part metho

1 part vege oil

shake it and apply to ears, flies will stay away, only problem is teh oil will collect a bit of dirt so you need to wash them every few days or it gets gunky

or

get some of that tape from the chemist that is white with holes in it... not sure of the name but you can buy it in long lenghts, eg 1metre

cut and put that over the dogs ears... will stay there for a day or so and in that time no flies will bite thru it.. when it falls off replace

• 3 months later...

this is a great thread, loving dolforums

I have a 12mo female whippet who had red slightly red rash on her chest and elbows, I think it may be from her lying the the grass on the lawn. I am a doctor but am not sure what to do about it. It doesn't worry her at all but it doesn't look nice.

Any remedies

• 3 weeks later...

This post is somthing have been lookng for a long time now. thnkas everyone for all of the tips and pointers about everything you should know about products for your dogs. also i had a quick question - on my dogs toes right where the nail starts to be covered by the hair, that part, hopefully im explaing this right but its been getting kind of buised it looks sometimes like dry blood. i keep her nails trimmed very well and i thought that that would help. It has gotten a little better but i dont know what it is from does anyone have a suggestion or reason why this happens?? It would be greatly appreciated :)

• 2 months later...

Sore Eyes, Watery Eyes, Yucky Eyes

Use : Brolene eyedrops - you can get them from the chemist and they take 1 to 2 days to work. They are safe for dogs.

To Put Weight on Your Dog

Feed chicken carcasses or chicken frames in addition to normal dog food. Josh lost over 10kg when sick and by feeding him chicken carcasses (1 to 2 a day) he is putting on 1/2 kg each week.

Signs of tetanus in dogs:

Drawn up ears right on the top of the head, wrinkling the forehead. Unable to put them down.

Wide eyed expression, unable to blink.

Third eyelid comes across eyes when startled.

Stiff muscles generally, tail out straight, unable to relax. Possible spasms and convulsions. Trouble opening mouth (lockjaw). Trouble eating/drinking. Rocking horse posture whilst laying down and stiff gait if able to walk. Can develop to full paralysis.

Action to be taken:

Vet ASAP. Request full bloodwork. Check CPKs to see if muscles breaking down. Check heart rate and make sure lungs are clear. Check urine for clarity and colour. Dog to be kept as calm as possible, preferably in darkened room.

Medicines:

Penicillin to kill the bacteria, Anti-toxin to bind to free toxins in blood to prevent further damage (will not undo damage already caused) and toxoid (vaccine), valium or rebaxin for muscle relaxant.

Hospitalisation if not eating/drinking, goes into convulsions, heart rate to be monitored. Catheter if not urinating.

• 5 weeks later...

Colloidal Silver - natural anti- fungal, virus, bacteria antibiotic drops. Use straight as a ear drops, eye cleanse for conjunctivitis in dogs.

- Dilute Colloidal Silver and use as a skin rinse to rid fungal infection on animals who have smelly itchy coats (usually brought on by using chemical antibiotics that destroy the good gut flora).

• 4 weeks later...

My Boy has a really dry nose and has had for 5 days now. I have read that there is nothing to be alarmed about as a dry nosed dog being sick is an old myth.

Can anyone recommend something to help soothe it? Or can anyone help with a cause?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

My Boy has a really dry nose and has had for 5 days now. I have read that there is nothing to be alarmed about as a dry nosed dog being sick is an old myth.

Can anyone recommend something to help soothe it? Or can anyone help with a cause?

Thanks in advance :D

I have a tub of Paw Balm made by Fuzzyard Organic that I use on my boys nose when it looks a bit dry. It's good stuff, all the ingredients are natural (main ingredients are castor oil, beeswax and shea butter) and it smells really nice. I actually use it on my feet too :(

I would second using the Lucas Paw Paw ointment too. :(

one other important thing in using these treatments is that one of them (i'll come back and edit the post to tell you WHICH one on monday) only kills part of the flea cycle. so while it sterilises the adult fleas so they can't breed (and kills all their eggs and larvae) you may still have fleas on the dog for a while or need to use another product simutaneously..

