Please Help Sick Puppy

Kayden

Hello Everyone,

Well im scampering around trying to find out what to do and i landed here hoping someone had some suggestions.Its now the night before christmas eve and im stuck.I just got my puppy today and was told she is 6 weeks old 2 days after christmas.Her mother was a mastiff and father is a Rotty.She was 1 of 11 puppies.We picked her up today and now i feel there may be a problem with her.The breeder told me she was dewormed last night and was also given a dose at 4 weeks of age.As soon as she got in I could sense she was very thirsty so i imediatly put down a bowl of water.She laped up 2 bowls worth just enough so you can see her belly get really full.She then threw up a mucusy mush of water and we actually had to stop her from drinking cause she kept lapping it up.She pooped and everything looked fine,it came out solid and was a good color.I went to work and hubby stayed home with her he said she slept just about the whole time i was gone.I went over to her when i got home and was giving her kisses and she woke up then.She got up and started walking around and then stopped dead in her tracks and started to kinda heave like she was gonna throw up.She shacked a lil and tipped over to her side and kinda layed still.when i picked her up she had like a foamy substance around her mouth.Then she stood up and was walking as though she was drunk and couldnt keep her balance.She eventually started to walk normal again.She is very small and im afraid she may not be 6 weeks and may have been given a big dose of the dewormer?Could this happen from this?Did she have a seziure?Why is she muckusy?What can i do for her? Please someone help...

Worried Mother

Kayden my honest opinion would be take her straight back to the person who sold her to you and ask for your money back. She is way too young to have left her mum and littermates. I hope you did not pay much for her.

Your only other option is to take her straight to the vet. Vet's charge more on Sundays BTW, but they charge double on public holidays, so cheaper today than tomorrow. However, I suspect this poor little girl may need lots more than just one or two vet visits.

Nobody here can tell you what is wrong with her. All the best with her.

its 1 oclock here and i guess its considered Christmas Eve right now nowhere is open.I guess i was kinda asking for some ideas on what to do or some understanding from someone else that may have had the same problem.

This puppy needs to go to the VET NOW!!

Why have you brought home a puppy that is too young to leave it's dam and litter mates? First vaccinations are given at 6 - 8 weeks, I doubt this puppy has had one.

You cannot delay with illness in a pup this young, get to the Vet now.

well the idea about taking home a puppy so early was something i trusted in the breeder.I was told 6 weeks was okay for this pup to leave the litter.I trusted in her>but thats not the point my pup is sick and thats all you have to say....shows where your heart is..

Kayden if you are genuine, and if you care about this pup, why have you not taken her to the vet already? We are not vets here and can't tell you what to do for her except take her to the vet.

This is shonky backyard breeder you have bought from, and not to be trusted.

the point my pup is sick and thats all you have to say....shows where your heart is..

People here care about dogs and want to do what's best for them. I don't understand your comment here.

Pups should not leave the litter until at least 8 weeks old. How much do you know about this pup? What diet has she been on, and did she have her first vaccination?

Is it 1pm or 1am where you are?

Look up an emergency Vet in the Yellow Pages. Take the pup to a vet.

I just noticed your status is given as ON reading the Puppy Problems forum. Suggest you go do, as above.

ADDED: Now noticed your status is OFF, Hope you soon get a vet's opinion.

Edited by mita

Kayden, it is impossible for anyone of us to give you a diagnosis over a monitor, not even a vet would hazard a guess without seeing the pup first. There could be a number of reasons why a pup would react in such a way but whatever the case things sound serious especially considering that she is so young; even at 6 weeks it is too young to sell a pup and an ethical and caring breeder would never do such a thing, she really should be ashamed of herself and as you said there may be a distinct possibility that she may be even younger than 6 weeks. She could have had a fit due to low blood sugar, she may have a digestive problem, she may have had a petit mal seizure, she could be harboring a bacterial infection or a virus, a tummy bug...maybe she ate something that didn't agree with her....I could go on and on but this isn't helping your little girl...as others have said you should get her to a vet NOW.

