leopuppy04

Aussie Pics

31,669 posts in this topic

kdf   

I find it pretty hard to keep weight on Nova too, he drops weight easily.

Before I got him people told me Aussies were like labs and loved their food and prone to fatness! Not this one! laugh.gif

I got one of the labs in Aussie clothing. Ivy will eat anything edible (and even some things that aren't but that she thinks might taste okay anyway :laugh: )

I'm actually pretty glad Nova didn't get that trait. Especially after having an actual lab who literally ate anything, including metal... laugh.gif

I took this photo of Nova today, he's been cooped up inside for 2 weeks on a minor KC scare. Got permission to head outside finally.

So here's my boy now all grown up at 2yrs as well biggrin.gif

11223914_10152995520615787_1152148471108247099_n.jpg?oh=f3e40b16a1281bf6f6aaa4bf43a16945&oe=5603E2E7&__gda__=1443161841_4dbf7d194f64ce37ea579d3359a0a43e

Proves my point. As a puppy Ivy chewed up and ate a Pepsi can. After an emergency vet visit and xray she had no ill effects from it. This girl has a cast iron stomach!

LisaCC   

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

MDD: I've just managed to get Nova back up to a weight I'm happy with (about 24kgs), he had dropped down to 21 at one stage and was all bone. He's still quite lean, but has gained a lot of muscle recently. I'm happy where he is now, on the leaner side but nice and muscular as we are doing more and more agility training and should be ready for trials this year if we get our act together.

eek1.gif KDF! Wow she's a lucky girl! I can just imagine all the sharp edges of the can if it went through slightly wrong!

My lab Sam had a similar emergency trip to the vets when he was young. My sister dropped her entire key ring full of keys and he grabbed it and swallowed in one swift motion...

Very interesting X-ray. They also found more bits of metal (no idea where they had came from) and half a tennis ball. All somehow passed with no problems.

This same dog also chewed through the foundation posts of our veranda when he was 9 months old even though he had all the mental stimulation and physical exercise he could ever want.

He grew up to be a lovely dog, but continued to destroy stuff and eat what ever fit into his mouth his entire life laugh.gif.

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

MDD: I've just managed to get Nova back up to a weight I'm happy with (about 24kgs), he had dropped down to 21 at one stage and was all bone. He's still quite lean, but has gained a lot of muscle recently. I'm happy where he is now, on the leaner side but nice and muscular as we are doing more and more agility training and should be ready for trials this year if we get our act together.

Yeah Koda could do with more muscle. It's been ages since I've done any agility with him. Don't think I'll ever be able to train with him properly at a school, but I did teach him the basics at home. I should get the equipment out again, I'll probably have to re-train the weave poles, he never liked doing them... and the last time I tried, he kept cheating by rubbing himself along the side of them instead of actually weaving :laugh: He absolutely loves the tunnel though, that's his all time favourite obstacle!!

Quinn has been on the chubby side up until recently, I had to watch to make sure she didn't get to fat. Just since we've been in Qld weight seems to have dropped off her. Nothing is significantly different so I don't know what it is. She's probably more active here, we have bigger off leash areas for her to do some good running and a bigger yard (well, a yard as opposed go a tiny courtyard) so they all run and play more at home.

I wondered if their food ingredients had changed and she wasn't doing as well on it but I've tried a couple of different foods that she's been fine on before and no difference.

So she's getting an extra feed of dry and extra oily fish, mince etc

He's looking nice Lisa :). It's a boy thing I'm afraid - and a young Aussie thing with the weight. My Koda at almost 2.5 (and likely bigger than your boy judging by the pics!) only weighs in at about 22 - 23kgs and I'd like him to be more around the 24 - 25kgs... but aside from over-feeding him to the point he has a sore gut, I just have to slowly, slowly feed him up a little. About 3 yrs they tend to settle down. I think at one stage Tahlia was on about 6cups of dry food (equivalent - my guys don't get that much dry!) a day when she was younger!

Kinta on the other hand just has to look at food to put on weight!!

Happy birthday for yesterday to Robo's litter mates Blaize, Beau, Maisie, Harper & one more who lives locally in the next town (but I can't remember his name!) thumbsup1.gif

heart.gifheart.gif Kathy let me borrow Harper yesterday for birthday cuddles & treats heart.gifheart.gif

Edited by Scootaloo

Happy birthday for yesterday to Robo's litter mates Blaize, Beau, Maisie, Harper & one more who lives locally in the next town (but I can't remember his name!) thumbsup1.gif

heart.gifheart.gif Kathy let me borrow Harper yesterday for birthday cuddles & treats heart.gifheart.gif

a difficult day for you and for me :( Would have been Leo's 11th birthday yesterday too. Only the best doggies are born on the 25th May :angel: :angel:

a difficult day for you and for me :( Would have been Leo's 11th birthday yesterday too. Only the best doggies are born on the 25th May :angel: :angel:

Aww yup very special day then!! Always the good ones that aren't around long enough frown.gif

LisaCC   

MDD, we're still stuck on weaves actually, thats our final battle. Nova loves the tunnel too! I've actually had to teach Nova to calm himself around the tunnel and the Dog Walk as he was at a point where he was just looking at them and doing zoomies... He's very enthusiastic laugh.gif

I've become the person at dog training where everyone else is trying to get their dog to embrace equipment and get more excited, and I'm doing LAT to equipment laugh.gif It's worked though!

