My Lab Puppy Ate A Whole Chicken Neck

Sam_Gledhill

Hi All,

My Vet told me that it is a good thing for puppies to chew on a chicken neck from the deli. This is meant to a) keep him entertained for a short period b) keep his teeth clean and c) stop him chewing non-edible things.

Well, My 8 week old Labrador (Louie) decided that he liked the chicken neck sooo much that the greddy little so and so ate the whole thing down in one bite!

Does anyone know if this is going to have ramifications in the next day or two - I called the vet and she didn't think it would be too much of a problem, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with the same thing?

Cheers,

Sam.

How old is the pup?

Mine do it, but they're older

He should be ok, but next time smash them with a hammer or something hard to break them up a bit (if he's a young pup)

Edited to say I am going blind, he's 8 weeks :mad in that case definitley smash them next time

Edited by shoemonster

Your pup will be fine. Lab's will be lab's :mad

Try turkey necks next time, there alot bigger (about 3 or 4 times bigger than a chicken neck) and he wont be able to swallow it in one bite. It will give him more opportunity to clean his teeth and keep him busy for longer.

Your pup will be fine. Lab's will be lab's :mad

Try turkey necks next time, there alot bigger (about 3 or 4 times bigger than a chicken neck) and he wont be able to swallow it in one bite. It will give him more opportunity to clean his teeth and keep him busy for longer.

Thanks for your help Candice and ShoeMonster -

I'll certainly get Turkey necks next time! As for the other chicken necks I've got here, well they might just go into the bin!!

Thanks again,

Sam.

I'll certainly get Turkey necks next time! As for the other chicken necks I've got here, well they might just go into the bin!!

Sam.

No, don't do that. Just chop them into smaller pieces with kitchen scissors. Chicken necks are a great addition to a pup's diet.

:( Welcome to the world of labradors that think they never get fed! they are always starving hungry :cry:

Dont worry he should be fine! Ramses started to swallow his before i got them out of the plastic! I used to freeze them to make them last longer and once he swallowed his ones and the ones for my other dog sasha PLASTIC AND ALL :cry: I rang the vet and they said if he hasnt passed the plastic in 2 days bring him to see where it was. He passed it and all was fine :mad

I dont feed him necks anymore because he would swallow 3 in seconds! good luck!

welcome to the world of labradors.. they will eat anythng and everything without chewing.lol he will be fine.. u could as others have said chop them up into smaller pieces , or smash them with a meat hammer.. necks are a gret source of calcium and a good addition to the diet , he will learn,, maybe (in a year or 2) :mad that its not his last meal and he may even taste it and not eat it whole, dont throw them out . he may throw it back up just keep an eye on him

and of course we will need heaps of pics.. welcome to the forum...

He sounds like a little greedy guts like mine. It used to take Ben ages to eat a chicken neck or a pigs ear. Now they are down the hatch in one gulp and are lucky to be chewed. Sounds like Louie has just started early :mad

Yes labs are well known for swallowing their food down without taking a bite, i like to refer to them as a vaccum :( But this can create some complications, one of the reasons why they are very prone to bloat. But your little puppy should be fine, as everyone else said, labs will be labs and they love their food!! :mad

ETA for spelling

Edited by Gottalovealab

Yes labs are well known for swallowing their food down without taking a bite, i like to refer to them as a vaccum :cry:

A vaccum ! Thats Ramses nickname! At my 15th this year he went around and sucked up all the food he could as much as i told all my friends to keep it on the table he went and found it and sucked it all up.

About half way through my party he started to :mad in 8 piles one after the other! :cry: being a lab and as only a true lab would do began eating it while i was cleaning it up :( :( so i put him in the bird avairy for some time out and to clean up the mess. He was fine after that but seeing how my party was based around him, it will be a party my friends and I will never forget! :cry:

Oh, that sounds just like my 11 week old Beagle pup. Our breeder recommended feeding her chicken necks. She was 8 weeks when she first tried them and the first one she had she just kept chewing and chewing... we thought she'd never finish it :mad Then, all of a sudden it disappeared along with the rest of the chicken necks in her bowl. It was as if she had to figure out the best way to eat it and then once she did she swallowed them whole :(

Yes labs are well known for swallowing their food down without taking a bite, i like to refer to them as a vaccum ;)

A vaccum ! Thats Ramses nickname! At my 15th this year he went around and sucked up all the food he could as much as i told all my friends to keep it on the table he went and found it and sucked it all up.

About half way through my party he started to :cry: in 8 piles one after the other! :mad being a lab and as only a true lab would do began eating it while i was cleaning it up :(:) so i put him in the bird avairy for some time out and to clean up the mess. He was fine after that but seeing how my party was based around him, it will be a party my friends and I will never forget! :cry:

:mad:(:cry:

My old labrador boy did that too. Bit embarrassing as he threw them up whole on the footpath on his morning walk. The passers by looked disgusted at the sight! :cry:

Edited by Labsmum

Thank-you all for your advice and reassurance.

This web-site is fantastic!

Just a quick update on Louie - he wolfed down his dinner last night and then slept soundly overnight without incident (no vomit, no poos). This morning he's as lively as ever and wolfed down his breakfast as well! I guess we just wait now.

Wow - I never figured I'd be so affected by this puppy - there are so many things that we can get wrong! I don't remeber it being this hard the last time I had a dog - maybe that's the joy of parenthood eh? Then again, who'd trade it? He's such good company and so smart! In just a week he's mastered "come" and "sit" - not bad for an 8-week old I rekon!

Anyway - thanks again to all for your reassuring words and great suggestions. I'm sure I'll see more of you as my dear little Louie gets himself into another mischief!

Cheers,

Sam.

P.S - I've attached a photo for you all to see as well - just in case!

post-14297-1167336908_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sam_Gledhill

Your pup will be fine. Lab's will be lab's :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help Candice and ShoeMonster -

Thanks again,

Sam.

Why would you throw out perfectly good dog food? :D

What type of feeding regime are you following? A raw diet? If so, chicken wings and necks are excellent even for baby pups like your lab. There's no need to panic just b/c your pup swallows a neck whole...many dogs and pups do this b/c the necks are the perfect single-swallow sized snack. :(

If you're wanting your pup to have jaw exercise and so on, then bigger bones are in order. Why not try lamb neck pieces or ribs instead? :eek: