Sick Of Unprofessional Groomers

A vet nurse at my local vet clinic has skills in clipping/grooming. Every time I take one of the Tibetan Spaniels to her, she discusses thoroughly what is wanted. She does a lovely job...& also expresses their anal glands. The Tibbie girls think she's marvellous & happily trot away with her...not a glance back at mum.

I think you have to search around for the groomer who suits your dog's needs...& word of mouth is a good way to do some sussing out.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not taking him back

He is a long hair bc.

I was grooming him myself until about 2 mths ago when my husband suggested that I try groomers.

Long story and many arguments later I gave in and now I think he is slowly seeing what I am talking about.

Im already looking into buying a dryer and a hydrobath but hydrobaths are expensive.

Does anyone know know where I can get maybe a second hand hydrobath or dryers.

Do you really need a hydrobath? I prefer to use fresh water and add the shampoo direct to the dog.

If you have access to hot/cold water you can buy big plastic dog bathing tubs from some grooming suppliers.

A grooming table is very useful - and saves your back. :thumbsup:

I'd do your dog yourself.

I do mine and it is very rewarding to see the end product. I have a hydrobath and with a long haired dog I do think they get right down to the skin and also loosen up all the dead hair.

A blower well I use an ordinary hair dryer but in your case maybe a proper grooming dryer would be better otherwise you may be there all day. There is a thread not long ago on driers and hydrobaths .

My husband said he could do something to connect hot/cold water.

We are going to look into that today.

I have a grooming table that I use each time I do brush him.

Hubbie is giving in. He always said that I am too perticular with my bub but I know that I won't be happy unless I do wash/groom him myself

And yes the grooming tips on DOL have helped me heaps

Thanks Poodlefan

The other advantage of DIY is it means you can have more dogs!! :rofl:

No way could I afford to have three poodles professionally groomed - and frankly I do a better job than many who consider themselves pros.

The other real advantage of DIY is that your dog can always look good - not just once every couple of months. :thumbsup:

Have tried my hair dryer and I'm there forever and it doesn't blow the dead hair out so I really need to invest in a proper dryer.

You need to strip the dead coat out. I have recently discovered a tool called a coat king that is brilliant for sripping out the dead undercoat of my BC.

I only was my BC's about every 2-3 months unless they have skin problems or roll in something disgusting. They don't sem to smell (they are house dogs) and the natural oils in the coat repel dirt. I do brush regularly.

There are places around where you can DIY hydrobath

Nadia, I am only repeating what I have been told from dis-satisfied people in the area in which I live, perhaps it is indicative of this area only :eek:

One of the advantages of the mobile service if they do do grooming and clipping is that the owner can remain whilst their dog is being attended to, and say exactly what it is they want.

Case in point recently when I did a pomeranian, not only did the grooming salon not do what the owner wanted but charged her $50.00 for just a clip, whereas I did what she wanted, clipped and bathed the dog and charged her $35. :)

border14 have a look in the classifieds section of this site there may be something.

Ebay dog dryer

Dog Dryers

I use one of these (it's designed for emptying and refilling fish tanks). It's screws on to your indoor taps (if they have an end that comes off) so you can use it in the bath. Or use it on the outdoor tap. All the usual hose fittings will work with it. It's probably cheaper if you make one up from parts at Bunnings but easier to buy. :eek:

Do you really need a hydrobath? I prefer to use fresh water and add the shampoo direct to the dog.

Not sure what you mean there Poodlefan, I operate a Mobile grooming business & ALL our dogs are washed in fresh water, and also rinsed in clean fresh water.

If you are not happy with what your groomer is doing then don't take it back.

I have a fantastic rapport with all my clients, & make a point of know EXACTLY what is required.

We are not all bad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what you mean there Poodlefan, I operate a Mobile grooming business & ALL our dogs are washed in fresh water, and also rinsed in clean fresh water.

I have a fantastic rapport with all my clients, & make a point of know EXACTLY what is required.

I agree Silverblue I Had a mobile dog grooming business also. We too used fresh water each time and made sure all shampoo ( Use soap free rinses anyway) was rinsed off. We had a great business . I sold it 6 years ago but still get phone calls asking to wash peoples dogs as they know I still have a hydrobath at home ( small town grapevine).

Edited by magthedag

Nothing sinister Silverblue - I meant if you don't need a hydrobath to heat the water and are happy to add shampoo to the dog, rather than a tank, you can live without a hydrobath.

Nothing sinister Silverblue - I meant if you don't need a hydrobath to heat the water and are happy to add shampoo to the dog, rather than a tank, you can live without a hydrobath.

Yes you can live without a hydrobath but here with the drought we are not allowed to use the hose. so we have to "buckett wash". This way you can't really get the dog clean IMO especially if you have a longer haired dog. Also using a hydrobath can save you an enourmus amount of water. For an average wash you need 3-4 bucketts so that's roughly 30-40 ltrs. In de hydrobath I have I only need 15ltr and max 10 to clean up after. do this times 2 dogs and I save about 30-40 ltrs. now I choose to wash the girls in the same water so I use only max 25ltr what saves me up to 60ltrs. And what I also think is a big advantage, you get the dogs much cleaner without having to scrub!

I know not all mobile groomers and salon groomers are bad. From the feedback given from some DOL's who are groomers, I'm sure you all do a fantastic job.

Its a shame you all are too far for me to meet you.

Unfortunately I have had nothing but bad experiences, but we have decided to groom him myself like how I started to do from the beginning.

And have also taken on board the advice given in the forum. :eek:

When I had big dogs I ran a hose from the laundry tap so that I could use warm water. And you know those things that attach to the hose to water in fertiliser or weedkiller? I had one like that and put shampoo in it so that it got right to the skin. It was years ago so can't remember where I got it but probably a hardware. For a border collie I would definitely get a good blower type dryer. That one on ebay looks good. You can blast the water out of the coat.

with a long haired BC i would invest in a good blowdryer on a stand rather then a hyrdobath. Makes brushing dead coat out soo much easier :rofl:

If you keep your dogs coat brushed and matt free then you should be fine with just a bucket and sponge wash.

Also the other thing only place our work clips the long haired BC's is the underbelly and bum area. Helps keep it cleaner.

I didn't think that you could clip BC's coats, as it grows back funny? (I haven't tested this, so I'm not sure what "funny" means - I was told this by a groomer once?)

I prefer grooming Indi myself, I really like the results I can get (I like playing around with the plush puppies rinses, sprays, glitter etc :hug: )