Outside

Sheree-lee

Hi All,

I am kind of just posting as I come across tings.

Our new pup has been staying inside we set up a little backyard thing for her well really just fenced off the backyard so she cant get out.

She does not like to be outside by herself if you leave her out there she will get up to the back door and cry..

We are only trying to ge her to spend a little bit of time in the yard but we have whining neighbours and dont want to leave her there crying etc..

Wat could we do???

instead of just plonking her outside, take her outside and play with her, feed her, play with her some more, sit still with her, then go inside without fanfare or "saying goodbye". that might help.

i learned that kind of thing works when i tried to change my pups sleeping area (from backyard to laundry). You have to make them feel like its thier habitat out there, that they safe.

some pups are more timid than others though, but be patient.

what breed is it ?

instead of just plonking her outside, take her outside and play with her, feed her, play with her some more, sit still with her, then go inside without fanfare or "saying goodbye". that might help.

i learned that kind of thing works when i tried to change my pups sleeping area (from backyard to laundry). You have to make them feel like its thier habitat out there, that they safe.

some pups are more timid than others though, but be patient.

what breed is it ?

She is a Mini Dashy

it's like time out for her. being put outside with no one. I agree with tommy 15 play with her lots give her lots of toys.

Ok thanks next thing lol when i do go outside and try play with her she runs straight to the back door and cries to go inside

it's like time out for her. being put outside with no one. I agree with tommy 15 play with her lots give her lots of toys.

Ok thanks next thing lol when i do go outside and try play with her she runs straight to the back door and cries to go inside

That's b/c she doesn't want to be outside, at a wild guess. :laugh:

Why do people adopt or purchase a small, inside dog and then expect it to go outside without a fuss? These sorts of dogs are people-focussed house pets, not indepdendent outdoor dwellers. Your dog is telling you this is the case and yet you want to go against that? :laugh:

My dogs range from a greyhound to a mini fox terrier x chihuahua and all of them are indoor dogs. That's b/c dogs are social creatures that need companionship - hence the relationship between dogs and people or dogs and dogs. If you expect a dog to be outside without you, then expect the dog to be a little unhappy with that arrangement. JMO. :laugh:

Lillysmum,

What you have said is way too broad and very misleading.

Most dogs can be outside whilst their owners are at work. They may need to be conditioned to do so if they are not used to it.

Dogs can be conditioned to enjoy the time in the yard, so stop making out as though it is the cruelest thing in the world.

There are many items that can be used to entertain a dog in the yard during a working day and many ways to allow it to feel comfortable with its' humans.

I've yet to see you actually be helpful to someone asking a question, you seem to pop in your .2 cents worth of negative conversation, why is it that you feel the need to make people feel small and incompetent?

Your comments are also lacking education.

I feel that you maybe humanasing the relationship between a human and a dog.

Lillysmum,

What you have said is way too broad and very misleading.

Most dogs can be outside whilst their owners are at work. They may need to be conditioned to do so if they are not used to it.

Dogs can be conditioned to enjoy the time in the yard, so stop making out as though it is the cruelest thing in the world.

There are many items that can be used to entertain a dog in the yard during a working day and many ways to allow it to feel comfortable with its' humans.

I've yet to see you actually be helpful to someone asking a question, you seem to pop in your .2 cents worth of negative conversation, why is it that you feel the need to make people feel small and incompetent?

Your comments are also lacking education.

I feel that you maybe humanasing the relationship between a human and a dog.

What is "too broad" in saying a "small inside dog"??? :laugh:

Sure, some dogs are fine in the yard during the day. Labs, goldens, kelpies, sibes...as just four examples. But this dog is a baby miniature dachshund - and it clearly hasn't enjoyed its time outside even with its owner present. Without being there to see what's happening, it's not possible to speculate too keenly, but IMO this pup is unhappy when outside and is expressing that unhappiness by whining. Do you disagree with the pup's attempts at communication? :laugh:

I'm not "humanising" anything. I'm saying that dogs are social creatures, hence their need for companionship. Where do you think I'm "humanising" this? I'd really like you to be specific here if you don't mind. I don't think it's acceptable for you to claim I'm being broad in my response when you are doing exactly that yourself. :laugh:

Being broad = small dogs, there are many breds of small dogs, small dogs don't just belong on comforters in peoples lounge rooms.

Humanasing (I said I feel you 'maybe' humanasing, I did not say you were) = Social Creatures that need companionship. Dogs need a stable and solid pack, they need to know who their leader is, a dog who understands pack leadership doesn't get stressed/over excited during the day.....it's not about wanting to be with it's human mummy, it's about understanding that the pack leader comes and goes as they please.

