What To Feed My Great Dane

Carla2

Hi Members,

I have just taken in a rescue Great Dane , female 28 months old.

She is in good condition, seems to be a real sweetheart.

When I asked the person who was caring for her regarding her diet I was so very confused about the answer. The dog was getting things like : weetbix, bread and milk, same as my hubby and I eat, but no meat was mentioned, the dog is certainly not thin and has been with this carer for around 6 weeks.

She is a little nervous and jumps at any quick moves, she has been back at our house for around 5 hours and already she is sitting on one of the lounge chairs and I don't mind one bit.

I would appreciate some advice regarding what and how much she should be eating, she is a big framed girl, I really don't think she has had a happy life, which I hope to change as soon as I can.

Regards Carla

If she's not underweight there are some good products for Danes such as:

1) Eukunuba Holistic

2) Royal Canin for Giant Breeds

3) Pro Plan

Or you could try BARF (raw meat, mashed veggies & bones).

I'm sure she'll gain her confidence in time, just remember not to goo ga her, let her come into her own in her own time, sometimes ignoring those quirky moments does the trick.

Is this your first Dane?

Edited to say: Do you have any photos? Love to see her!

Edited by sas

If she's not underweight there are some good products for Danes such as:

1) Eukunuba Holistic

2) Royal Canin for Giant Breeds

3) Pro Plan

Or you could try BARF (raw meat, mashed veggies & bones).

I'm sure she'll gain her confidence in time, just remember not to goo ga her, let her come into her own in her own time, sometimes ignoring those quirky moments does the trick.

Is this your first Dane?

Edited to say: Do you have any photos? Love to see her!

Yes I did own a Dane around 17 years ago, he was also a rescue, but I only had him a few short months, he died during an operation, then last week my German Shep of only 12 months was killed in a car accident, so I decided to give a Dane another home, I will take a pic tomorrow and post it for you, thanks for your reply. How much meat should I give her, I have forgotten what I fed my last Dane.

Warm regards Carla

When I asked the person who was caring for her regarding her diet I was so very confused about the answer. The dog was getting things like : weetbix, bread and milk, same as my hubby and I eat, but no meat was mentioned, the dog is certainly not thin and has been with this carer for around 6 weeks.

Whever had your girl is an idiot.... not from Box Hill, Sydney is she?? Diet is familiar.

Go easy on the dry food until she settles in. Being on a rubbish diet and going to a premium quality one can give them a very queasy belly until her body adjusts.

Feeding chook mince and minced vegies will be fairly gentle on her stomach. Depending on her overall size (how much does she weigh and depending on her type.. German being heavier set/American being finer and somewhat lanky) will determine how much she should be fed. My Dane is tall for a bitch but she's also quite fine boned ... though she eats approx 2kg of fresh mince and vegies a day.

Definitely would love to see pics! :laugh:

Hi Cordelia,

Thanks for your answer, Trivana was from Geelong in Victoria, she is a beautiful dog, I am cooking turkey as we speak, she ate a slice of wholemeal toast for brekkie, she is a very tall girl and a good sized frame, quiet natured but wary and a little nervous of quick movements from my hubby and I.

She was owned my a couple who split up, and she was given a home by another couple who breed Danes, Trivana has had 2 litters but had to have 2 caesareans and the second couple decided they did not want to put her through that again, I am not wanting to breed or show I just wanted a companion dog dog that was quiet and loveing , and she is that.

I am not sure if I should get her desexed as my last Dane was a male and died after a desexing operation, I would hate that to happen to her.

I feel this girl has not had a good life, so I would appreciate any help that anyone would like to send my way, the batteries are charging up as we speak so I will hopefully post some pics tonight, and I am about to try her with some turkey stew..

Bye for now...

Warn regards..

Carla....

Hi Carla,

We have a Great Dane and he was a rescue too!!!

Anyways getting down to business, we fed Harley Science Diet now with a little raw mince.

It is best to feed a good quality kibble - Eagle pack and Science Diet and really good. The amount you feed depends on the dogs size.

Keep in mind that when you start feeding any new diet the dogs tummy is going to go a bit crazy for a couple of days but then it will settle down. You will notice the difference when you feed a good quality kibble.

Harley was on Supercoat when we got him and a lot of people recomended that we start him on a quality kibble - we didnt think much of it at the time but now that we've done it theres no way we will ever go back to feeding a supermarket brand.

Also with a quality kibble there is no need to add a lot to it. We add about 50 grams of mince to it (and change between chicken and beef mince every now and then) only for extra flavour.

If his tummy is a bit upset, we add a bit of yoghurt to his food - that alays seems to settle him. And we give him an egg every week.

