Vaccination Protocol

Jed

My dogs do NOT get vaccinated for KC. At a show last year there was a dog coughing all over the place and coughing up white foamy stuff on my tarp. I was told the next day by the owner it was KC and all their dogs had it, all their dogs were vaccinated for KC. One of my bitches coughed a few times the next day and that was it. Will that make me change my mind and start vaccinating for KC? Hell no!

My dogs do NOT get vaccinated for KC. At a show last year there was a dog coughing all over the place and coughing up white foamy stuff on my tarp. I was told the next day by the owner it was KC and all their dogs had it, all their dogs were vaccinated for KC. One of my bitches coughed a few times the next day and that was it. Will that make me change my mind and start vaccinating for KC? Hell no!

I hope for your dogs sake that they never develop a full blown case. :rainbowbridge:

My ACD was vaccinated for KC two weeks ago and now has developed KC. :)

Is it normal for this to happen? If it is, why would you get them done if they are going to get KC from the inoculation?

I got her titre tested for the others and it came up well above the immunity required. :) I must admit that I am seriously thinking of not getting her done for KC next year.

My ACD was vaccinated for KC two weeks ago and now has developed KC. :)

Is it normal for this to happen? If it is, why would you get them done if they are going to get KC from the inoculation?

I got her titre tested for the others and it came up well above the immunity required. :) I must admit that I am seriously thinking of not getting her done for KC next year.

i dont think it was the vac that caused your dog to get KC, it can take up to 12 days fro a dog to

show any symptoms he may have got it from another dog at the vet.

dogs can DIE from KC complications. i sure as hell am not going to take that chance with my dogs

The virus for kc acts in a similar fashion to the human influenza virus from my understanding.

There are numerous strands just like the flu and secondary complications can cause death, just like the flu, particularly in the aged, infirm and those with a weak immunity due to disease.

Therefore, as with humans being vaccinated against the flu, people will still have the potential to pick up the virus but the vaccination lessens the severity of many strains and stops other strains completely.

The virus for kc acts in a similar fashion to the human influenza virus from my understanding.

There are numerous strands just like the flu and secondary complications can cause death, just like the flu, particularly in the aged, infirm and those with a weak immunity due to disease.

Therefore, as with humans being vaccinated against the flu, people will still have the potential to pick up the virus but the vaccination lessens the severity of many strains and stops other strains completely.

spot on Puggles

at the bottom of your offical show entry form it says

i certify that this exhibit has not with in the said period of 3 mths been in kennels affected with distemper,

canine hep, pavo, or any other CONTAGIOUS or INFECTIOUS disease and that during

the last 12 mth prior to the date of this show the dog was vaccinated.

i would assume this includes KC

Edited by lea

We need to get the DPI or whoever is responsible for the laws in each state to allow at least a titre test as being a suitable replacement for a current vaccine.

Law? I wasn't aware that it was 'illegal' to not vaccinate your dog ............... I believe it is a policy of boarding kennel establishments to request current vaccination certificates and not a legal requirement? Or perhaps it is a legal requirement that they only accept vaccinated dogs?

Can someone clarify.

when oh gets home i will get him to find our COE, im not even sure who sets it or if it is law so to speak

I have been using this information since I saw it on DOL in 2004.

I printed out the information and showed it to my vets so now I only take them in for a yearly checkup and if a senior dog a 6 monthly checkup.

I had no problems with my vets when I did this.

I do know though it I am planning to take them to a kennel they will have to be done.

An interesting bit of information.

Godzilla has the most horrid skin condition and hot spots the size of 20cent pieces and allergies to just about everything. it started at about 3 months

Three years down the road since his last shot not one hot spot still has grass allergies though very mild, he is such a different dog.