!help!

Dachie Chick

Hi,

I have just bought a new first puppy (Miniature Dachshund) and am having alot of trouble getting her to sleep by herself. I have tried putting her to bed in her own room but she whinges the WHOLE night. I tried ignoring her, clapping to distract her, telling her to be "QUIET", tapping her on the nose and telling her no, and sitting with her till she falls asleep then sneaking out.....only lasts 5 mins and she's awake again.....and NONE of this can make her stop whining!

I have put her bed in our spare bathroom with some nice toys (kong with liver treats in it and some chew toys) and I also had a radio going quietly for some white noise but it doesnt seem to help. It wouldnt be so bad except dachie's must have the loudest and most high pitch whinge/bark I have heard! I didnt get any sleep last night and im worried that this will happen when its time for me to go back to work...I need help now! :D

I am open to all suggestions so whatever you have...throw it at me!

Thank you very much

Hey Dachie Chick,

Your puppy is lonely. I live in a very hot climate not unlike Townsville. I wrap up an icebrick in a teatowel or pillow case and put it on the floor or wherever the puppy is going to sleep. They love it. They usually lie with their chin and neck resting on the ice brick and it calms them right down. They don't get too cold as they just roll off it when they need to. It's very comforting to them. All the puppies I have bred go to their new homes with various things including ice bricks and pillow case. The new owners are told that if they want the pup to bed in a particular area to put the cold ice brick wrapped in the pillow case into the basket/bed or wherever and they will stay there. This is how mine are taught from 5 weeks old however, so your 9 week old may be different but you can give it a go as Townsville must be sweltering now. She'll still be lonely but not so whiney. Are you able to check in on her when you go back to work?

I've attached some photos of a couple of happy puppies resting on their icebricks.

post-13431-1167688806_thumb.jpg

post-13431-1167688849_thumb.jpg

post-13431-1167688894_thumb.jpg

Your puppy is whining because it's been removed from its dam and siblings, taken to a strange place and left on its own, this is a very traumatic experience for a baby so obviously it's going to cry. There are two solutions, either ignore the puppy's whining until it grows out of it or purchase a crate and keep your puppy in your bedroom. As the puppy matures the crate can be moved until the puppy is actually sleeping where you want it to sleep. Crates are also a great aid to successful housetraining.

I have a dachshund pup around the same age - 10 weeks now, had very similar problems with sending obi to sleep. Dachshunds are extremely stubborn, obi was adamant that he wanted to sleep with my partner and i as opposed to by himself in the loungeroom. As a compromise we moved his bed into our bedroom, the first few days he whined and whined however after a week he has resigned himself to sleeping in his own bed in the corner of our bedroom that we've blocked off for him to sleep in. Last night he went off to sleep without a peep and slept the whole night! I guess the moral of this story is that you need to be persistant and consistant, as with all breeds but esp. with Dachshunds because they are so determined!

Good Luck!

firstly dont ever 'tap' your puppy on the nose. Has no effect at all and is just rediculous really. Its tapping a todler on the face because its crying for its mother.

Completely ignore it, make sure it has everything it needs and grab some ear plugs. Nothing except time will make the whining stop, dont keep going in and out either or giving the pup attention or it will keep doing it.

I would guess the puppy has whined the whole night because at first you tried ignoring it, then you tried something else, then something else, then...

That's where people go wrong, don't try something else, JUST ignore the whinging. Don't talk to the puppy, don't go out there, nothing. Stay in bed with ear plugs if you have to :D

I have always told my customers to put a windcheater that has been worn by them in with the pup. That was they feel a little more secure having your smells around them. As Shek said, you cant keep changing doing all types of things to distract it, do one thing only. If you keep going in then the puppy has won. Just let him scream. A ticking clock usually works as they think it sounds like a heart beat from their mum or siblings. Just put this under the windcheater.

Whilst i dont have a daschie i think the basic technique is the same with most pups and you have been given good advice about ignoring its cries.

Beleive me i know how hard it is, the first night our boy cried quite a bit, and boy was it hard, the 2nd night he hardly cried at all and after that he only cried to go out to toilet.

Definately totally ignore, dont sit with it, dont make a fuss, its very difficult at first but it really does work, the first time he settles on his own you will want to open the door and check he is ok!!! (but dont LOL).

We also found this sort of set him up for future tantrums as he knew from the start that whinging wouldnt get him anything.

Lots of people swear by crate training and have great succsess but, as our boy was going to be an outside sleeper (and is now) we didnt worry about it, we just used the laundry for the first few weeks. If your pup is going to be inside all the time a crate may be the way to go.

Congrats on your new family member :thumbsup:

My husband and I have had our doggie for 3 weeks now and like you he would cry at night.

The first night he was fine.. He dropped off to sleep for the entire night.. I think because he was plum tuckered out from the big day. The next night he cried and cried and scratched the door etc etc.. Chris and I ignored him for as long as possible. Then we decided to tire him out by playing with him.. At 2am!! OMG!!

The next day I told the lady across the road what happened and she said we shouldn't have gone to him..

So the next night.. We put a T shirt od Chris's in with him.. A clock was hung on the wall. We then said Goodnight Oscar.. Sleep time now and closed the door.

As the previous night he started to cry. We ignored him, until I thought surely people will be getting sick of this noise.. As the lady next door had said something about his crying at night.. So i went to his door and said NO Oscar!!

and he was quiet for about 15 mins and then he started again. Again I said NO Oscar! All was quiet for about 40 mins and he was at it again. Again I said

No Oscar!

and I slept like a baby for the rest of the night :rofl:

When I let him out of his room.. I say good boy.. But don't make a big deal out of it..

Everytime he is put in the room (ie, night time, or when I go out) I say sleep time now and close the door. When I open the door I say hello and we walk straight to the back door to go outside to do his stuff and play around.

It takes time. I think they think you won't come back. So until they get taht you will come back.. He will cry and want to be with you.

Oscar used to be my shaddow for the first week =.. Now he's his own little man.. but still likes to be by my feet while watching tv or I'm at the computer :rofl:

I don't know if that is right or not.. But it worked for Oscar.. Now he's fine with staying by himself :p

Edited by Oscar

Hello again everyone,

Thank you very much for all your replies, they are most helpful! She is a good and beautiful girl but i recognise what xfire is saying in the fact that she is stubborn and demanding. Im sure she will grow out of most of the bad things she is doing at the moment so I guess I just have to wait it out and see (and put in a bit of training :rofl: ). I cant wait till she is old enough and had all of her vaccinations so I can take her out and introduce her to puppy pre-school and other dogs, Im sure she will LOVE it!

I am planning to start crate training her that way she knows she has a safe place that is all hers and if I ever travel i know there will be no problems in taking her with me.

Thanks again and wish me luck!!! :thumbsup:

I've heard of 2 things that can help a new puppy settle at night.

First get a few cotton socks...& stuff them with other cotton socks...& knot the top so they're like sausage shapes...about same size as the pup.

Arrrange for whoever bred your puppy, to rub & rub those shapes over the mother dog & the other puppies...to get their scents on them.

Then put a couple of those shapes in the pup's new bed at their new home. Then the pup has something to snuggle up among...which feels & smells like its littermates & mother.

Second, put the pup's bed right beside your bed at first. Then gradually, as pup settles, move the bed back to where you eventually want it to be.

Edited by mita