Advice/ Help Please:)

georgiahand

Lowchens are gorgeous little ragamuffins, or perhaps a Bedlington Terrier - worth a look also. They are more mini poodle size though.

Pet shop puppies are notorious for being hard to toilet train - much better to stick to a well reared pup from a breeder.

Edited to add - a Bichon Frise is stunning as well!

Edited by badboyz

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, please don't buy a dog from a pet shop. Most of the breeding stock live their lives in horrid conditions. Try not to give these shops any custom.

My pet shop, Pet Cafe in Brisbane - they don't sell any animals - had a "thing" for dogs to toilet inside. I didn't pay much attention but it was reasonably large and had fake grass on top. Next time I'm in I'll have a look at it. I'm sure a lot of good pet shops would have something similar.

georgiahand, if you want reinforcement as to why you wouldn't want to buy CKCS from a pet shop, I'll give it to you.

Mitral Valve Disease

Do your homework on the CKCS and you'll rapidly learn that any CKCS that comes from untested parents is probably heartbreak waiting to happen. Same goes for any of the cute little puppies you see.

If you buy from a petshop you help condemn the parents of those puppies to life in hell. Do the right thing AND the smart thing and find a responsible breeder who health tests their dogs and who raises happy healthy puppies from bitches you can see for yourself.

Timidity can be a a problem in Cavs -an happy outgoing Mum is one of the best indicators of the temperament of the puppies. Furthermore, you will probably pay less or not much more for a well bred pup as a pet shop one. Of course you will have to wait. Only puppy farmers produce puppies for impulse buying.

Georgiahand we have bought one of our three dogs from a pet shops, and we will NEVER do it again. It is not worth it - by the age of two or three (she is eight now) she had terrible health problems, temperment problems from the start... We wouldn't trade her for anything because we love her dearly but our next to dogs came from reputable, registered breeders. Neither have ever had any health problems.

If you don't mind something a little bigger you could look at a Beagle. Depending on the breeder you go to and also the parents they can be quite small. We have a little girl and she is just lovely.

I would also reccommend a mini poodle, or how about a West Highland White terrier? Mini schnauzers are also lovely :laugh:

georgiahand- that is one of my cats I also have a big black and white moggie, my toy was great with the cats and so are the two mini's, the standards are ok unless the cats run and then they will chase although my cats aren't silly enough to run.

I forgot the other upside to poodles is they don't get a doggie smell.

thanks for your help guys!

I see where you are all coming from with not buying from pet shops. I honestly had no idea that pet shops were so bad, not necessarilary the pet shops, but the people who sell to them. After your help there is no way I will be buying from a pet shop. While it probably looks like the 'short cut' in comparision to getting a pup from a breeder, there is no way we will be doing it now.

We are trying to get off to the best start:)

I've been ringing around this afternoon (of most toy breed dogs in general) and have got onto a few who im not sure are ''proper'' breeders. One gave me

"Oh Love, you can feed 'em anything you like! I find the foods from the vet quite dear, and when you have a heap of dogs like me that gets expensive. So just give 'em scraps off your dinner plate or those cheap tinned foods from Bi Low'' im only new to the dog world by myself, but should I be aware of breeders like this or do most of them do it? When i asked if they came with their vaccs her reply was "Of course they do, any other questions?''

It just made me a little un-easy:S

Edited by georgiahand

<"Oh Love, you can feed 'em anything you like! I find the foods from the vet quite dear, and when you have a heap of dogs like me that gets expensive. So just give 'em scraps off your dinner plate or those cheap tinned foods from Bi Low'' im only new to the dog world by myself, but should I be aware of breeders like this or do most of them do it? When i asked if they came with their vaccs her reply was "Of course they do, any other questions?'' >

Oh dear yes I would definitely be looking elsewhere!! A good breeder bends over backwards to make sure their dogs have the best.

Hi Georg,

A Cavalier would fit in well I think. They love to be with their people, will curl up wherever you are but love a walk when it's on offer. They don't tend to be yappers. And if brought up with a cat will be nice to it :)

I may be a little biased though :)

i agree totally !, but mine can be spoilt little yappers at times :rofl::laugh::rofl:

but i think i have them under reasonable control now :cry:

I've been ringing around this afternoon (of most toy breed dogs in general) and have got onto a few who im not sure are ''proper'' breeders. One gave me

"Oh Love, you can feed 'em anything you like! I find the foods from the vet quite dear, and when you have a heap of dogs like me that gets expensive. So just give 'em scraps off your dinner plate or those cheap tinned foods from Bi Low'' im only new to the dog world by myself, but should I be aware of breeders like this or do most of them do it? When i asked if they came with their vaccs her reply was "Of course they do, any other questions?''

