Can Anyone Recommend A Very Talented Dog Groomer In The Hornsby Area?

Stormy

I have a Chinese Crested or Powder Puff male that's really scraping the bottom of the barrel in the looks department..... :rofl: Due to an eye and nose infection (which he's currently being treated for) the fur on his face needs to be clipped back, and the fact that he manages to wee on the feathering on his front legs ;) means I've decided that it's probably in his best interest to be clipped all over. This boy also has a huge bald spot across his head (naturally occuring ie like a Cresty) :p

Can anyone recommend someone "talented" that could possibly transform Uncle Fester into Keanu Reeves .....? Someone close to Hornsby would be preferable :)

Oh, I should add that he's a rescue (not ours) in dire need of a "make over" to enhance his adoption chances...... :laugh:

Edited by Stormy

Don't know if the camera will survive........... ;)

Don't say you weren't warned.............

Smiling for the camera :eek:

Fester1.jpg

Side shot

Fester.jpg

Should have called him "Monk" :laugh:

Fester2.jpg

And as a comparison, a REAL Cresty :rofl::) :p :p :rofl:

HalloweenNemo.jpg

......... :rofl::):rofl:

Edited by Stormy

I don't think the bald patch on his head has anything to do with him being a Chinese Crested, It is not normal for one.

I think clipping him all over probably won't enhance his chances, but a good bath and some work to remove the staining on his legs would.

By all means clip his face.

Where is this poor little mite?

I don't think the bald patch on his head has anything to do with him being a Chinese Crested, It is not normal for one.

I think clipping him all over probably won't enhance his chances, but a good bath and some work to remove the staining on his legs would.

By all means clip his face.

Where is this poor little mite?

He's been bathed twice so far in the last six days, as he just stinks of urine :laugh:

Re the balding, as such, is permanent (he's been to the vets for a check up) True it's not quite like a crested ;) ......but he has a VERY thin coat all over..... I've never seen a Powder Puff in the flesh, so maybe he's one instead.

I figured by giving him a new "do" he'd look a lot tidier and would help keep his legs and face clean.

He's currently with us till his eyes and nose clear up, then he's got a seat on tpt to his rescue group, then on, hopefully, to his forever home.

Edited by Stormy

He's been bathed twice so far in the last six days, as he just stinks of urine :laugh:

Re the balding, as such, is permanent (he's been to the vets for a check up) True it's not quite like a crested ;) ......but he has a VERY thin coat all over..... I've never seen a Powder Puff in the flesh, so maybe he's one instead.

I figured by giving him a new "do" he'd look a lot tidier and would help keep his legs and face clean.

He's currently with us till his eyes and nose clear up, then he's got a seat on tpt to his rescue group, then on, hopefully, to his forever home.

If he is sparsely coated all over, he could well be a hairy hairless, that is he is genetically hairless but is very hairy.

What is his dentition like? Doe he have a "normal looking mouth" or does he have strange looking teeth and forward pointing canines? Powderpuffs have normal dog dentition, hairless have "odd" teeth.

He's been bathed twice so far in the last six days, as he just stinks of urine :rofl:

If he is sparsely coated all over, he could well be a hairy hairless, that is he is genetically hairless but is very hairy.

What is his dentition like? Doe he have a "normal looking mouth" or does he have strange looking teeth and forward pointing canines? Powderpuffs have normal dog dentition, hairless have "odd" teeth.

Uncle Fester would be lucky to have eight teeth in his mouth :laugh: They look like baby teeth, but at around five years old, aren't.

Seriously though I would love a recommendation for a good groomer because this boy is getting done. So far my only option is my local vets, who just use a straight blade (can't remember what number) all over, nothing techinical, but I would really prefer to have him done in the nicest possible fashion.

There is a lady at Hornsby Heights called Jenny Eade Dog grooming ph: 9476 6200. I have never used her but heard she is good. There is also Designer Dogs in Waitara ph:9487 4267.

I use Pawfect Pets in St Ives, for my Cavalier, and i find her great.ph: 9449 5782 There is a lady called Pamela Tilbrook, who is mobile and i think she is from Thornleigh

If you simply clip this dog off all over and he is sparsley coated he may well end up simply looking like he has a skin problem, and he will look no better.

Have you contacted any Chinese Crested people in your area about this dog, one of them may be able to help you.

I am too far away.

Thanks all for the replies :cry:

CavsRcute & morgan - I will try the places you've given me :thumbsup:

Shmoo - Thanks for your kind offer :cry: I'll see how I go locally and let you know. I don't know what he's like to clip as he's just out of Renbury and I'm not sure if he's ever been done in the past :o

Nadia -

If you simply clip this dog off all over and he is sparsley coated he may well end up simply looking like he has a skin problem, and he will look no better.

Have you contacted any Chinese Crested people in your area about this dog, one of them may be able to help you.

I am too far away.

Which is why I want to take him to a proper groomer :cry: He's straight out of Renbury and wasn't chipped. From what I can gather all breeders worth their salt, chip their dogs before going to theirr new homes. So all I can guess is that he didn't come from a registered breeder. He also could quite possible be a X. At our local PP they have had in the past month a couple of Chinese Crested (hairless) x Malteses and Cresty X Shih Tzus - which, to varying degrees, looked like crested...... :)

The lady who runs the rescue group that is taking him has Chinese cresteds (Hariless and powder puffs) so I know he'll be going into good hands :worship:

The mutant above, that has the reindeer ears, is ours (Nemo) :cry: which is why I figured that Uncle Fester may be able to improve his looks with a better cut.

Hesapandabear - I'll send her a Pm and see what area she covers, Thanks :mad

Stormy, feel free to give me a call. My mobile biz is on the northern beaches, but i live in willoughby, if you can bring him over on saturday afternoon, i will do my best with him.

Will pm you my mobile

Of course, no charge - i am a big time sucker for a rescue.

dogmad - thought he might have been right up your alley :thumbsup:

Peachie - Thanks for your very kind offer, but I'm hoping to get him done today or tomorrow as his eyes and nose are just getting really gunky (he's on meds but it's just taking a while) and the fur is sticking in his eyes / nose :cry: Even though he's a rescue I would still like to pay :worship:

I will try the local groomers and see how we go, or should I say I'll post the results :)

Stormy, how did you get on?

On another note about chinese cresteds, i was listening to Nova this arvo on my way home, and they had a competition for aust's ugliest dog. (not the best thing for radio, but hey, apparently you can see him on the website - i havent looked yet)

The winner was a chinese crested - they thought he looked more like a pig than a dog. The owner won a glamour photo shoot for the dog.

I think the worlds ugliest dog who died last year (sam i think) was also a chinese crested.

What is it with these people who think dogs who look different are ugly - cant tell you the number of times i have had people say my dogs (greyhounds) were very nice "but i have always thought they were quite ugly.