Look there is no exact science when it comes to feeding any dog - the main thing with Danes and their food is to make sure they dont run around before and after their meals. Also keep their food and water elevated.

thats about it really....

- Gillian

A rescue Dane! Good for you, you won't regret it. My own rescue Dane, Sam came from Cordy and he's still going strong. He will turn 12 next year.

Sam's needs might be a bit different to your girl as Sam is well and truly a geriatric. He gets diarrhoeah at the drop of a hat so I have to watch what he eats. He has lived on Eukanuba for the last few years but every time I give him any meat or a bone or if he gets cheap dry food (pinched from Dad's dog when we visit them) he gets the runs for a few days. If I stick to the good quality dry, he's fine. Be aware though, feeding all dry food, you have to watch out for the bloat. Sam had already had bloat and a stomach tack operation when I took him on.

I am now trying him on Nutro Chicken and Rice for sensitive stomachs. We are half way through the first bag and so far no problems. He loves it and I think I'll keep him on it.

Sam gets about 6 or 7 cups of dry per day, divided into two meals.

Jo

Oh thank you all so very much, you have all been so helpful in helping me to make an informed decision, I have a appointment with the vet next Monday for Kirana to have a check up, she had a bath this morning and her first walk with me, and it's photo session time later (smiles).

I am still grieving for my German Shepherd, but only time will heal the hurt and the injustice of life he was such a beautiful dog, he deserved longer on this planet.

Hugs to all..

Carla....

Carla I'm so sorry. My last post must seem horribly insensitive :rofl: I still grieve for Jamie who died about 9 weeks ago. It's devastating when such a valued member of your family dies :laugh: I remember going outside in the backyard one night railing at God, shouting at Him with questions about how good can come of the death of my most beloved Jamie and then collapsing on the ground at her grave. Hubby came out and found me sobbing soon after. I still tear up whenever I think of my little Mookie being dead. Her death haunts me every time I leave the house, wondering which of our pets will be on the busy road dead like Jamie was. It's horrible and I hate it, but I am not going to let it beat me down. I have Ari now and I will love her and adore her with every ounce of my being, so that she knows how loved and appreciated she is. I know Jamie would love Ari, they would have been great mates :vomit:

You'll get through this, and if you need me to, I'll hold your hand and help you walk through this painful time.

With love

Faithie aka Golden Girl

When I asked the person who was caring for her regarding her diet I was so very confused about the answer. The dog was getting things like : weetbix, bread and milk, same as my hubby and I eat, but no meat was mentioned,

I maded contact with a breeder in Geelong, who feed that diet!

They were very against feeding meat.

When I asked the person who was caring for her regarding her diet I was so very confused about the answer. The dog was getting things like : weetbix, bread and milk, same as my hubby and I eat, but no meat was mentioned,

I maded contact with a breeder in Geelong, who feed that diet!

They were very against feeding meat.

That just doesn't make sense IMHO. WHY would you be against dogs eating meat? It's what their bodies were designed for :laugh:

Golden Girl,

Thank you so much for your post, u r indeed a lovely person, bet your dogs just idolise you, I would be honoured to take your hand should I need to...

Hugs Carla

PS If hubby ever gets his act together and charge the camera properly you will have those pics

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I could do it you know, but he does not trust me not to break it and grrrrrrrrrrr again

Whever had your girl is an idiot.... not from Box Hill, Sydney is she?? Diet is familiar.

Go easy on the dry food until she settles in. Being on a rubbish diet and going to a premium quality one can give them a very queasy belly until her body adjusts.

Feeding chook mince and minced vegies will be fairly gentle on her stomach. Depending on her overall size (how much does she weigh and depending on her type.. German being heavier set/American being finer and somewhat lanky) will determine how much she should be fed. My Dane is tall for a bitch but she's also quite fine boned ... though she eats approx 2kg of fresh mince and vegies a day.

Definitely would love to see pics! :laugh:

My danes are from Box Hill Sydney and I have never been advised to feed weet-bix, milk or bread.

To the OP my danes are fed a natural diet of meaty bones and organs from beef, lamb and chicken with additions such as vegies, eggs, fish, acidophilus, and the occasional treats of peanut butter, cream cheese or dried liver treats. In terms of quantities just use the way the dog looks...if they're getting too heavy then ease off a little on the meals, too thin then you can add more. We choose to feed ours morning and night and we choose to feed and water off elevated surfaces. (you will get varied opinions on this in the dane world) If I were to feed any kibble (but havent for 2 years) I would most probably go with either Bonnie or Supercoat.

Hope that helps...

Dani