How To Make Puppy Relax

tommy15

This is with regards to my puppy, who is 8 months.

She is fine at parks or quiet neighbourhoods, but when we go walkies in busy streets, lotsa people, traffic, noise, she goes all alert at everything kinda like a freak out. Actually not that bad, but yeh not very relaxed.

She pulls on the lead really hard, sometimes to get to something ie a tree, rubbish on the floor, a baby (she loves prams) ect, but alot of the time she gives me the impression she is pulling to get away, you know, get away from all the scary people and the noise.

Recently, i have started walking my dogs seperatly (i also have an adult). She is fine when with him, she feels like his the big boss that shes safe with and just follows his lead, she only gets like this on her own, so i decided she needed to learn to be relaxed on her own.

I am not saying "well she dosnt like it, i wont take her to those places, ect" instead my attitude is "its good for her she'l get used to it in a few weeks"

Anyone have opinion, or pointers for me ? Obviously i dont want to be making the problem worse, but i dont believe i am.

Does anyone think that teaching her to "heal" would benifit this situation ?

thanks

Hey Tommy.

I would keep taking her to the busy places. When Axle was a pup, they encouraged us to take him to busy places to get used to different situations. So he went to the gokart track, airport, shopping, visiting dogs... He's a really well adjusted boy now, I don't think a herd of elephants would bother him. :(

One thing they said that I thought was important was not to soothe your dog TOO much while they're scared. Pat her and tell her "It's okay", but don't spend to much time fussing over her, or she will think that being scared will get her special attention. And make sure you stay calm, to show her that there isn't anything to be anxious about.

Does that make sense? I dont know if I explained it very well.

Maybe taking her to those places, and just sitting across the road and letting her observe, or something along those lines would help reassure her that there's nothing to be scared of. I realize that you don't have all the time in the world, but whenever you get a chance would probably help your girl. Maybe take along something familiar, like a toy?

Just some ideas. :thumbsup:

Take a look at K9 Forces website, he has some info about fear periods that pups go through and when to slow down on the stimulation and outings.

I can't remember details but I do remember when I read it that I realised I did all the wrong things with my dog during her fear period, I should have been more aware and not push her, and done different training at home during that time.

I'll have a search and see if I can find what I'm going on about :(

One thing they said that I thought was important was not to soothe your dog TOO much while they're scared. Pat her and tell her "It's okay", but don't spend to much time fussing over her, or she will think that being scared will get her special attention. And make sure you stay calm, to show her that there isn't anything to be anxious about

Yup Steve reinforced this with us at our recent session. Good advice Rachiie :(

yeh rachii it does make sense good advice thankyou. i dont fuss over her, sometimes i try and play with her though but i can see thats wrong because she is too focused or should i say not focused on her environment gawd know look who dosnt make sense lol

max spots ofcourse he does have some great info on his site. yeh i read somewere that pups go through different phases while there developing .. crikey ill read it asap before more months pass of me doing things wrong !

thanks guys awesome :(

I know what you mean! When Axle gets too distracted by things around us, I start bugging him to get his attention. :( Poke him in the side, or grab a handful of loose skin playfully so that he swings around to see what I'm doing. Sometimes I nudge him with my knee.

I know it sounds silly.. lol.. some people say to change the direction that you're walking to keep his attention, but that never worked for me. So I just reverted back to the stuff I do when we're play fighting at home because I know he loves that and it's guaranteed to get the focus back on me :thumbsup:

ok i had a read of k9force' material. im trying to book an appointment to see him i think everything will go great when this guy teaches me a few things. shes at an influential age right now.

unfortunatly, the biggie with her will probly turn out to be the fact that her litter was broken up at 4 weeks, but thats the past we have to do the best we can for her now.

she is showing everyone how shy she is at the moment by guarding me from the pool guy for the last 2 hours lol

We have had similar probs with our 5mth when out and about, of course we only do very short 20 minute walks but he is so easily distracted, heeling works fantastic......when there is nothing to distract him LOL.

I read the dog whisperer and his section on walking the dog was very helpful, its all about YOUR attidtude apparently you can send you fear, anxiety about his behaviour down the lead, go figure? Anyway I have tried to be much more confident with him and not fuss, just be firm and say come on lets go, and mean it when i say it, and it has actually helped a lot.

I am sure if you can get an appointment with K9 that would be pretty helpful, wish I was in his area I would be there like a flash.

hmm rachiie well the thing is his coming back tomorrow, i wont be here. i told him to just come in the side (my adult dog should be fine he was good with him today) but now i think about it i dont know how marny will react to him without me here i might reschedual she was dirty on him today lol

Anyway I have tried to be much more confident with him and not fuss, just be firm and say come on lets go, and mean it when i say it, and it has actually helped a lot.

yeh isnt it amazing i believe that to be true aswell, but its a matter of training myself to keep the consistency. Iv been getting better though. Im glad its been working for you with your pup !

Oki dokes well im in contact with K9 force now, just have to work out the appointment time. I'll probly go for the training session + consult package to start with, all positive steps and all thanks to this thread for putting the idea in my head, thanks guys :laugh: