A Jumping Labrador

Ledg

Hi all,

We have a 6month old labrador pup and she is extremly testing our patience at the moment. When we bought our house and then our little baby the fence we thought would do for at least a year or so as its about 1.5mt chain fence. Yesterday when my finace got home and i was out unpacking the car she figured out how to scale and then throw herself over the fence. My fiance tired to grab her and then she ran out onto the road and was bumped by a car. We took her to the vet immediatly and she is fine. Now the problem is will she continue to jump the fence now that she knows how to. We now have to keep her locked down stairs under the house when we are at work 2 days a week. What to do?? Am extremly stressed and have not the funds to build a new fence in the near future.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

post-12518-1168393892_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ledg

The only thing i think i could recommend is perhaps some things that will keep her entertained enough during the day? perhaps a treat ball or a kong, a purpose made sand pit filled with hidden toys etc?

I do not have your problem of fence scaling but i do have a 7 month old puppy who likes to dig. Ever since i bought one of those shell pools and a treat ball he has stopped entertaining himself by attempting to dig to china. I am yet to fill the other half of the pool with sand but he entertains himself in the water.

This is a very difficult problem i am sorry i can't offer any other suggestions...

P.s your pup is beautiful

Edited by SparkyTansy

Congratulations on a very lovely puppy, Guy is one of the most successful breeders of labradors in Australia ;)

If you can't increase the height of your fences all I can suggest is that you erect a dog run or maybe run an electric fence around. However there are heaps of people on DOL who have some very innovative ideas regarding escaping dogs so I'm sure someone will be able to help you :D

Thanks so much for your suggestions Miranda and sparky tansy, my fiance and i liked the electric fence idea and its within the relms of possibility. Also the sand pit idea i think is great and i will get one tomorrow. The kong stuff is unfortunatly at a loss to our little portia. She sniffed it and then walked away. But we buy new toys for her all the time so hopefully she wont get too bored. Thanks again for your advice i really appreciate it.

It's not impossible to create high fencing on a tight budget. Some 6ft star pickets, dog fencing and a bit of elbow grease may not look pretty, but they certainly do the job to increase the height of the fence to stop her jumping over.

Alternatively, she's not going to have a problem kept under the house, particularly if it is only 2 days a week. I'm assuming you're talking older style with the concreted area/garage underneath? If you're underhouse area is secure, has a comfy bed to curl up in, plenty of water in her bowl, a few toys, then she'll have no problems, and it's probably safer for her than roaming the yard without supervision. Personally I think it's a good option as you know she's secure, and there's a no chance of someone reaching over the fence and stealing her. Another option would be to fence in a verandah or pergola style area that she can stay in whilst she's unsupervised.

Good luck! :cry:

Wow she is beautiful. :cry:

To my experience, (20 years), labs are not fence jumpers. If they do you will find them waiting on the other side of the fence. I can only tell you my experience. I understand your worry though and she is still a puppy. Labs are puppies until they are 6 years old!! lol. Always a puppy though, their entire life. You must have had a real shock but I wouldn't worry too much. Labs do not tend to wonder. The only time one of mine did was following another dog. Alone, he was waiting at the front door.

Edited by Labsmum

Gees Guy might be surprised to learn that he is breeding GOLDEN labradors! :cry:

I think Portia might be a yellow.

Labsmum my labradors will escape at any chance they get. I fail to see how you can generalise that a breed doesn't like to jump fences when it all comes down to individual personality. Last time my labradors got out together they were found TWO KILOMETRES away across several main roads. That was four hours of hysterical searching on my part.

Rachelle I wouldn't leave that girl unsupervised in your yard until you have the fences fixed. Maybe extend the height of it by putting star pickets and chickenwire around the top. Good luck!

we have just finished building a pen for Jack using star pickets, dog fence and chicken wire. When it was first done he literally climbed over the fence, just sat his paws on the fence and pulled himself over! It has now been fixed and he is not able to get out, the funny thing is that the fence we share with our neighbour is half the size - also made out of dog fence and chicken wire and he has not once even attempted it! The only thing I can think of is that the fence has always been there, where the pen is something we have not long introduced.

Something else you could try is using lattice, as funds are a problem try your local tip, it may have a recycling shop where you can buy second hand stuff cheap.

I also have labs and mine do try to escape often!!! We don't live in town, so it isn't a huge issue, except for the fact they may pick up ticks. I have one that doesn't jump fences, but climbs them. I would definitely build the fence higher if possible and wouldn't leave her out when you are not around.

She is a beautiful pup!

I must be lucky guys :) Ramses will watch the gate open and not move a muscle. He knows he isnt allowed out unless i give him a command and given the chance he probably would but so far in the nearly 12 monthst i have had him...nothing! He has never got out ever, i dont know what i would do if he got out. When we went on holidays to nans with him, Pop got the 4WD out of the yard, he didnt tell anyone what he was doing and when i heard the gate close i though OH no he let Ramses out, but no pop said he just sat there and watch the truck roll by :)

He does dig and jump ON PEOPLE but not over fences.

I must be lucky guys :cheer: Ramses will watch the gate open and not move a muscle. He knows he isnt allowed out unless i give him a command....

Cody (yes, he's a GR but let's call him a really fluffy Lab) does that. He went through an escaping period when he was a pup but now he doesn't go through the gate unless he's been invited.