It just made me a little un-easy:S

Good on you for deciding against a pet shop!

The best thing to do is go by your instincts. The breeder you mentioned made you feel uneasy, don't buy a pup from her. The breeder you find who you will want a pup from will make you feel comfortable.

I don't think I'd want a pup from someone who told me to feed the dog people food and cheap tinned food. That's wrong :laugh: A lot of people food can really harm dogs too.

What about a Papillion? I have only had the experience of my puppy, who is now 8 months old, but he has been easy as to train, tho the toilet training was a tad harder than other puppies I have had in the past. Full of personality, VERY smart, loving ( but not needy too much) and gets on fine with the cat and the chickens etc. I think a pap would be fine as an apartment dog, from what I can see. Mine isn't yappy at all, tho they are an alert little dog. Maybe other pap owners with more experience in the breed can add to this?

they can be so angelic

update.jpg

and then again :laugh:

dammit.jpg

Edited by kymbo

I have to put a vote in for a Cavalier, not yappy, handled Dog Obedience training classes with ease and our boy lives with us in our 7 meter MotorHome since we retired a couple of months ago. Darn near bomb proof with other dogs, toddler and teenage grandkids, the show ring and just being a dog.

A poodle would be high on the list as would a Papillion.

post-4270-1166772118_thumb.jpg

Toy poodle

Bichon Frise

Papillon

Japanese Chin (although OH probably wont like the look)

Pekinese (same comment as above) - you need to own a peke to appreciate one - huge personality

Maltese

Toy poodles, Maltese and Papillons can be yappers - depends on the lines, and the training they receive. And a Bichon doesn't need to have that silly show clip with the big hair on the head!!

A breeder should give you heaps of information, and also a puppy pack. I wouldn't be buying off one who advocated cheap food. Where else were corners cut?

what about a miniature pinscher?

short coated smart little dogs and just the best.

easily trained and affectionate little mites.

they come in blk/tan, red, stag red (red with fleks of blk hair through), chocolate/tan, blue/tan (not prominently bred here though) also isabella (blonde but not here in oz) great little watch dogs also.

My opa bought a Miniature toy poodle x Maltese (I know a lot of people are against cross breeding) but to be honest this little girl is lovely! She is very cuddly, she isn't yappy, she's only small, she is very playful and doesn't need big walks (a big play in the afternoon wares her out!!), she doesn't eat much, she hasn't chewed shoes or anything up (shoes are generally bigger than her lol :thumbsup: ) she goes to the toilet outsite (walks out her own doggy door) and they haven't had any problems with her at all. The only problem you get with a maltese is that their eyes weep, so you've got to be willing to take good care of that. As far as I'm concerned, even though cross breeding is terrible, this little girl is the perfect inside dog (the best ive seen so far).... the price isn't attractive though.

Thankyou for all your wonderful suggestions!:thumbsup: I've come across a breeder, a decent one this time, with toy poodle babies ready to go in Jan. I've seen photos and she is abosoutely gorgeous (ginger colouring, I don't know what you would call this in the 'technical' poodle world ha). So we are considering her. The breeder seems willing to answer any questions and appears to be quite friendly- which is good!

I will keep everyone updated.

Georg.

Toy poodle

Bichon Frise

Papillon

Japanese Chin (although OH probably wont like the look)

Pekinese (same comment as above) - you need to own a peke to appreciate one - huge personality

Maltese

Toy poodles, Maltese and Papillons can be yappers - depends on the lines, and the training they receive. And a Bichon doesn't need to have that silly show clip with the big hair on the head!!

A breeder should give you heaps of information, and also a puppy pack. I wouldn't be buying off one who advocated cheap food. Where else were corners cut?

Corners were cut vacc wise aswell. She said she only saw the need for one, and i've heard most proper breeders do two. Microchipping was not done, and she said not all her dogs were vaccinated and she had never come across a problem with them.

If her dogs were anywhere near as yappy as her, they arent something i'd be wanting to own :thumbsup:

Edited by georgiahand