You can say I have been too broad but I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. I suggest you go back and read my post again and you'll notice the terms I use such as 'I feel' 'maybe' 'can be'.

Pehaps you're rushing through posts or not reading the full post before rushing off to comment?

Hi All,

I am kind of just posting as I come across tings.

Our new pup has been staying inside we set up a little backyard thing for her well really just fenced off the backyard so she cant get out.

She does not like to be outside by herself if you leave her out there she will get up to the back door and cry..

We are only trying to ge her to spend a little bit of time in the yard but we have whining neighbours and dont want to leave her there crying etc..

Wat could we do???

Hi Sheree-lee,

Whiny neighbours make life tough don't they! :thumbsup: The problem is, to me, it sounds like your puppy is doing a good job of training you! If you give in to her crying you re-inforce the behaviour and she will learn to cry longer and louder to get her way. Before you know it you will be completely at her beck and call :eek:

I agree with the other sensible posters here and suggest that you try lots of toys. Kongs stuffed with treats are fantastic. I would start by sitting quietly outside with her while she chews and licks at them and then finally sneak inside the house while she's distracted. I would also feed her her dinner in the back yard not in the kitchen. If she likes treats you can hide them around the backyard so that she wastes time out there searching for them. If you can make her busy outside for even a short time it will give you a chance to let her in the house when she's not crying. She needs to learn that its you that makes the rules!

People need to keep their dogs outside for many reasons and, because it appears you only have a small yard, a small dog is probably the best solution for you. I think it is far better that she is set up with a comfortable bed outside than locked inside busting to go to the toilet all day while the family are out! :shakehead:

Good luck! :D

Tangwyn

Sas I read and comprehended what you posted. You still haven't answered my questions but that's OK. :thumbsup:

Mabe you'd like to ask those questions again in a different context as I believed I did. You obviously felt you needed to say that I didn't answer you questions, so why don't you e-mail me or give me a call I'm more than happy to answer any questions you felt I didn't answer because it's sending this a little OT now.

OK Guys thanks for the help, I will try my best to make her feel very comfortable while spending time in the yard.

She mainly is inside its just i dont want to lock her up if i need to duck out etc.

I live with my grandparents which makes it alot better as she has ppl here through the day while im at work :thumbsup:

As for small dog talk my mum has a mini dashy and he is an outside dog he does not go inside the kids go out and play with him and he is fine and happy on the other hand i like more companionship with mine so i am happy to have her company :eek:

Thanks for the help everyone :D

Dachshunds are very much people dogs & will use there voice to any advantage after all to do there job properly they must bark non stop to alert the handler to the badger.

Dachies can happily enjoy the outside & in all the years of being around dachies most frollick around to the hearts contact but they are also very devoted to there owners & can become way to clingy if allowed.

Dachies are certainly one breed that you must set the rules & the key is dont spoil them,yes there little but there a very hardy breed & a breed tha needs outside life to keep the body in good condition especially there back.

As with any pup you introduce things in small doses but unless this dog is making so much noise the whole neighbourhood is disturd then your neighbours cant cause that much hassle & infact if you speak to them emphasis that the little noise mad now is training in process for whens its older ,im sure your neighbours do things that annoy you.

Does the dog have a doggy door & its own access in & out.We fined dogs that can enter in/out on there own dont panic as much as those dogs where the door is completely shut

That's b/c she doesn't want to be outside, at a wild guess. :rofl:

Why do people adopt or purchase a small, inside dog and then expect it to go outside without a fuss? These sorts of dogs are people-focussed house pets, not indepdendent outdoor dwellers. Your dog is telling you this is the case and yet you want to go against that? :laugh:

My dogs range from a greyhound to a mini fox terrier x chihuahua and all of them are indoor dogs. That's b/c dogs are social creatures that need companionship - hence the relationship between dogs and people or dogs and dogs. If you expect a dog to be outside without you, then expect the dog to be a little unhappy with that arrangement. JMO. :rofl:

Whats an 'inside' dog??!! :rofl:

Dogs can be inside or outside, it is what they are conditioned to.

You could safely say that all dogs are people focused, if you are their leader, then they will focus on you.

The dog whining at the door to come in is communicating to you that he doesn't want to be out there but if he isn't hungry/cold/hot/hurt then there is not reason why he could not stay outside.

Its all about letting him know that outside is a fun place to be by playing with him out there etc. Also that you are inside and thats OK too. Separation anxiety maybe a cause too.

I have a 9 week old pup who bashed at the door and whined to come in. In just one weekend, he has realised that outside is OK on your own to play, that mum is inside the house and he knows that, and he has also been taught that if he wants to come inside, he sits quietly near the door, not bashes on it.

If my pup can do it, I'm sure this one can. Just don't reward whining behaviour.