Thanks LP :) Wow Tahlia! 6 cups is so much!

grouphug.gif To you and Scootaloo. Leo and Robo, both taken too soon xx

Wishing you lots of happy birthday memories of your gorgeous boys Scootaloo and LP :hug:

Edited by Simply Grand

kdf   

Weaves are our last hurdle to enter agility too Lisa.

We're doing 12 straight but we're still working on her confidence with them and trying to get our striding right. I've loved teaching with 2x2 as well, I think it's the easiest way I've taught weaves and Ivy has been so enthusiastic with it the whole way through.

We're almost there and I'm so pleased with her.

LisaCC   

I started teaching Nova 2X2, but we got to a certain point (around 8, I think) where we were finding it difficult to add the next 2, it just wasn't clicking. I went to a seminar and got some advise and I started re-teaching them using the channel method, I almost have them straight now smile.gif.

It's quite good actually as even though we don't have them completely straight yet (although the middle is straight!), he's doing them at a distance and entering them well.

kdf   

I did the channel method with my kelpie and I've never really been happy with her weaves. Different dog though with a very different mindset.

LisaCC   

Novas a very fast dog, so I'm always trying to get out in front of him. So I'm aiming for him to be able to do them fairly independently of me. My training club always taught weaves very old school, stepping the dogs through with the lead and literally physically weaving the dogs through, so most the dogs won't do weaves unless their handler is right next to them egging them on.

So I've pretty much taught ourselves going off books and videos and the one off seminar we can get to, and going to the club for the equipment and environment laugh.gif

I can already send Nova in and run ahead of him to the next obstacle while he finishes, so I'm hoping that as I finish closing in the weaves we keep that. That's the plan anyway... We'll see how that plays out!

Edited by LisaCC

I taught Koda weaves with the channel method, he was doing it well pretty fast, although he had very little enthusiasm for it. He was only doing it because he knew he'd get something tasty at the end :p I had him doing 6 poles well, 12 poles with guidance. But its been so long, he won't do any now :laugh:

Koda loves doing the jumps, tunnel and A-frame at his own pace, when it comes to actually running a course and doing any other obstacles, he's really quite disinterested in it :p He's also the type of dog that is a bit distracted... Eg: "Oh look a butterfly, i have to go and play with it!!"

I don't think agility is really his thing :p

teekay   

I don't know how you are transitioning from 6 to 12 but Susan Garrett does it as two sets of 6, a good distance apart to begin with, then gradually move the sets closer until they make a solid 12. (You probably already know this :) } Seemed to work well for Luka, he picked up the 2x2s so quick, i think it is a fantastic method. Although I do know people who get totally confused about it :laugh:

betsy   

I have a very enthusiastic agility Aussie too! Tonight was a big night for us as he managed to do 12 weaves at training. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: It has easily been the most difficult piece of equipment to train (he looooooves tunnels, jumps, dog walk etc). I also have to dampen down the enthusiasm and slow him down a bit on the equipment because he zips around.

Anyway, what I think got us over the line was last week due to poor weather and me being the only one to turn up for the class, the instructor very happily did a one on one weave training session (6 poles). It was fantastic to get the feedback and to be honest Ziggy is so happy to be training that we were able to do quite a number of run throughs to get it right. So tonight when he had a go with 12 poles, he did the initial run and popped out around 10, then tried again and just did them all! He managed to repeat this performance.

(BTW I'm not entirely sure what method we have been using, but close to the 2x2 I think)

Edited by betsy

I started teaching Nova 2X2, but we got to a certain point (around 8, I think) where we were finding it difficult to add the next 2, it just wasn't clicking. I went to a seminar and got some advise and I started re-teaching them using the channel method, I almost have them straight now smile.gif.It's quite good actually as even though we don't have them completely straight yet (although the middle is straight!), he's doing them at a distance and entering them well.

I had the same issue - even now while Tahli is competing and ok, we still get a lot of missed weaves - very much me.... She's been the hardest to get consistent!

I've found my best method is 2x2 for entries, channel for speed and consistency :)

Novas a very fast dog, so I'm always trying to get out in front of him. So I'm aiming for him to be able to do them fairly independently of me. My training club always taught weaves very old school, stepping the dogs through with the lead and literally physically weaving the dogs through, so most the dogs won't do weaves unless their handler is right next to them egging them on. So I've pretty much taught ourselves going off books and videos and the one off seminar we can get to, and going to the club for the equipment and environment laugh.gifI can already send Nova in and run ahead of him to the next obstacle while he finishes, so I'm hoping that as I finish closing in the weaves we keep that. That's the plan anyway... We'll see how that plays out!

That's awesome - Texas must like producing good agility dogs! KK is surprising me and his 1/2 sister Shine is a quick girlie too! We had our first trial the other week - he had a ball :rofl: Koda has his first 'weekend of comps' queens birthday weekend - obedience Sunday/ Agility monday :o

Hey everyone! Just popping back in, it has been a long while since I have posted. So I can't come back and post without sharing some new photos.

Have not been showing anywhere near as much as usual, but have been doing a lot of agility with ADAA and recently got his 10th clear round card/qualifier. He is only 1 away from his BAAD and AAD now :) He also got his ET last year, has his first JD card and we are working towards being able to compete in RallyO.

Looking forward to going back through all the posts!

11329897_10153920605513662_2036582720948657656_n.jpg?oh=9c4590ebe118c692b2558983041df66f&oe=56036549&__gda__=1443535620_97928e9f9ce2009aa2e70abeda5398b5