Agility Dogs

Our obedience club held 2 agility and jumpers trials yesterday and I stewarded in the afternoon and had a really enjoyable day, and perfect weather too, the judge, fellow stewards and all the competitors really enjoyed the day. I stewarded in the masters ring (the top level) and was lucky to see some of the really experienced dogs in action. There was a good percentage of border collies there, but I saw some great performances from some other breeds that really made it more enjoyable, and thought some here might be interested in some of the breeds there that really did well. My favorite for the day was a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel - there was no mistaking how much this dog enjoyed itself, it is just a joy to watch and came 3rd in Jumpers which is quite an achievement. Not leaving out the border collies there was 1 absolutely amazing dog that won the jumpers competition and completed the 40 second course in 24 seconds. There was a Japanese Spitz that was great, a bull terrier cross??, and english springer spaniel and poodles of every size and in the rarer gundog department there was a Large Munsterlander, a Flat Coat Retriever and and Irish Red & White Setter, all did really well. I got there just in time for the presentations for the morning trial, and best in trial for the morning was a very popular win - a little papillion. Having started agility a few weeks ago myself, I was glad so glad to see all these other breeds, as at the club a couple of weeks ago doing the agility lesson the dogs were all lined up, and mine was the odd one out - every other dog there was a border collie.

I own a Kelpie x Border Collie and am interested in agility - one of the clubs I train at has some equipment and she loves it! The only thing holding me back from joining an agility club is that I am still fixing a dog aggression problem with her and she sometimes still flares up at other dogs. Would that be a problem in agility? Should I wait until I have totally fixed it (as much as possible?) Since they compete off lead I have been unsure as I am worried she would decide that instead of listening she would pick a fight.

Guest Silken'smum

Lia,

You could try strarting with a club and work your dog on lead to begin with. The ontrolled exposure to the other dogs may well speed your solving of the problem. I would talk to the club re their agression policy, maybe a muzzle will be needed at the start of foo lead work. In competition, the dog runs the course alone, so it is really at training that you might have problrms. Have a look at the ADAA ( Agility Dog Association of Australia) to find a club, they use positive reinforcement training methods and run six week beginners courses- a great way start the sport!

Good Luck

Lia,

Even in obediece trialls, aggressive dogs pose a problem if they show aggression or bite someone or another dog. The dangers with agility is it is off lead, but in saying that the prelim stuff is all on lead, and at my club, we dont let more than one dog on the course at any one time. Ideally it would be better if you solved your aggression problems. However, if you are a confident handler, and jump the dog before it jumps someone else, you are well on your way.

If you are based in BRisbane, I would recommend TLC trainers. They use positive methods to train their dogs and they are canine behaviourists to boot.

I have a dominate male dobermann, I just have to be on the ball with him at all times. I have not done agility with him, but obedience trials. You just have to know when he is sizing up another dog and correct it immediately. But in the scale of things, hes not aggressive so to speak, male dominate, something I know I just have to work on and its part of my dog. (No off leash parks for this boy)

Thanks for the advice. I had her boarded at a training centre where I know the trainers and she is now fine with them around other dogs, but still plays up with me. I don't think the problem will ever be totally fixed, she is never going to be 100% friendly (also no off lead parks for her - unfortunately, she'd love to run! She does come back, though, it's only other dogs I'm worried about). At the moment I can walk her up to another dog, and might get a growl out of her, but she stops after a verbal correction most of the time, and if not she stops after a physical correction, and has a sniff and leaves. Some dogs she likes and wants to play with, but others she growls at. Her recall is really good, so I'm hoping that will be the saving grace in any offlead stuff I do - so if she takes off after another dog I can call her back. I'm still a bit nervous about it though, especially what the club will think of me because my dog is aggressive towards other dogs. Will they allow me to compete?

• 2 weeks later...

I am nearly half way through my first eight week course, even though we have dabbled in the past, and it is all done on-lead. Why not do a course and see if both yourself and your dog naturally likes it. I would be wary that when doing agility the dog gets a lot more excited than normal obedience and therefore may get slightly more aggressive when all hyped up. Some dogs when doing their agility course bark a lot which may also get her hyped up. Why not try the eight week course, even if you feel safer using a muzzle and see how it goes

• 1 month later...
Guest Hannah

I have a 12 month old English Springer Spaniel and I am interested in Agility Traning. Everyday we play in the back yard with jumps and tunnels and he really enjjoys it is my dog to old to start training at a club and can somebody please tell me some more information about the levels in agility

Thankyou :)

Most agility clubs have a minimum age of of 12 months and the only maximum is when your dog is too old to handle it. I have a 12 year old dog who would probably love to do agility (she loves jumping, and I have a tunnel and tire set up at home) but I have not done classes with her. Your Springer sounds like he should enjoy it, have fun!

Guest Myfanwy

Lia, we have quite a number of dog aggressive dogs (ones that are considerably worse than yours sound) at our club and no-one thinks any less of the owner. As long as your dog has excellent recall then the problem should be manageable. I had a few issues with my girl and sorted them out via obedience classes before beginning agility, which could be the way for you to go. You can then ensure you have control over your dog in a controlled setting before exposing her to the excitement of agility. Some people who have joined have found the problem to be too much, but at least they know that they tried.

We have a rule that dog aggressive dogs wear a blue ribbon on their collar so that people will not allow their dog to approach yours.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pollicle

I have a sheltie who I show and do canine freestyle with and I'm wondering about doing agility but there is a long waiting list and the classes are held on a night which I am busy.

