How To Leave My Puppy Home Alone

Meetu

My puppy is 13 weeks old and she spends 5 days a week home alone while my partner and I are at work. Some days can be up to 12 hours. When we get home, we get changed and take her for a 45 minute run around at the oval next door. Do some training and just muck around with her, we then feed her and she then spends some time with us inside before going out for bed. On the weekends we do the same and are home for most of the time.

I asked many questions before getting a puppy in terms to being alone etc - some breeds are better then others for it or so i hear, but obviously a dog would rather be with you then not. But in the end as i was told the dog will get used to your schedule and as long as you don't buy a dog just to shove them in the backyard and never speak to them, as many of my friends have done - it can work. I just read some of you saying, why did you get a dog if you work all day. I don't want to have to miss out on the fantastic dog i have at home just cause i work... I love her to death and will do anything for her, but i need to work as does my partner and we have done everything at home to keep her entertained during the day - so far we have had no problems. Her final puppy class is this week and we are currently in the process of enrolling her in further training, hoping to keep her mind busy and her as happy as we can.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meetu - cockers can manage to twist you around their little finger in no time at all :(

When mine was young I used the time that I was at home to get her used to the idea of being on her own and rewarding her for it. I would go out for short periods of time (10-15 mins), when she was quiet and being good I would quickly reward her for being "brave" on her own. This involved alot of lurking around, but it didn't take long for her to understand that I would be back and she would get a reward. I gradually built up the time frame over a period of weeks. However I felt guilty leaving her for long periods of time ..... which is why I now have 2 :thumbsup:

There is a nine month gap between them, which has worked out well, as the first has basic obedience and has taught the younger one the household rules. It gives me peace of mind to know that they are not on their own and they are mostly content and well behaved. When I was looking into part time carers, dog walkers etc, the consistent advice I got was to have two to keep each other company. Not what I wanted to hear at the time, but the advice was good. Also, it's hard to stop at one!

Good luck - cockers are wonderful companions and will respond quickly to positive reinforcement. Although they can take advantage if given the opportunity :thumbsup:

I have to admit, I have left my 10 wk old puppy at home for 12hrs and 1 minute. I felt terrible. I have left her for 8hrs before that twice when she was only 8 1/2 weeks. She's a staffy. She has a huge run inside the house which we've covered in newspaper with a lot of toys to chew. We have antique furniture where she's kept and she has not chewed it ever! I hopeful that it will never happen. I feed her breakfast before leaving and taking her to the backyard for a walk. I clean her bowl and put food in it before we leave. When I get home, the food is usually pretty much gone. She is doing her no.1 and 2's in almost the same spot. I say almost because she's started going to an area she never used to visit. Generally, I take her to work everyday, but there will be plenty of times when this wont be possible. She is on the balcony behind me. As she is not fully vaccinated yet, she has to survive with having newspapers on the floor. Until she's good to go outside for a walk, she's not going to become truly toilet trained.

I am a responsible pet owner, but as one responder said, we've gotto all go to work! We should't be too quick to judge others.

My puppy is 13 weeks old and she spends 5 days a week home alone while my partner and I are at work. Some days can be up to 12 hours. When we get home, we get changed and take her for a 45 minute run around at the oval next door. Do some training and just muck around with her, we then feed her and she then spends some time with us inside before going out for bed. On the weekends we do the same and are home for most of the time.

I asked many questions before getting a puppy in terms to being alone etc - some breeds are better then others for it or so i hear, but obviously a dog would rather be with you then not. But in the end as i was told the dog will get used to your schedule and as long as you don't buy a dog just to shove them in the backyard and never speak to them, as many of my friends have done - it can work. I just read some of you saying, why did you get a dog if you work all day. I don't want to have to miss out on the fantastic dog i have at home just cause i work... I love her to death and will do anything for her, but i need to work as does my partner and we have done everything at home to keep her entertained during the day - so far we have had no problems. Her final puppy class is this week and we are currently in the process of enrolling her in further training, hoping to keep her mind busy and her as happy as we can.

i wont add anything more here , but i dont think a 10 week old pup should be left for 10 hrs a day.

the only other thing that concerns me is, taking 10 12 13 week old pups for long walks day and night. or 45 min runs.. IMO that is just to much for a young pup.. a free run and a play is enough

i wont add anything more here , but i dont think a 10 week old pup should be left for 10 hrs a day.

the only other thing that concerns me is, taking 10 12 13 week old pups for long walks day and night. or 45 min runs.. IMO that is just to much for a young pup.. a free run and a play is enough

Sorry, i didn't mean we take her and make her run for 45 minutes, i meant for 45 minutes she is out of the house and in that time we run around the oval, do some training and just muck around with her. I know that it is not good to over exercise a puppy, but she does need to get out, besides, she tells us when she has had enough but just sitting and not wanting to move, so we take her home.

