Urgent: Amstaff Has Big Issues, Some Sort Of Bug? Or Bite?

wolf82

The other day i was playing with Loki and noticed a red mark on the top of one of his toes, upon closer inspection i found a wierd red rash thing, and all of the hair had fallen out inbetween his 2 toes. I then went to check all of his other toes, they were all fine until i got to one of his back feet, and i found this lump the size of a marble (cut in half) that was big red and shiney. It had 3 holes and it was oozing clear fluid with a tiny bit of blood / pus in it, i tried squeezing it incase it was some sort of cyst, but nothing came out, it isnt hard either, quite soft.

I bathed it in betadine.

2 days later, i check the same toe, it looks slightly better.... Then i check his other toes.

He has these lumps inbetween 90% of his toes (only 1-2 clear), they are quite a bit bigger than the original, and some are just big red lumps with no holes yet, some are so big they are pushing his toes in different directions. Some are on the surface of the skin and look like boils, and some are under the skin and are just big round lumps in the webbing of his toes.

Nothing has changed in his diet latley (apart from a bit of pal wet dog food mixed in with his usual dry food, and some scraps, but he always gets scraps and has had pal wet food with his dry before).

Ill be posting pics as soon as i can. I called the Vet today but they are shut, and i cant afford to rush him down to the emergincy vet, especially just after xmas.

He doesnt seem to have any pain walking, and is not acting any different (but he has a huge pain tollerance) and let me squeeze and poke them.

Im worried because he also has developed a lump in the back of his leg in the muscle, you can see it when he is running around, its about the size of marble and is sitting inbetween 2 muscles, you can see the lump through his skin and its quite deep when you play around with his leg and feel it.

Any thoughts on the feet issue? He was going to vet next week for leg problem, but this feet thing has just cropped up. Is there any sort of diseases going around that cause this? How could i treat temporarily before vet?

Steve

These sound like interdigital cysts, some breeds can be prone to them. Sometimes they're caused by foreign bodies such as grass seeds, but sometimes they just seem to occur for no reason. The pus is due to a secondary infection. From what I remember they sometimes treat them with cortisone and if they get too big they can be surgically removed but often recur. An old home remedy is to soak the feet in water and Epsom Salts for at least 5 minutes and then apply Panalog ointment.

It's a very long time since I had a dog with this problem so treatment options may have improved since then.

Hmm, we dont have wandering dew (i think), but we have 2 clam pool's full of dirty water that are left outside for the dogs to run through if its hot outside (the water is changed every 2 days in the clams, but our sibe will have it filthy in about 30min of us changing it. He digs the water out onto dirty, then digs in the dirt, then runs back into the clam to clean his paws. Rinse / repeat, water is black soon after we change it).

Would taking him to the beach and making him walk in the salt water help?

Steve

I have just read that it also might be alergy related, and to watch for these things "licking forepaw and itchy face".

Well Loki quite often will lick the inside of his forepaw (normally when hes standing and after he has been outside), he will do it for 30sec - 1minute, i always put it down to him pissing on his front legs when he pee's sometimes.

As for the itchy face... a lot of the time after he has had some food he will run into the living room and jump onto the sofa, he will snort like a pig and bury his head in the cushons and rub his face etc, he will do it to the edge of the sofa, your legs, anything that is soft and around at the time. Is this alergy related? Or common?

Steve

Particularly after eating sardines one of mine, thge hairy avatar does that to clean her face off, she is a piglet but now knows not to do it on my carpet so uses outdoor bedding instead. Nothing to do with allergy just grooming. Same with the feet, one licks a bit but just cleaning up.

Ok, i just soaked his paws in very salty water for a good 25 minutes (filled up bath with warm to hot water and half a box of salt until water was cloudy, let it cool a bit and put him in the bath to soak while i fed him treats and talked to him lol).

Rinsed his paws in fresh water and gave them a good dry with a soft towel, he is running around the house at the moment. Im going to keep him inside as much as possible so he cant get them all dirty and stuff, atleast until i see the vet tomorrow evening.

Will let you know how i go tomorrow.

Steve

My boy Seamus get grass seeds in his toes. Cobblers pegs are the worst. They look just like those photos. He chews and licks them. I have to find the head or hole and squeeze to get the seed out which is a task keeping him still and the pus is copious. Leaves a baggy looking gaping hole. He also gets the same reaction to green ant bites but he pants much more with those as they hurt like buggery.

Whats difference between Epsom salt and normal Sea Salt?

Epsom Salt = Magnesium Sulfate

Unrefined Sea Salt contains 98% Sodium Chloride and up to 2.0%[.b] other minerals (salts) : Epsom salts and other Magnesium salts, Calcium salts, Potassium (Kalium) salts, Manganese salts, Phosphorus salts, Iodine salts, .. all together over 100 minerals composed of 80 chemical elements...

Edited by Erny