Sentinel Spectrum (comes in beef-flavoured chewable tablets rather than spot-on) only kills part of the flea cycle as you have mentioned.

• 2 months later...

Treatment for simple Diahorrea

Dog should fast for 24 hours. During that time make up & give dog some Lectaide or similar electrolyte replacement drink so that the dog does not get dehydrated.

Prepare chicken and rice by boiling cut up chicken breast and rice together for about 1/2 hr. Feed only this chicken & rice mix to the dog for approx. 4 days - no chews or treats.

Mixture can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and should be given to the dog in small meals approx. 3 times daily. If dog tolerates this well and no more diahorrea is evident then continue to feed this for approx. 4 days then gradually introduce normal diet. No bones until the dog is 100% better and back on normal diet.

Remember - If dog is lethargic, has an elevated temperature or is not drinking then take it to the vet ASAP.

Got a quick question for all of you :)

I'm just about to buy the dogs some heart worm tablets. I am looking at getting the Interceptor Spectrum tablets. Previously they have been given the yearly heartworm shot but I'm not keen to continue it. I noticed this particular brand has tablets that are for 11-22kg, Daisy is 17kg and Micha is 27kg. Can I be cheap and lazy and buy the same sized packet for both of them? Or does Micha really need the tablet that is 5kg more in his weight range?

Got a quick question for all of you :)

I'm just about to buy the dogs some heart worm tablets. I am looking at getting the Interceptor Spectrum tablets. Previously they have been given the yearly heartworm shot but I'm not keen to continue it. I noticed this particular brand has tablets that are for 11-22kg, Daisy is 17kg and Micha is 27kg. Can I be cheap and lazy and buy the same sized packet for both of them? Or does Micha really need the tablet that is 5kg more in his weight range?

I'd say get the large breed (i think its 22-45kg?), its usually only an extra $5 or so, and give Micha a whole one and Daisy a half. That way Micha is definitely getting all the coverage for his weight, and 17 x 2 = 34 which is within the large breed range so halving it is perfect for Daisy

We all do it at work and quite often recommend it to clients, saves them heaps! Interceptor doesn't actually say you can, but there's no obvious reason why not. I mean, with other worming treatments such as drontal you give half a tab, 1 and a half tabs etc depending on the size of the dog.

But given that it's heartworm and probably the main scary one, you'd want to make sure Micha is getting fully covered.

Edited by Bindii

• 1 month later...

Ok General Health experts .... here's a new one.

Asher has 2 areas on one of his back legs that have dermatitis on them. He has been pretty good lately but if it gives him more grief in the future, what would you recommend I use to soothe the area or eliminate the problem?

• 3 months later...

Are there any 'human' medications that we can give our dogs when they are in pain.

Sometimes my girls go too hard at the beach and are a bit sore, limping at night. Not enough to take them to the vet but enough for me to want to help with their pain.

Just curious. I know panadol is out of the question but what about anti inflammatories??

Medications to NOT give your dog:

Ibuprofen works to block the chemicals in the body that cause pain, fever and inflammation. This drug is found in many anti-inflammatory products on the market and it can be potentially toxic to dogs, especially smaller breeds. Giving even one tablet of Ibuprofen to pets can cause gastric ulceration.

Paracetamol causes extreme breathlessness by dangerously altering the red blood cells. It changes the red pigment of the blood (haemoglobin) into a compound known as methaemoglobin. This substance does not carry oxygen and results in the animal's gums and lips turning blue. Fluid-like swelling occurs around the face and the pet begins gasping for breath.

Aspirin is also a danger. It causes intense irritation of the intestines and a loss of appetite. Vomiting and depression also occur.

Other human medications that you should keep away from your dog include any containing phenylbutazone, indomethacin, naproxen, acetaminophen and codeine.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok I have a question for any vets etc who might be on here

I have a three month old Australian Shepherd bitch who has started bleeding as if she is in season and my males are very interested in her, It is way to young for her to be having a proper season I would have thought so any ideas???