'LilyW' date='29th Nov 2006 - 10:35 AM' post='1386800']

Sorry, but that is a long time for a dog, let alone a pup. :thumbsup:

The other thing that really concerns me is that your taking a 13 week old puppy (who wouldnt be fully vaccinated yet anyway) for a 45 minute run around the oval? :(

Thats too much exercise for a puppy, they recommend some free play and very short slow walks at that age ( I had to walk mine around the backyard for leash training because she couldnt go for a walk on the ground until 16 weeks due to not being fully vaccinated).

Edited by Cazbear

Sorry, but that is a long time for a dog, let alone a pup. :thumbsup:

The other thing that really concerns me is that your taking a 13 week old puppy (who wouldnt be fully vaccinated yet anyway) for a 45 minute run around the oval? :(

Thats too much exercise for a puppy, they recommend some free play and very short walks at that age ( I had to walk mine around the backyard for leash training because she couldnt go for a walk on the ground until 16 weeks due to not being fully vaccinated).

I explained in the post above what we do and she is fully vaccinated, i wouldn't risk taking her out if she wasn't. I am the biggest worry wort on the face of the earth and i have spent the last 4 weeks ringing the vet and at puppy school asking question after question after question... It is very hard to raise a puppy when one person says one thing and another person says another thing.. but i have been following vets advice and they have said that puppies can adapt to being alone, i don't have a choice. The times i am home i spend every minute with her and she is very well looked after. I wouldn't have gotten a dog if it was going to be an issue and i was advised when buying it is not. I don't feel good that she is at home all day but she is spoiled and adored by me and my boyfriend and i would rather her be with us then someone who just completely ignores there dog and i know many people that do that.....

I have 2 weeks off over xmas and will be spending that time with my pup.. I don't plan to be working forever but for now i don't have a choice but have no regrets for the great little companion and friend i have at home.

still even 45 mins is a lot.. my pup is 8 months old,.. at training the class is 45 mins.. he just makes it through that,, and i give him a lot of little breaks..

i train at home in the back yard then take him to the park for a free run for 10 mins or so

or a short 5 min walk up the street to the park for offleash run

Hi Akitaowner - Hopefully the picture gets uploaded this time round :laugh:

LilyW - OMG you sound just like me! I'm an absolute worry wort too and just getting used to the idea that my babywill be crying for me while I'm away at work :rofl: Like yourself I too have made like a million phone calls and have been told that dogs WILL ADJUST TO YOUR SCHEDULE so fingers crossed I'm sure our babies will adjust :rofl: I too am looking forward to Christmas as we want to spend all our time with him.

As Akitaowner mentioned I too have read and heard that getting another puppy doesn't necessarily solve any problems so I have definitely discarded that idea for now but in future might think of another one. I guess this is quite a debatable topic but the bottom line is that we are madly in love with our dogs and hence are memebers in this forum.

Tomorrow will be SIMBA's first day home alone & I will let you all know how it goes.

Cheers

Meetu

Edited by Meetu

You guys do realise that some breeders do actually work as well as breed & it is very likely that some of the dogs you have in your homes have been left for long periods of time as puppies dont you?

My goodness at least Meetu was asking for ideas & not just sitting back & leaving the pup to its own devices & nothing to do

when my boy was a pup - i worked near home and was lucky enough to be able to go home at lunchtime to feed and play.

at present both my dogs are outside when we are not home and are fine for lon periods of time. More often than not my OH is home (he often works nights) but sometimes he works days and we are both out for 10hrs - mine are fine with this - my boy has gradually got used to increasing periods of time and my pup is fine a settled well to his routine

having dogs and working a lot is not impossible - admittedly not always ideal but dogs adapt and so do we :laugh:

Im sure everyone would rather be spending time at home with a puppy than working but thats life - better to be prepared and get some help with suggestions and training.

As i was told by my breeder, a dog is a dog, it is not a baby and should not be treated like a baby cause that is when it can be hard. I have also been told that my dog being out for 20 mins, 30 mins, 45 mins is fine as long as she is happy and she is. She is stuck in the backyard all day cause we are working and i strongly believe it is better for her to have some time out in the open to enjoy herself and she loves it.

