Best Dry Food Available

Zorro_007

I am a big fan of BARF and feed all of my 16 dogs on this but I was wanting to introduce a good premium dog food to my maremma sheepdog (the one with generalised demodectic mange)...she would be fed this premium dog food combined with the BARF. I used to feed Proplan once upon a time and it was okay but the amount of poo was unbelievable, not to mention the smell whereas with the BARF diet there isn't any odour. I was after one that is not loaded with cereal and corn disguised in various ways and I also prefer one with Vit. E as a preservative rather than ethoxyquin, BHA, BHT.

I have heard of glowing reports from people feeding a premium diet and I do have to admit that I am sceptical but am willing to give it a shot and find out for myself.

I would especially like to hear from those that have used INNOVA, CALIFORNIA NATURAL and NUTRO and where I can get these foods and whether you have noticed a definite improvement in your dog/s after introducing this kibble.

Any other brands or suggestions would be appreciated; except for IAMS or EUKANUBA...for starters none of my dogs liked it when I introduced them to this brand and most importantly I don't want to pay for a product that is known to have conducted some hideous experiments on animals.

Edited by Zorro_007

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been feeding our Siberians & HamiltonStovare NUTRO for the past 4yrs - wouldn't feed them anything else. Coats have never looked better, weight is easily controlled, poos are small & really non offensive .. would highly recommend it.

Where are you located??? Depending on where you are located if you contact 'Hesapandabear' here on DOL she should be able to sort something out for you with regard to purchasing NUTRO

I also feed my Elkhounds and Afghan on Nutro and I will be feeding my new Hamilton pup Nutro as well when it arrives. Two of my Elkhounds were very finicky on what they would eat. Nutro is the only dry food that all of my dogs will happily eat. They wouldn't eat their BARF diet easily.

Since I switched them to Nutro, their coat has improved to the extent that none of the other Elkhound owners believe me when I tell them that my male has blown his coat. Even when he has a total coat dump like he is having at the moment, he still has more coat than theirs do. It is the same with my girls as well. They have never been in better condition. They have less and smaller stools which don't smell nearly as much as they used to.

Their weight is much easier to control and I don't have to feed them as much as I had to of other dry foods. I don't have to feed them as much as it says on the bags either.

Edited by Norskgra

I have been feeding Advance and Eagle Pack puppy range previously, they are good. It is until I change to Nutrience puppy that I see changes in my pup, mainly in the improvement of the poo quality (less smelly, firmer, smaller and less frequency), and she has sustained energy level during play rather than tires out right after zoomies. She has also stopped eating her poo since.

What I like is the big kibble for munching (keep teeth healthy) rather than gulping it and it doesn't swell in water much so won't bloat up my dog's stomach. Her coat is really glossy and soft now. And Nutrience smells really good too! Dog loves it!

I believe in giving a dog carefully selected options and let her show me how she fairs rather than just me deciding the food for her based on recommendations or advertising etc. Every dog reacts really differently to different foods, just thought I'd share this.

ETA: if you don't want corn, you can try the Nutrience Holistic version. Corn also comes in many forms, sometimes they put it as maize, maize gluten, corn gluten etc, it's pretty much the same, read the labels. It is also Wheat/Wheat gluten free and have a big variety of good herbs in it.

Edited by flycow

HH can you read on the bag how much I give a large dog weighing 40kilos a day, if I was only feeding Nutro

Please

Thanks

40kg = 88lbs

Suggested Feeding guideline : 66-90lbs is 4.25 to 5.25 cups a day

Guidelines are for adult dogs with moderate activity levels. These guidelines should be adjusted as needed to maintain optimum weight. Serve dry or lightly moistened. Keep fresh drinking water available at all times.

335kcals/per cup. Use a standard 8 oz. measuring cup.

Nutritional Adequacy Statement

Animal feeding tests using *AAFCO procedures substantiate that Natural Choice Large Breed Adult provides complete and balanced nutrition for all life stages.

ETA : My Hamilton males are 32kg and eat 2 sometimes 3 cups aday of the Adult Maintenance depending on exercise levels etc.

Edited by HuntinHound

Wow thanks. Apparently it isn't all that easy to find Nutro, I did an online search and found only a couple of places where that can be obtained from in melbourne. I guess I will try to pm 'Hesapandabear' and hopefully she may be of further help. I have heard of Nutrience and know that is is made up of herbs as well which sounds good so if Nutro becomes an impossibility to find then I may give Nutrience a shot.

We have been feeding ours Nutro for over six years and they all do well on it:

This is from someone who has recently switched her dogs on to Nutro and I think speaks for its self: :rofl:

I first tried a sample of Nutro Choice Performance that I had won at a Sheep Herding Trial. I win a lot of samples and try them all looking for something outstanding. This was the first sample I have tried where I can honestly say that “...I saw a definite change…” My young Belgian Shepherd had dropped all her coat just before the Brisbane Royal. I placed her on the Nutro Choice and within 3 weeks, she had a full coat that was shiny and full. She looked great. I now feed all my dogs, including a 9yr old German Shepherd on the Nutro performance, and they are noticeably healthier and happier, even their stools have decreased and I am feeding them less.

Nutro Choice would have to be one of the best foods I have ever tried, and I will keep on using it. My dogs compete in Show, Obedience, Herding and Tracking, and must look and perform their best at all times. Nutro Choice Performance enables me to do this.

PS available from 4 Paws and More in Keilor Park Melbourne

Edited by Hesapandabear

Can I ask what nutro is worth

and can I get it rurally

I currently feed bonnie/ supercoat but I have to feed so much of it for my dogs to hold weight

Thanks Hesapandabear but it looks like I am forced to have to choose another product as I live in the country and it would be a 400 kilometre round trip to go to Keilor Park and with the price of petrol these days it would end up being quite an expensive exercise as it would cost me an extra 160-180 dollars for petrol as it cost me $80 for a trip of 400 kms but then I am left on an empty tank so I have to fill up again.

Such is life....how is it that noone else has caught on with Nutro?

Pandii, the only stockist of Nutro in Victoria is 4 Paws and More as mentioned in my post.

When looking at the cost of a commercial dry food you will find that the super premiums are more expensive, but you will find that you are feeding quality and not rubbish and the actual quantity you feed will be a lot less as advised by HH.

Zorro_007, suggest that you contact 4 Paws and see what they can give you in the way of freight rates :rofl:

PS Zorr0_007, Nutro has been widely available in NZ where I am from for many many years,is avail in QLD and NSW but only recently introduced to Vic, not in any other state

Edited by Hesapandabear

My local supplier charges approx $18.50 for a small bag of Nutro - think that is 2kg, but not sure as I have thrown it out.

The use by dates are pretty slack, so I have to buy whatever variety has the longest life left. At that price, I only give her a 1/3 cup at breakfast with odds and ends added - when I have run out of Barf mix or want to extend the life of the Barf I have in the freezer.

She always gets her meaty bones at night.

We have only just started this on any regular basis, so I don't know yet exactly how good it is, but no problems thus far.

Another plug for Nutro from me, Darcy has put on some weight though its mainly muscle! He is a really picky eater and has been eating better then with other brands. I am very happy with it, they have much smaller poos and dunno if its what you want but their activity levels have increased especially Novas.

However i havent seen any change in Darcys coat which is what i wanted to see, hopefully Nutro has a fish based one as he loves to eat fish and see how he goes on that.

Pandii - Where abouts are you?

Edited by tollersowned