Best Dry Food Available

Zorro_007

I wonder how pricey it is. There is an NZ company that makes similar food and the price is horrific. They sell cans and dry but my local pet supply store won't stock either because they can't sell it at the RRP. I asked them to order some of the cat food in for me once and they were telling me how they were going to trial a small amount of stock for sale but were doubtful that people would spend the money.

Most places stock the treats which are quite good too, but they're about $7 a bag and my dog eats carrots willingly so we don't get them very often!

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been feeding Pro Plan Puppy for nearly aweek and have noticed a big difference already

I am feeding 2 cups less than the bag reccommends as they were leaving it in their bowls

Tyson has put on weight as has Ishka, and the poop is so much better

Pandi, how do you find pro plan? does their poo stink? I have a very sensitive nose and having tried supercoat not long ago I am apprehensive about trying kibble again. I have tried just about every dry food on the market but that was ages ago and I wasn't paying attention to certain 'things' back then.

Ok I went from feeding Supercoat

and the dogs had heaps of big stinky sloppy poos

I then went to Bonnie and they stunk but poop was better

Now on Pro Plan poo is black hard little not much of it and no stink that I have noticed

But my 9yo boy will go and poopa scoop no worries now he would never do it before

Nearly worth feeding it just for the poop and no farts

In a few weeks our new 8 week old Golden Retriever puppy will be coming home. This Nutro product does sound very good, is it suitable for puppies? If not, what age would it be suitable from and what product would you recommend in the meantime (preferable dry food).

Also, is it OK to give him just Nutro and other bits and peices from the table (non meat).

Thanks!

Edited by musik

Does anybody know how much protein is in Nutro Puppy? Do they just have the 1 puppy formula or is there also another one particularly for large breeds? Am tossing up whether to raise my next litter on Nutro or Eagle Pack Large breed, which i have been happy with and it's only around 23% protein.

Edited by goldielover

I feed both my boys on Eagle Pack Holistic Duck and Oatmeal. I used to feed Eukanuba but have found this to be better for my dogs. Darcy is a very fussy eater and he loves this dry food. Hes also got digestion problems stemming from having parvo previously and a thickened pylorus. The poos are small and compact and very little odour. I also give them raw meat and vegies.

Does anybody know how much protein is in Nutro Puppy? Do they just have the 1 puppy formula or is there also another one particularly for large breeds? Am tossing up whether to raise my next litter on Nutro or Eagle Pack Large breed, which i have been happy with and it's only around 23% protein.

Nutro has a normal puppy and a large breed puppy food. Normal puppy with chicken or lamb and rice has 26% protien and the large breed puppy with chicken has 28% protein and large breed puppy with lamb and rice has 27% protien.

My dog is on BARF but I sometimes worry he's not getting everything he needs, so I have tried to add some Eukanuba (very small amount) it resulted in him having very lose stools whenever he had Eukanuba and he threw up and had the runs once when he had a small serve of eukanuba only for breakky.

A lady at work swears by Royal Canine, I am tempted to try this. Should I try to incorporate another dog food into his diet and try until i find a brand that he wont react badly to or should I just give up? Weird thing is apart from his BARF regime he can eat absolutely ANYTHING (well except the "banned for dog foods") else without any bad side effects at all, just not dog food and some processed dog treats.

Nutro has a normal puppy and a large breed puppy food. Normal puppy with chicken or lamb and rice has 26% protien and the large breed puppy with chicken has 28% protein and large breed puppy with lamb and rice has 27% protien.

Thanks for that Norskgra :mad

i was looking at the website for nutro.. as im in victoria i would have to have it sent out from keilor as im not close to this.. which one do people find to be the best out of all the different choices of nutro? at the moment my 9 month old BC is on supercoat and my 18 month BC is on a restricted calorie kibble (cant remember what it is at the moment?!!) they seem to be ok on these but im not happy with how their coats look, not as shiny anymore even though they have a lot of fish etc, so just wondering which ones others find the best..

they are not sensitive to any food, the only problem we have ever had is the eukanaba made them constipated.

Goldielover, as Norskgra has already given you the protien levels and three types of puppy food available from Nutro, will just add that they also make a mini kibble but that wouldnt be for yours :mad

We have been feeding Nutro for over six years and it was a product that we were first introduced to when we lived in NZ.

We have weaned four litters onto Nutro. We start out with a little mince at 3 weeks, introduce puppy food with a little warm water to soften at 4 weeks, and by the time they are 7 weeks they are just on Nutro, and we no longer soften at this age.

We keep our litters on puppy food until 12 months.

As adults Nutro is the basis of their diets and we also give sardines and chicken wings.

The ingredients list for Nutro and the guaranteed analysis are both available on the website www.nutro.co.nz

PLEASE be aware though that NOT all products on this website are available in Aus. e.g. the canned puppy food.

4 Paws and More, Keilor Park, Melbourne should be able to help with any enquiries you may have.

Bub, would suggest you do a comparison of the ingredients in Eukanuba and Nutro, and look in particular for added colourants, chemical preservatives and what cereals are used. :(

Skyesmum, suggest you look at Lamb and Rice, which is also avail in Large Breed Lamb and Rice

Edited by Hesapandabear

Nutro does make a puppy and I raised my youngest on it and will be raising all of my pups on it. You can just feed Nutro but I add sardines once a week and also they get chicken frames, turkey necks etc a couple of times a week.

Thank you for the info! :mad

We have weaned four litters onto Nutro. We start out with a litle mince at 3 weeks, introduce puppy food with a little warm water to soften at 4 weeks, and by the time they are 7 weeks they are just on Nutro, and we no lknger soften at this age.

We keep our litters on puppy food until 12 months.

As adults Nutro is the basis of their diets and we also give sardines and chicken wings.

Can you tell me why sardines are good as well? (Norskgra mentioned the same) Do you give to your dogs (adults) straight in the bowl with Nutro?

Sardines are a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids; it is a nutritious meal for a growing pup especially. I prefer to give my dogs a fish oil capsule (human variety) as it would take quite a few tins of sardines for a 1000mg ratio which is the amount that is recommended for a large dog the size of a german shepherd or golden retriever. Studies have been conducted in which puppies that have been on an Omega 3 rich diet have superior intelligence and are far more trainable as a result.

Seems like Nutro is winning the race here and to think I hadn't even heard of this product before starting this thread. I will never forget the stink from the dogs when I fed them SUpercoat; as soon as I hear that brand name I can still smell the stink, pooo!

Edited by Zorro_007

Musik, it started out when we fed out cat sardines and the dogs would go silly, so we buy el. cheap, e.g. homebrand, in oil and they all get a sardine on top of their food, once a week, that extra fish oil doesnt hurt.

When we feed the chicken wings we cut out the Nutro for that meal, we feed x twice daily.

Edited by Hesapandabear

Zorro_007, with Nutro, it has been available in Australia, but only in QLD and NSW for some time, and now in Vic.

As mentioned previously we have been feeding for over six years, prior to coming to QLD last year.

We have tried both Science Diet and Eukanuba previously but our dogs (2 at the time) and puppies (2 also) would not touch either.

We are happy with the overall results of having our dogs on Nutro, coat and skin condition, smaller stool volume, no smells. We have four adults here, and in the last two weeks 5 puppies on Nutro and given that they are all house dogs volume and smell counts for a lot. :mad