Useful And Not-so-useful Dog Grooming Implements

For my poodle, I just use a soft slicker brush and stainless steel medium-size comb. Brush first, using the other hand to part fur a little to get to the skin, then comb thru after to get out the dead hair. ETA- he's a pet and doesn't have very long fur.

I also use a slicker on my sister's dog who's med-large short-haired dog (coat like a boxer)- it's great to get rid of fur so it's on the brush not on me or the mildly allergic kid. Don't buy a cheap slicker as it's too "scratchy" on the dog's skin and they will hate you using it on them.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

I use a mars comb on Maggie. A Size #10 on the feathers and a #20 on the body.
I have a Mars Coat King (26), slicker brush and tooth comb (like the gripsoft medium comb in the link Hesp posted).

What is the difference between a mars comb and a mars coat king?

When I groomed Andy (RIP) I used a stiff slicker & a double rowed, wide spaced rake. He had enough hair for two dogs.

The slicker created piles of hair and then the rake would take off a little more.

With Spanky I just need a soft slicker.

Bonz

A lot of grooming problems come down to technique as much as the implements used.

If you do not go through a long or double coat section by section and groom from the skin you will end up with mats no matter what you use.

So many people simply work away on top of the coat, dog looks all pretty and smick untill you get your hands in and feel it.

Lay the dog down on its side, and start with small sections, working through slowly and methodically.

You need to work on sections at a time and from the skin, out to the ends of the hair.

For many breeds a dryer set on cool is a wonderful aid here, it will seperate and part the hair, you can see the skin and you work through the coat section by section.

Matting behind ears in the usually finer, softer hair is easily prevented with a comb. The finer and softer the hair there, the finer the comb you need to use.

Always thoroughly groom the dog out before you bath.

Been looking at these Mars Combs, and confusing myself :hug:

What is the difference between these the same products?

Mars Coat King Home Line 19 Blade - clearly says "home line"

Coat-King Original 20 Blade - original turns up on the Mars page.

Coat-King Double 12 Blade - double shows up on the Mars page

This is breed list on the Mars page.

Seem to be quite a cost difference between Vet Products Direct and other outlets. I'm wary because there are no photos shown and the product codes don't seem to match up with anything on the Mars page.

Could someone please clarify if there is any difference, and what would be the best for my Springer X? (He is Springer X with Goldie, we thing.)

:rofl:

While they are all the same brand they are different products, whey they say 20 blade or 26 blade that is how many blades/hooks are on the tool, the higher the number the closer the blades and the tighter the strip.

From the mars website you've linked to it looks as though the 20/26 would be ideal.

But if your dog is crossed with a Goldie then you've got an undercoat to deal with as well, do you have a picture of your dog?

The home brand are cheaper because I think they have a plastic handle and I'm not sure but you may not be able to get replacement blades.

I use a 20 and 26 on maggies body She is a cocker spaniel and a 10 on her feathers . The 20 is much better than the 26 but she hasn't a thick coat she really just has silk hair no undercoat.

As Vehs says the number is how many hooks and a double have double row of hooks.

If you ring Mars they are very helpful and can guide you in the right direction. I got mine straight from the company.

While they are all the same brand they are different products, whey they say 20 blade or 26 blade that is how many blades/hooks are on the tool, the higher the number the closer the blades and the tighter the strip.

From the mars website you've linked to it looks as though the 20/26 would be ideal.

But if your dog is crossed with a Goldie then you've got an undercoat to deal with as well, do you have a picture of your dog?

Thanks for that - there are more pics of Robbie on page two of Ben's thread

post-2393-1168250890_thumb.jpg