Dog Goes Nuts Around Anyone New

TFM

Have a female cocker spaniel/poodle and she's a great dog apart from the one problem she goes absolutely off her nut around anyone when they come around to the house.

She's perfectly quiet and settled around us, but she's embarrassing around anyone that doesn't live here (including those who she has seen before). Has anyone got any tips to stop her from doing this?

Do they go nuts over her when they come in?

If they do, then that might be why she goes nuts too....

See what happens if your guests completely ignore her when they come in. No eye contact, no touching, or talking. She might start wondering what all the fuss is about.

How old is your dog and how long does it happen for (I guess it is a puppy being in the puppy section)? My dogs still get excited when visitors come but soon settle down. They did it much more when they were pups.

Edited by Labsmum

Both mine were/are like this

It has only been the last 12 months that Atlas (3) has been allowed inside without a lead when guest are here - he will have asniff, get a pat and lay down.

Before that he was either outside if someone came around, or inside on a lead.

Kaos is feral with new people - Doggie people come in and i get them to ignore her, she wont stop, usually me yelling at her is enough to quite her down, but she still doesnt take her eyes off the person!!

If it is a non dog person then she is either outside, or on a lead. Until she learns she can not go feral with new people, she will not have access to them

Edited by Terrorbull

Maggie did this up until about a month ago ( 13 months of age ). I used to get my visitors to ignore her and then when she calmed down she got attention.

She used to jump up and was terrible but now she goes up to them and gets excited rolls around but doesn't jump.

I found the hardest thing was getting visitors to ignore her . Most would say "Oh no she's ok I love dogs.

If your dog is a puppy it will learn it is a slow process but you will get there.

Yes putting her on a lead and have some control is good idea.

Do you take her to puppy school ? It is a good idea learn all the little tricks on bringing up a pup.

dont let the dog greet people at the door - its too exciting and starts the ball rolling

get the visitors to settle then bring the dog in on a lead. If she starts jumping about take her out again. Carrying on gets no attention at all. Your dog should know sit, get her to sit near them. They can look at her but keep her sitting. Only a couple of pats then she goes out of the room for the rest of the time.

If you know people are coming over reserve her a special food treat. Let he be introduced and if she stays calm, be on lead with you around the guests on her bed in that room. If its too exciting, walk her out quietly - dont grumble at her - and put her away with a meaty bone or her dinner.

slowly but surely she will learn that guests are really nothing to get excited about. Although being of two people orientated breeds you will have a little handfull.