Monty Puss

j

My poor old Monty Puss was attacked by two dogs this afternoon and died as a result of his injuries.

We were just returning home from watching my daughter play water polo. Turned the corner in the car, and saw two dogs in the gutter outside my house with my cat.

I abandoned the car in the middle of the road, jumped out and grabbed the dogs. Made my husband race down and get some leads so we could hang onto them. Only one had a collar on. As soon as we had the leads on them, I grabbed the cat and raced inside with him. His injuries were pretty horrific, but he was still alive. I immediately rang my vet, but long weekend etc, got a number to an emergency after hours surgery. Tried another local vet I have used before, but got the same number. Spoke to them, said I was on my way. Tied the dogs up in my neighbours yard (we have two dogs of our own) and raced off to the vets. Sadly, he died before I got there. The vet was fantastic. He has written a report for us, detailing all his injuries for the dog inspectors. He cleaned him up as best he could, and has wrapped him up in calico.

Poor old Mont was 17yrs old. He was in our front yard, and has been dragged out into the gutter by these dogs. He basically spent his entire days asleep, either in the house, or under a bush in the front garden. He has had both hips replaced over his lifetime, so wasn't able to run anymore. I hate to think how terrifying it must have been for him.

The rangers had been and collected the dogs before I returned from the vets. They told my husband that two dogs had killed a cat two days ago, not far from where we live. One of them was described as a rotty. (The dogs we caught were a rotty and a kelpi-ish dog). The vet also said that they had had a cat brought into them from our suburb, where two dogs were involved in the attack, no description of the dogs though. I don't recognise these dogs as from our local area.

Because of the holidays, it will be Tuesday before I speak with them to provide a statement. I just hope there is no way the owners are able to get them released before I make a statement to them, as the ranger who collected the dogs will be on leave next week, and I have to deal with a different person. They were collected afterhours, so hopefully the relevant paperwork will be completed, preventing them from being released until I have been spoken to.

Poor old Mont. I've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He was older than any of my kids. He really didn't deserve an end like this, after all he has been through in his life.

post-19-1081601349.jpg

Guest jess&anka

Monty looked very cute..... He was watching that race track rather well!! to see if he could catch any cars!!

R.I.P Monty!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. It's been a very long night and day. I didn't sleep at all last night, and have had a very fractured day. The poor kids didn't get their easter egg hunt this morning, but to be honest, I don't think any of them noticed.

We buried Monty this morning in the garden, near his favourite sunning spot. We went to the garden centre, where no 2 daughter chose some shrubs to plant.

Many thanks again for your kind wishes.

Hello j

I am so sad to hear of your loss; the effects of irresponsible owners are huge. If these two dogs had been properly confined, Monty would still be alive and the dogs would not be incarcerated and at risk of also dying.

R.I.P. Monty :)

Peter D

Oh J, so sorry to hear the news. Poor Monty, what a horrible end, so tragic and unfair. I feel sick just thinking about it!!

I would definitely take this all the way, irresponsible owners :)

J, I feel for you and your family, poor monty, dear old fella. :D

I am glad you managed to get the dogs, even if they are not the dogs that have been killing the other cat (probably were though). Once they start they will probably do it again.

So good idea for getting them of the streets.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Rest in pease, Monty

:)

Thanks again everyone. I have heard from the Inspector today. One of the dogs had ID, but all numbers are disconnected. No ID on the other dog at all. :)

The owner of the other cat that was attacked is away, but they will get them in during the week to see if they can identify the dogs as responsible for the attacks. If no body attends to claim the dogs as theirs, they will be PTS. If they do, the Rangers will be pursuing the matter.

Poor dogs, it's not their fault. But, they need to be off the streets. Our street goes up to horse and cattle paddocks. I'd hate to think of the damage they would cause if they continued their killing spree up there.

My thoughts are with you too Anastasia.

loving thoughts to poor Monty and your family, no pet or person should ever have to go through this. You are doing the right thing pursuing the matter, so sad for the dogs involved, they will be the ones who cop the punishment - when it should be thier owners. The only time we ever have any major dramas here, is when someone's unsecured dog tries to make trouble in our own fenced property. And of course once again, irresponsible owners will give the breeds involved a bad name ;)

healing thoughts for all of you, and a catnip filled afterlife for Monty :D

im so sorry to hear. my thoughts are with you.

i havent lost a pet yet, but my parents dog (the family dog) is getting old and while she is healthy and active, she has the ocassional fit and looses control of her body and im dreading the day she goes. :)

Your sad news nearly made me cry. I love cats. My husband ran one of my cat s over right in front of me & then her brother died a few weeks later. They were 15 yrs old. I think he pined for her. My sister did something really sweet. She found a garden ornament of 2 cats nuzzling each other & I couldnt believe how much they looked like my 2.I put it under their favourite shrub & when I had to leave them behind to move to another house I took the ornament and found a lovely place in my new garden.I know it sounds stupid but I think their spirits are there with that ornament

Thanks again everyone. It was a very long week. Last night was very hard. 1 week. God, it seems so long ago.

The dogs have been identified as responsible for the attack on the other cat, although apparently only the Rottie was responsible on that occasion. Because of this, they (pound) are only recommending that the owner surrender the rotty for destruction. They are possibly just going to get a dangerous dog declaration for the kelpie. They were giving the dogs owner a few days to make a decision, so at this stage, I'm unsure what the end result will be.

I feel sorry for the dogs. It's not their fault, but I would hate to think that someone else has been put through the same thing I have because I didn't do something about it.