Darkrai

Poodle Thread

25,799 posts in this topic

Leah82   

nawww she looks gorgeous Kirty,

I'm just popping in here with a new found love of poodles after going to a grooming seminar with Isabella Jane Doblas Jones a groomer and standard poodle breeder from spain

Lily123   

Toby looks beautiful Kirty - you did a great job. It takes me HOURS to do Jasper.

Jetson   
post-38931-0-12008200-1437893276_thumb.jpgMy beautiful Rocky girl and her beauty treatment. Edited by Jetson

Thank you I was in correspondence with his breeder until I asked them the question and I haven't heard from them since, I wasn't asking them to be critical just wondering what to expect.

My mini girl as a pup was so dark it was hard to see her face clearly in a lot of pics but Hugo is not as dark, it became quite noticeable while taking photos.

Oscar, our previous mini was limited register, but breeder also had show dogs.

He had small brown bits near paws on back of legs that I initially thought was dirt/mud.

When looked at his papers, was brown in the lines.

Finally heard back from the breeder no other colours in his lines except black and red. His adult coat is nice and black but he has a bluish colour under his chin and although his face isn't blue it's definately not as dark as our black mini or standard was.

Hard to belive he is turning 1 tomorrow, hopefully it will be a nice day so he can have some fun at the beach.

Dogs4Fun   

Well I had a cracker of a weekend at our State Obedience Trials.

My boy qualified in UD on two days and earned himself first and second places. My girl got a second in UD on one day and her UD title.

This was despite terrible heat and dry prickly grass!

Watto   

EDIT - I know the answer to my question from earlier today so have removed it. :)

Edited by Watto

Zug Zug   

Hi everyone - it's been a long time since I've visited these forums but I am feeling quite sad tonight.

My older dog Zamba left us today (well, it's yesterday now). She was just 17 years old, had been declining gradually for some time but this week reached the point where I was unable to control her pain anymore, as the pain relief she was given by our vet was making her very sick. But as soon as I stopped it she was clearly in a lot of pain again. The diarrhoea did not subside and she was off her food as well. I know it was her time.

Even so, I found it a very difficult decision to make, as she still seemed happy sometimes. But I just wasn't able to keep her comfortable anymore and the nights had become particularly hard. My daughters came with me to the vet, and I held her head and patted her while she went to sleep for the last time.

I'm feeling quite devastated to be honest. We had her for 16 years (got her from the animal welfare league). We did a bunch of obedience trialling together, won some lovely trophies and medals, all of that. I know she was very old and her body was failing on too many fronts to list here. But I just feel I have betrayed her in some way (I know this is not right, but somehow knowing that doesn't seem to be doing it for me tonight I'm afraid). I had quite limited sleep for the past few nights, so I suppose that's not helping me either.

Anyway, rest in peace Zuggy. You left us with so many stories to tell and memories to cherish and laugh about. How you made it to 17 is beyond me - you got up to so much trouble in your younger years. You seemed much more likely to come to death by misadventure. So I should be happy for you, and hopefully I will be able to feel that way soon.

That leaves Pasha as our only dog for the time being, and I just don't feel up to thinking about another dog at this point.

He has always been an active dog, and has patrolled our yard proudly and happily for almost 4 years now (he actually turns 4 in a few days). He and Zamba were mates, but as her health declined he seemed to ignore her more and more. They would both trot around the yard, but it was almost like they were living in parallel universes. She could barely see him and was deaf, but she barked if he looked excited about something. He just basically went about his business.

Anyone else got an active standard poodle at home without a canine companion? I am expecting him to adjust well, but wondering how they generally cope being a sole canine. I think I'm expecting him to become a little more demanding of exercise etc., but overall probably fine I think (I hope). So far he doesn't seem to miss her, but we have not yet left him home alone.

I only work part-time, and there are always people coming and going from this house. There will be maybe 2-3 days a week when we'll be needing to leave him here alone for long periods of e.g. 8 hours or so. Shorter absences are obviously more frequent.

Zug Zug   

Hi everyone - just realising that the DOL forums are not as active as they used to be.

No worries about replying to the post above. So far he's adjusting well and I've decided to get him back into formal obedience training to help keep his mind occupied. So far he seems quite unaffected.

It's so much quieter here than I'm used to, but I'll get used to it. I think concentrating my efforts on Pasha is the right thing to do for a while.

For anyone that does pop in here - hello and I hope you're all enjoying your poodles at home. I've had a lot of enjoyment from this forum over the years.

Lily123   

Oh Zug Zug, I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. I know how heartbreaking it is. When we lost our old boy a few years ago, our younger dog coped fine but of course I think it depends on the dogs involved. I hope Pasha does okay. I'm sure the obedience will help. Once again, I'm so sorry. Gentle hugs to all.

zeebie   

Time has flown puppies have grown & grown now 7 months old and coats slowly fading to reveal shades of future silver :thumbsup:

Miss Dee Dee has had success in the show ring with Baby of breed at Brisbane Royal, 2nd baby puppy bitch at Poodle nationals. and 5 more shows each taking first place including recent minor of breed win. Sister Lottie has had to be content to be the bridesmaid but 2016 looks like a change in the wind for her. Big brother has had 3 outings but the show ring is not his forte, looking like trying his paws at the obedience trials.

Mumma Mei will celebrate her 4th birthday on Wednesday and is getting her pre birth coat back and loving playing with the kids!

Will post some pics soon

Hi everyone - just realising that the DOL forums are not as active as they used to be.

No worries about replying to the post above.

For anyone that does pop in here - hello and I hope you're all enjoying your poodles at home. I've had a lot of enjoyment from this forum over the years.

It is quiet here, seems everyone is using facebook instead. I just looked in for the 1st time in ages.

So sorry for your loss of Zamba. Do not feel guilty at all. It is worse to keep them going & let them suffer because you can't let go than to do the kind thing for them, which is what you did. Its always awful no matter how they die but try & focus on all the happy times you had with her & not the end part.

Big hug to you ( emoticons won't load for some reason like my stupid computer )

Some of mine are getting old now too, 10, 11 & 14 next month. The 10 & 14 year old have slowed down & are loving but not much fun sleeping a lot these days but the 11 year is still as active & lunatic & funny as anything.

The younger ones keep me entertained. puppies due in march so I may pop in here around then & post some photos.

Hi to everyone else that still looks in now & then.

*kirty*   

Just popping in to introduce Preston. ???? He is a 14yo Toy Poodle and he is completely blind. I *accidentally* brought him home last week lol. He has fitted in so well and is the most gorgeous little man.

CYMERA_20160515_232019.jpg

CYMERA_20160515_231830.jpg

CYMERA_20160515_231407.jpg

Mim   

He is lovely Kirty!! How lucky of you to enjoy his retirement with him :) What's his story?

He is gorgeous Kirty :)

I never posted in this thread as it seems super quiet now days... I have read through it though :)

This is my new baby - Finnick (Everyone calls him Finn though) He's now 5 months old.

post-44992-0-10965700-1463386822_thumb.jpg post-44992-0-69324400-1463386822_thumb.jpg

Mim   

He's gorgeous, MDD!! I love poodles.