Well, that's it! I'm doing some serious work with Zoe to work on her dog aggression problem so that hopefully (cross fingers) I can control it enough to do agility (have been working on it for a while - some progress!). I don't expect her to be one of those dogs that loves other dogs (or that I will ever be able to let her off lead at a dog park), but enough so that we can participate without dramas. It would be a pity to waste all her talent and enthusiasm because of her dog aggression. (she LOVES jumping, tunnels, A-frame and now likes teeter-totter - at the obedience club they have some equipment). If it doesn't work, at least I tried! She is definitely a high maintenance dog.

Hi. Steve - Canine Freestyle is also known as dancing with dogs - the dogs learn some very precise movements, and can do some amazing stuff.

Lia, there are some dogs that do agility that are not sociable with other dogs and as they compete in the ring by themselves it is not a problem, but these are dogs that although they are not sociable will not go out of their way to go off and pick a fight with other dogs. As long as your dog will stay with you rather than chasing other dogs I can't see it being a huge problem unless you go to a club to train where you are close to a lot of dogs in the class.

I am glad to say that only after a couple of months training we entered a beginners jumping trial and came 4th - no course faults but plenty of time faults, until I did it I had no idea of how quickly you need to get around that course - no time to look around if you get lost either champagne.gif

bella.jpg

[ 26-07-2002, 07:28 PM: Message edited by: helen ]

Guest Pollicle

Canine freestyle is a choreographed peformance set to music. It includes standard obedience moves but it also includes non-standard movements such as backing (walking backwards), spinning sidestepping, weaving etc. I guess you could call it dancing with dogs.

• 2 years later...

Helen, I am very interested in your report, particularly about the Japanese Spitz. I have a JS competing in Agility. We have our jumping title and one pass in agility. He can do everything quite well when he chooses. I know this is typical of the breek but can be frustrating. My main problem is speed. I know we will never get a pass in open jumping - he can do a fault free course but is way over time. I try to keep training short and fun. I would love to know the secret.

Lia,

My honest opinion as a handler, competitor & instructor is that it depends on the dog and it's motivations. We have some dogs with aggression problems at our club who are managed quite well, and a couple who are not. I think that if a problem dog is trained to a high enough level of motivation in agility that it is extremely rare for that dog to leave a course to get to other dogs. Not all dogs can be or are trained to this level. It also depends on the extent of the problem. Many problem dogs just need to be managed while waiting to run. Problem is, as I'm sure you know, is that relies on everyone controlling their dogs, so that no uninvited approaches are made.

Personally I would be very uncomfortable if there was a dog at a trial who was aggressive and was not completely motivated by the course. I would also be uncomfortable if this dogs usual intention was to rip another dogs apart, rather than confront it.

Zoe is fine while on the course - very motivated to do agility, and would rather work than be aggressive. She does not leave the course to get other dogs. The problem is managing her while waiting for our run. Other people with friendly dogs sometimes do not have the same control over their dog, and we have had many come into our face and we have gotten into trouble when it was not our fault. When more than one person was running on different equipment, we have had dogs run off their equipment and cause the confrontation with Zoe, and I got into trouble.

I have considered going to a quieter club (The Agility Dog Club of NSW has waaay to many dogs for me to consider going there again). I also found the instructors had no idea of how to manage our problem, I got some ridiculous suggestions such as let go of the lead!

On the whole I am thinking it is just way too stressful, and think I will give it a miss until I get a dog that is dog friendly and suitable for agility. Diesel, while friendly, is not an ideal agility dog, I will probably get another kelpie or a Malinois. My other option is to go to a quieter club and muzzle her (at least that will prevent her from hurting anyone and people will keep their dogs away!)

It is a pity because she is really good and enjoys it.

Clicking Mad: Not sure about everywhere else but there is a Dallie at our club who is getting into trial shape soon, very very fast dog i personally think its great to see a Dallie as i got told by alot of people they cant be trained :rolleyes: same with the Cockers i guess cant be trained pfft :cool:

Natasha

I did agility for about 2 years with my Dobe X and mum did it with her Shih Tzu X.

Miss Timothy (Dobe) LOVED it. She was rescue dog and has spent most of her life being timid. But doing agility with her (started her around 5 yrs old) got her confidence up so much. I never thought she would go through an open tunnel, let alone the closed one- but once she worked them out, she would pull to run through. She picked up all the equipment within a few months, and was a total star with the Weaves (both right & left, too). Even loved the see-saw once she worked it out- even now, if we go to a playgroung she will climb on see-saws lol.

She would ahve made a fantastic competition dog except for one thing- her recall. It was and still is non-existant. We have tried EVERYTHING but she's just not interested in recall. So we did about 2 yrs of on-lead work (and occasionally had a go off-lead but there was no way I would take her in a ring). Sadly we had to give that up with her as she got attacked by another dog and it tore a muscle in her hind leg. It is ok now but too much strain gives her a limp. She's 9 yrs old now as well and has arthritis, etc so I wont have her jumping and leaping around.

She also has dog-agression and I wouldn't put it past her to run out during a run and have a go at another dog :rolleyes:

Rascall, mum's Shih, had fun at agility (he has awful dog-agression and we actually muzzeled him at training), but he is the sort of dog who will do soemthing once then say "Nup. Don't wanna do it again". First time on every peice of equipment for the night of training was fine, he would do it no worries. Then no more lol.

So we haven't been for about 2 years but shortly will be starting up with the Kelpie and Caber will hopefully be doing it once he's old enough (just turned 7 months).

i have a tyre, some bar jumps, a solid jump, an open tunnel, a broad jump and a table set up in the yard and Iko, the Kelpie, is learning it all very well. And thankfully, she has a recall :cool:

'Cos caber is so little, I have been doing tunnel, low jumps (like ones he can walk over), flat table on the ground & the tyre so low he can walk through- so he learns all the peices of equipment by name.

Both these kids love it.