Martingale Collar On Pup

Gogee

Hi all,

We were at puppy preschool last night, and because Ramses our pharaoh hound pup was so excited he started straining at his buckle collar (on lead) to get out and play with the other little cuties.

I think he may have pulled a little too much because he started gasping and coughing up. I was afraid he would hurt himself.....so just wondering whether or not you would recommend using a martingale collar already for him?

Would I keep it on as just a general collar as well, even off lead? Are there any good makers of fancy lookin' martingales in Australia who ship interstate? (I'm in SA)

Thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

I was told you can leave a properly fitted martingale collar on as a general collar.

I had one fitted on my dog by a trainer and it was put on as tight as you would a flat collar so any pulling at all would tighten it.

I would suggest you talk directly to people experienced in the use of the collar though as to the suitability for your pup and the issue of leaving it on 24/7.

I use a martingale on my dog - I got it from K9 Force on this forum. I've used it on her since she was about 4 months. Its always been adjusted so I can JUST wriggle it over her head. I don't ever leave it on her unless she's on lead or at obedience, there's far too much stuff for her to get caught up in in the backyard or the back of the car etc.

I don't leave martingales on either, they're just for walks. I have a plain collar with their tags on them all the time though.

I buy my martingales from the USA because I haven't been able to find any I really like over here. Just ordered another one today actually :D

all my dogs and fosters wear martingales at all times with names tags attached.

the new fosters always pick up walking on them quickly, and learn not to "choke" themselves.

here is buster one of our foster doggies (we got his tag this week, so its not on in this old photo)

DSC03878.jpg

Edited by shmoo

Thanks for the info guys, I will investigate further and get help with fitting and whether I can leave it on all the time.

Just wondering also if the wider martingales help to stop sighthounds from choking/damaging their necks or windpipes?...I mean if they should pull while on lead. Also the buckle collar seems to crush or discolour Ramses's hair around his neck? I’m probably just being paranoid!

Any suggestions of any Aussie makers or nice martingales?

Cheers

Oh yeah just another older pic (bout a month ago) of Ramses and his bestest friend Lily :thumbsup:

post-12528-1168731233_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Your pup is gorgeous!!!

I would certainly be contacting Steve @ K9 Force http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=mart.html

His martinagle's are just wonderful! He fitted one for Rox when he was in Melbourne, and the quality is outstanding!!!

Not sure if I would leave it on 24/7 though, I think it would fall under the same category as a correction collar.... I would be way too scared she would catch it on something.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first post to DOL.

I have a question about the Martingale harness, and I was hoping some of you may have had some experience with them.

I have a Lurcher (greyhound/pharaoh houd cross). We like to take her to the beach for a good run (It's a dog safe area, and we're allowed to let her off the leash). She does tend to pull a bit when on the lead, and I think that the harness would help with that. However, I'm worried about the safety of letting her have a good run on the beach while wearing one. Obviously I wouldn't want her to run free without some means of 'collaring' her, or not having any tags on. Does anyone have any experience of the harness, and is it OK to leave it on her when she decides to 'go for it' (upwards of 50 to 60kph!!!)

(BTW, we always make sure that the beach is nearly empty before letting her run - don't want her getting a speeding ticket, or running someone down :rofl: )

If you are looking for a fancy martingale collar take a look at this link, they are hand made in Australia

http://home.alphalink.com.au/~mrwoof/

I bought a standard collar from them for my wolfhound, and am saving up to get a martingale for my greyhound (they are not really expensive, I am just poor :rofl: )

Here are some photos of Bree wearing her new collar

http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?...451&hl=bree

It is beautiful, but I don't leave it on all the time (as it is too pretty to get wrecked lol!)

Edited by daisy2002

Hey Daisy, thanks..Bree looks beautiful!

Luckily I have found that link too, and have just ordered a fancy martingale from MrWoof...should be here in the next couple of days. Very exciting, and I'm sure Ramses will look like the "King" he is! hehehe :rofl: - will post a pic when it gets here!

(we actually got a Blackdog one too and it's soooo sturdy and well made)

Hi, this is my first post to DOL.

I have a question about the Martingale harness, and I was hoping some of you may have had some experience with them.

I have a Lurcher (greyhound/pharaoh houd cross). We like to take her to the beach for a good run (It's a dog safe area, and we're allowed to let her off the leash). She does tend to pull a bit when on the lead, and I think that the harness would help with that. However, I'm worried about the safety of letting her have a good run on the beach while wearing one. Obviously I wouldn't want her to run free without some means of 'collaring' her, or not having any tags on. Does anyone have any experience of the harness, and is it OK to leave it on her when she decides to 'go for it' (upwards of 50 to 60kph!!!)

(BTW, we always make sure that the beach is nearly empty before letting her run - don't want her getting a speeding ticket, or running someone down :nahnah: )

I have a no-pull harness from Wiggles, Wags, & Whiskers ( link ) which is a harness with the loop like a martingale collar.

I use it on my greyhound since he has a permanent neck injury. I really like this harness and my boy doesn't seem to have any issues wearing it at all. The normal harness I had before would irritate the area behind his legs and they'd be red after he had it on (even if he only wore it for a short while) but we haven't had that problem since switching over.

I don't see why you couldn't leave it on her while she runs but you'd probably be best asking the person you buy the harness from. :bottom:

Edited by Katie w/greys