Keep in touch and let us know how things progress. Puppies should never be sold until they are AT LEAST 8 weeks old; I never let my cavalier puppies go until they are 12 weeks of age and by then they are totally independent of their mum, have been weaned slowly but surely without being rushed and have had 2 shots so I can rest assured that they don't run the risk of catching parvo amongst other things.

Breeders like the one you have dealt with should not be allowed to own any pets let alone breed them, shame on them!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - I meant to ask you what country you are from? doesn't sound like you are situated in australia.

Edited by Zorro_007

this pup is not even 6 weeks old. It should be nowhere near you or away from its mother, it probably hasnt been vaccinated. What on earth POSESSED YOU to buy this dog. Of course the breeder wants you to take the dog its $$ ;)

Get to a vet NOW. Doesnt matter how much it costs you chose to take this precious little life you damn well go get professional help. It could be poisoning, it could be parvo, it could be anything. No pup should be drinking that much water, falling over and vomiting. Its cruel to keep hanging on. When my dog gashed her leg I went to 3 vets and drove around literally all night to make sure she received surgery and the best possible chance of walking properly again. You choose a baby you take care of it like it deserves.

Edited by Nekhbet

I doubt we will hear from you again kayden, but on the off chance that we do...........

I will tell you exactly where my heart is......

it is with the thousands of unfortunate puppies who are brought into this world by ignorance and by greed, it is with the puppies who are produced by people who have little or no knowledge of how a litter should be raised, who allow young defenceless pups to go out into the world before they are ready mentally and physically.

You did not get this pup from a Breeder, you got this pup from uninformed, ignorant person who happens to have allowed a litter of pups to be produced.

I seriously hope for the sake of this puppy that you have sought Veterinary help. I hope that your puppy lives a full, happy, healthy life.

I also hope that you understand that the life of this puppy is now in your hands, that you are no responsible for its lifetime health and well being, and I hope you show it more respect and consideration than did the person that produced it.

Merry Xmas

Edited by Nadia

It is so damn sad that there are such money hungry grubs around that would rather sit on their laurels all day and make money out of these unfortunate animals and obviously these grubs have no idea on animal husbandry and nor do they care to learn.

Kayden, don't take offence even though you may feel we have come down hard on you, our heart is with the welfare of dogs and I guess we have all heard so many stories of neglect and cruelty that there comes a point when we can no longer sit back and take it in our stride. Breeders like the one you have dealt with are a dime a dozen unfortunately and it's becoming increasingly frustrating and short of educating the public there is very little else that can be done, meanwhile these breeders are sprouting from every nook and cranny.

I hope you won't take anything said here on a personal level and we would really love to hear how your pup is doing. Hope all is great.

First of all im sorry if i seemed rude to anyone,im not at all like that and was very upset.And thanks to everyone i went to the vet at 2am that night and my pup will be fine.She was given to much dewormer and it caused severe dehydration.She stayed there overnight and we got her midday Christmas Eve.The vet says she was very yound to leave her litter but she is in good health and would be fine considering I have 3 other dogs.Christmas Eve i called up the lady i bought her from and informed her that the pups were to young to leave the litter.She made an honest mistake,she was hoping to get the pups out for the holiday and was told by her vet they would be fine.Im not sure how much i trust her now,but i know my lil Kayden is in a good home and will be well taken care of.Thankyou all for your help and I wish you and you family the best holiday season,

Shareen(Kaydens Happy Mother) :thumbsup:

Good to hear your puppy is OK. :offtopic:

Kayden, an ETHICAL registered breeder would in NO WAY make an honest mistake and let puppies of that age go for the holidays, and would doubt that many vets would give her the OK at age 6 weeks.

I have a litter here who turned 8 weeks old yesterday and I made the decision that they would not go as Christmas puppies. :thumbsup:

Good luck with your puppy and please stay with the forums, you will learn a lot.