Sick Of Unprofessional Groomers

Hey Dol's

I know the question for groomers has come up quite a few times but I'm going to ask.

I have been taking my border collie to a particular grooming salon. Lately i have noticed that each time I take him, they seem to clip a section of his hair, bald (does that make sense)

Yes I know that he might have moved for them, but all the time????? I understand that this can happen but it would be nice if they tell you.

So when the hair starts to grow back, it gets itchy for him therefore he bites at it. So out comes the cream to stop him biting or licking there.

I tried mobile groomers but have had a bad experience with them and most of them won't use my preferred shampoo or can't come on the days that I am at home.

Am I being too picky?

So my question is this,

Does anyone know any experienced and professional groomers? I live in the South West but don't care if its not in my area.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the South West but don't care if its not in my area.

South West of where?

Anyways - I use a friend of the family to groom my two, as she is also a professional and I trust her to do the job I want.

I hate mobile frannies - had bad experience because the main thing I want them to do is the nails and ears because I have been informed if you do them wrong - you do damage and I am not that confident in grooming dogs just yet.

My advice look around and ask people you know who they use - I didn't even know my groomer friend was a groomer until I asked who she took her dogs too - I never thought to ask "Hey, what do you do for a living?". And yes they should have told you the first time if your dog moves!!!

This is the thing.

I have only asked them once to give him a hair trim just to tidy him up. Only once. When I saw the bald spot ( again ) I went off. I asked them who did it and then I said he was only supposed to have a wash. No hair cutting. I was told the lady who had him had left for the holidays.

Its so frustrating.

I'm don't want to go back.

I live in Bringelly

With my last dog, I went to one salon and specifically gave them instructions not to trim back the fall (the hair) over his eyes. Wheatens are supposed to have a fall over their eyes, obviously in case they run into any loose badgers. Picked him up, no fall. He looked like a schnauzer. I was furious. Useless tits.

Its a shame that grooming salons dont listen to the requests of the owners. :thumbsup:

Most mobile franchises only wash and do no grooming or clipping.

Most Groomers do LISTEN. I try very hard to do what the customer wants, within reason.

It is very possible however to glitches in the communications, can happen in multi staff places or with unusual breeds or with the new trendy mutts, I refuse to call them by their ridiculous DD names, I was told yesterday by a client that the dog was to have a Moodle cut.

WTF is that??? every one is different to the next, it is getting plain stupid.

Not that it would have made much difference what they actually wanted the dog to look like, it ended up coming all off with a #7 because of the matting. We had to have a big talk about the at home grooming required so we can try and grow the coat and possibly style it the way they picture it being.

I actually groomed 2 dogs from the same litter yesterday and they were both totally different with totally different coats.

Its a shame that grooming salons dont listen to the requests of the owners. :rofl:

Most mobile franchises only wash and do no grooming or clipping.

Most Groomers do LISTEN. I try very hard to do what the customer wants, within reason.

Nadia :thumbsup:

I will always listen to my client. But if a dog is matted to the skin, I refuse to pull at its matts, and will clip it right back, so that the dog is comfortable.

Perhaps the area the groomer clipped was badly matted?

Much better to have a bald patch than your dog tortured. :rofl:

Duke gets a thorough brushing every second day. I make sure there are no matts and if there is, I cut it out.

This groomer told me that that it is so nice to have a well looked after dog and believe me he is.

I agree Nadia, things are getting stupid.

I went to a grooming salon specifically to get that extra attention, nothing diffferent or special cut etc, just a wash and the result so far is disappointing.

Im a mobile groomer and I do clipping etc. Not a franchise, I started from scratch on my own. I always go over the dog with the owner there and if it is matted I simply explain how it has to be done. I have always had positive results.

I just spent 2 weeks grooming up at Kempsey, and I had clients coming from everywhere, and they said they wish I would move up there because I was affordable and the job was excellent. A few of them will be driving their dogs to Newcastle just so I clip them.

Not all of us are bad :thumbsup:

Don't know any solons in your area sorry.

"Most mobile franchises only wash and do no grooming or clipping."

The mobile franchises I went to, on the phone I said "I want the nails and ears done" they told me sure thing. She cut one nail and didn't touch the ears. And that was on a BC! That she also claimed to own five BC's.

"Most Groomers do LISTEN. I try very hard to do what the customer wants, within reason."

I've been to three different groomers and everyone has listened except one, - one dog was cut a little shorter then I excepted I asked what was the go and he replyed - he was a little matted so we had to cut it out - I knew he was matted but this was before I realised how much pain it causes to brush them out and he explained all this too me so all was fine!

another mobile groomer here and i always try to do what the owner wants but sometimes it is hard eg a guy before xmas wanted his maltese clipped so it looked like a foxie....WTF :thumbsup: how do you do that??? a guy that got me out to groom his lab x poodle and this dog had the worse mats ive ever seen and he wanted it cliped but not short....i guess it comes down to how realistic the owner is in what they want done, some goormers arnt as good as others you just need to find one that works for you, i havnt had any complaints about the work i do, but a few complaints about a few dog washs in the area...

i wash to BC's and the younger one of the two sometimes gets this weird skin issue and in this one spot if i brush him his hair falls out, and it leaves this tiny bald spot i dont know if its a hot spot of just a bad reaction he has to fleas, he doesnt have many but if one bites him he reacts bad.

I have been taking my border collie to a particular grooming salon. Lately i have noticed that each time I take him, they seem to clip a section of his hair, bald (does that make sense)

Yes I know that he might have moved for them, but all the time????? I understand that this can happen but it would be nice if they tell you.

So when the hair starts to grow back, it gets itchy for him therefore he bites at it. So out comes the cream to stop him biting or licking there.

Is it the same section they keep clipping? It could be some underlying skin problem.

My old Border :thumbsup: used to scratch at a part of his back but the skin always seemed clean and healthy underneath. As he grew old he started to develop hotspots in the area. He was washed in Malaseb. The vet seemed to think that he may have had a low grade skin problem that escalated as his immune system weakened.

I would wait till the groomer got back and ask why she did it, though I do think they should have told you why at the time.

As Boot aged he couldn't cope with the heat so he was clipped short every summer.

It's not always the same place. This time it was on top of his left hind leg. Very

noticable. I should have taken a photo.

I did go to the vet to get it checked out as I was worried and she told me everything is ok.

He was just clipped there.

He is still a puppy ( only 8 mths )

I'm dreading taking him back there.

Edited by border14

Border 14:

I'm dreading taking him back there

Then don't!!

A BC doesn't really require professional grooming. Why don't you learn to care for his coat yourself. Bathing, brushing and trimming are all within the scope of any dog owner, regardless of breed.

DOL is the place to get all the grooming tips you'd ever need for your dog. It's also cheaper in the long run to do it yourself.