Dog Sports In Qld 2007

Howdy, I was wanting to go and have a look at any dog sports that might be happening in my general area - I'm on the Gold Coast, so anything there or Brisbane or within the scope of a day drive would be great! If you know of any or know any websites that might be helpful, I'd really appreciate it.

...Also, wondering about which sports neutered dogs can/can't participate in if there are any such restrictions.

Thanks!

...Also, wondering about which sports neutered dogs can/can't participate in if there are any such restrictions.

The only thing desexed dogs can't participate in is comformation showing - but only because most clubs can't be bothered (not profitable) running desexed classes!

:thumbsup::( :D

A few Links

Lure Coursing Held at Kuraby - we compete in Coursing with our Boxer

Dog Sledding Mostly held at Beerwah - Sunshine Coast

Dog Frisbee Held different spots around Brisbane

Flyball Australia Not sure where clubs are here?

CCCQ website can help you with info on the ANKC sports

There might be some doggy dancing clubs around too? "hesapandabear" could probably help you with contacts for herding, and perhaps "rom" for Tracking? Oh there's also a Schutzhund Club in Brisbane somewhere - can't really remember contacts for that?

What type of dog do you own?

-WithEverythingIAm

Will be getting a dalmatian pup some time after Feb, so won't actually be participating in any events for a while :cheer: just wanted to have a look at some different events so I can get an idea about what I might like to have a go at and then keep an eye on those events... after seeing the events in action I thought it might help me to recognise what my pup might enjoy or be good at, depending on his personality. My old cattle dog lives with my dad on his acreage, but she isn't into running around any more and just enjoys retired life.

Thanks for all the links and replies everyone! Might see some of you at various events :laugh:

Edited by belijae

A dally will defianately enjoy obedience and agility - thye are very easy to train. Don't know about sledding though, our dally x would never do it. They do like to run alongside bikes though, (prolly because of what they were bred for :wink:)

From what I can see - and I am by no means an expert...yet ;) - smaller dogs can do it if they are willing!

I found this on the Agility Dog Association of Australia (ADAA) website under FAQs - how high does my dog have to jump?

# Toy - Restricted to dogs up to and including 300mm. This height class jumps 250mm in the International Programme and 150mm in the Combined, Junior and Regular Standards. This height class is not offered for Combined Open Pairs and Team events. When this happens the Mini class will be jumping 250mm height and Toy dogs are welcomed to compete in these events. Toy sized dogs are eligible to compete in Mini Classes, subject to the conditions of the competition.

# Mini - Restricted to dogs up to and including 400mm. The Combined, Junior and Regular Standards jump 250mm. International Programme Standards (Intermediate, Open and Advanced) jump 400mm. Dogs in the International programme are encouraged to enter their dogs in Midi classes (when entering Combined Programme events) where the bar height is 400mm to ensure good jumping style in maintained as the dog begins its agility career.

Toy and Mini have more time (higher SCT) to complete a course because of their shorter legs.

I didn't know how big your 'devil dog' :thumbsup: is so I included the two smallest size divisions. Also here is a link to ADAA if you wanna check it out for yourself - ADAA

ETA: Also from ADAA in the clubs section...

SunCoast FunDogs Agility Dog Club Inc.

Secretary:

Po Box 100

Morayfield QLD 4506

Ph (07) 5496 1411 E-Mail

Web Page

Train at Old AFL Grounds, Beerburrum Rd, Caboolture, next to Cab. Historical Village, on Tuesday evenings, from 7pm.

and

ADAA offer four different height divisions for dogs, which compete separately. All heights are measured at the wither. There is Toy Class, Mini Class, Midi Class and Maxi Class. The smallest of dogs can have a great time as well as the large dogs. All of the classes have different jump heights for dogs. These jumping height classes were developed to international standards. Toy and Mini have more time to complete a course because of their shorter legs. You can learn more about the different classes on our Rules and Regulations page.

Sorry got a bit carried away...

Edited by belijae

Frisbee - get in contact with Molasseslass, she is involved in it.

Something that hasnt been mentioned (but isnt really a sport as such) is endurance, MrD plans on getting Ebony & Jarrah involved in it this year & hopefully get a title. :eek:

I didn't know how big your 'devil dog' :( is so I included the two smallest size divisions.

Thanks so much for that belijae :eek: I will get onto it ;) Devil dog is little prob the same size as a jack russell :D

Thanks Hesapandabear...I will also look into them as well ;) gotta do something with the 'devil dog' :D

Something that hasnt been mentioned (but isnt really a sport as such) is endurance, MrD plans on getting Ebony & Jarrah involved in it this year & hopefully get a title. :eek:

I mentioned it in the very first reply :D

Hey if you're training 2 dogs, do you need another "bike rider" for the test?

-WithEverythingIAm

Something that hasnt been mentioned (but isnt really a sport as such) is endurance, MrD plans on getting Ebony & Jarrah involved in it this year & hopefully get a title. ;)

I mentioned it in the very first reply ;)

Hey if you're training 2 dogs, do you need another "bike rider" for the test?

-WithEverythingIAm

Ahhhhh sorry WEIA, you did too, can I claim tiredness as a reason? :D

Im sure he could use another rider, cos I wont be doing it :D , dont know too many details but Im guessing you cant handle both dogs at once, so there is an opening for you there :( . Im not sure yet whether he's going to be riding or running, if he was running you would just have to make sure the dog was used to the bike I guess, wouldnt make too much difference I would have thought :eek: .