I think i will stop using this forum for advice and to continue to use the behavioral vet at my clinic. Some people on here do know what they are talking about and are very helpful with advice so i thank those members but it seems some people are more judgmental. If i have been told that something is ok by a breeder or a vet then i am happy with that, so if i want to come on here and let someone else know who is in the same situation as me that they are not alone, then i will. But for some reason people start replying saying, oh that is not right and that is not right... well for me it is, it has to be... and my dog is loved, adored - well looked after. Log onto RSPCA, your local council, lort smith etc any sites and look at the poor animals that have been dumped or hurt etc - tell their owners off - not the ones on here who are trying to do the right thing and get some advice to help their loved animals but instead get made feel bad for having a dog cause they work!

My mums dog is at home while she works, 2 of my friends dogs are at home while they work, my sisters dogs are at home while she works. I would say a large amount of the populations dogs are at home alone while their owners work - it is not unusual. If i didn't work the nine hours i work a day then i would not be able to feed my dog, pay for her vet bills, pay for her training and therefore she would be worse off.

If you can be home all day or can get home a couple of times a day, then your lucky, congratulations. I can not do that, but that doesn't mean i love my puppy any less or for that matter should miss out on her. If i wanna take her out for 45 mins and my vet says it isn't a problem, then i will.

Thanks to those of you out there who also work and understand what that is like - i am sure your puppy will live a very loved and happy life and i wish you all the best!

And thanks to those dog owners who care and listen and offer suggestions on how you can help a situation, not make a owner feel bad for it...

LilyW - this IS a public forum and therefore anyone can post their opinion. It is up to you to take or leave what is said/recommended/suggested.

Generally i use my vets and (my breed) breeders for medical advice but sometimes things come up on here that are useful and that i wouldnt have thought of! so i would suggest that it is worth reading.

Also appreciate that by the nature of written text - it can be difficult to determine if someone is doing the right thing for their pets.

for example if you are new to the forum and havent posted much we have no idea how to approach you - its nice to have some kind of background that the OP has good intentions. :laugh:

obviously some subjects will push more peoples buttons than others such as leaving pups alone and especially the use of prong collars etc :rofl:

i hope you stay - i learn new stuff all the time :rofl:

LilyW, thanks for your fantastic post! i am getting my pup in 2 weeks time and was a little worried about leaving my pup home alone. i leave to go to work at 8am and my boyfriend gets home at 3-4pm, so on average, my pup will be home for about 7 hours by himself monday to friday. my breeder says this is quite ok too. she even feeds her pups twice a day. as she knows that for a lot of people it just isnt possible to feed them 3 times a day (ie the middle of the day), so she gets them used to the meal times before they are picked up by their new owners.

i hate the thought of leaving him alone, but we have a huge pen in the backyard for him and i will get him lots of toys. The first week i have him i will be working, but my mum will be able to come around and check on him and play with him. Then i will be home for 2 weeks over xmas so i can spend heaps of time with him.

I wish i could spend more time with him during the weekdays, but unforunatly we have to make a living, if i could, i would quit my job in a second to stay all day with my pup, but wheres that going to get me!

Everyones positive advice has been very helpful! I guess the thing some people have to remember is that they are dogs, not humans. we cant have maternity leave to stay home with them!! (i wish we could) hehe! we just have to do the best we can and love them to bits!!!!! :laugh:

Edited by Mel_c

LilyW we are discussing pups here, not dogs as you've stated. Pups are babies and as such, need regular attention during the daytime hours when young. This includes feeding a mid-day meal and allowing the pup to toilet. Pups are usually fed to a schedule rather than "free fed" that is, where a bowl of dry food is left constantly for the pup to eat as s/he feels hungry. IMO even a grown dog should not be "free fed" b/c if the dog is sick, one of the first symptoms is loss of appetite.

IMO young pups need to be attended to as they are growing and leaving any young animal for 10 hours at a time is just too long. If you don't have any problems with your particular pup, then IMO you are very fortunate (as is the pup). Being involved in rescue, I do see the poorly-treated dogs which you mention that we should be focussing on rather than pups left alone for 10 hours a day (presumably this is also five days per week?). I am a proponent of animal welfare, and as such, I cannot ever condone a baby puppy being left alone for 10 hours per day except as an unavoidable situation such as a genuine emergency. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to express that on a public forum. Of course, some people will disagree with that, but that's up to them.

I feel sorry for any baby pup left alone for more than six hours at a time b/c I feel this is not reasonable. A *dog* OTOH, can be trained to manage lengthy absences but a *puppy* just shouldn't be expected to do so. JMHO.

Edited by lillysmum