What My Vet Said About Fleas

ruthless

Animalsluvbree - I think that has to be the best post I have ever read couldn't say it better myself!! :thumbsup:

Fontline DOES work it's just you have a bigger flea problem than you think.

ALL fleas which jump on your dog will die,but the dog is constantly being re-infested.

You need to spray your entire house ALL rooms,anywhere the dog goes even the garage,block off any access under the house.

To have total coverage use FRONTLINE in conjuction with PERMOXIN and always wash your dog in a soap free,ph balanced shampoo and conditioner eg Aloveen or Natural by dermcare.

eta- you also need to treat EVERY animal in your house including the cat or rabbit at the same time!!

Edited by sheree_e4

• 3 weeks later...

I think my poor puppy caught fleas from one of the other dogs at puppy school over the weekend. I've put Revolution on her this morning and am planning to wash all her bedding tomorrow. Should I also buy some Capstar? Is it okay to use if I've already put Revolution on her?

What's can I do to stop her from getting MORE fleas from puppy school in coming weekends?

I think my poor puppy caught fleas from one of the other dogs at puppy school over the weekend. I've put Revolution on her this morning and am planning to wash all her bedding tomorrow. Should I also buy some Capstar? Is it okay to use if I've already put Revolution on her?

What's can I do to stop her from getting MORE fleas from puppy school in coming weekends?

JMO but I would use "frontline" and then spray with "permoxin" before going to class, as the permoxin will repel the fleas,this combination is safe.

I don't like giving my dogs tablets due to the effect they can have on the liver long term,with the "frontline" and "permoxin" it adhears to the fur so does not enter the bloodstream at all.

The other problem with tablets is the fleas have to bite the dog to die,where as the spray or top spot the flea dies by simply jumping on.

• 3 months later...

I have an old home remedy book that say's 1 tablespoon of APPLE CIDAR VINIGAR in the meal once a day is supposed to repel flea's, mite, tick's and any other crawly's. I tried it on my dog but he refused to eat. But some of my customer's said it really does work. I personally use ADVANTIX as we live near the beach with mangroves so we have lot's of mosquito's and sandflies, but advantix stop's all them also aswell as flea's. :thumbsup:

Hi, We visited the vet recently and she said there is a flea plague at present. We haven't seen any fleas on our dogs but they're scratching. The vet said to use Frontline every 2 weeks through summer. (expensive when I haven't even seen one or even flea-dirt). I reckon the scratching is allergy - but was interested to hear about the plague

• 4 weeks later...

Ok have read this pinned thread about 4 times now.

Fleas BAAAAD here, especially since our neighbour got majorly infested... (terrace houses, grrr).

I give my dog Revolution but it hasnt worked this month, the poor thing has scratched all the fur off the top of her head she is so tormented.

In the hopes of a natural solution I tried garlic in the food- no change.

I also tried Erny's lemon/rosemary infusion- no change except it actually made the dog's coat quite dull and tacky feeling.

So got some capstar- works great but after a couple of days fleas are back on her so i have to readminister.

My question is: How long is the capstar actually sposed to work for? Can you give more than one packet?

Off to the vets this week to get the poor dogs head seen to. Sooo over these little bloodsuckers... they have cost me so much money.

Edited by deelee2

Firstly if you have any other pets they must be treated too.

I think in you situation you will do well if you get your dog onto PROGRAM it is a tablet admininsered with food once a month and what it does is make the fleas sterile - basically your dog becomes a walking environmental control,you should also spray her with Frontline spray every month or Permoxin once a week,to kill the adult fleas - eventually you will have no fleas provided you treat you dog year round.(DO NOT put permoxin on cats)

PROGRAM does not kill adult fleas.

Garlic does nothing to stop fleas.

you will need to spray your house - KO tabs are great you can get them HERE

• 2 weeks later...

We had a problem when we moved house. We were doing all the stuff we had done in the old house and we were still finding fleas. It turned out the neighbours garden was infested. OH offered to spray her lawn with Permoxin, it's been 100% better since. I know it's not your responsibility to do your neighbours garden, but it might help?

My old dog was a walking flea farm. no matter what we ever did for him, he would be covered, but this week the new treatment we have him on is finally working! i got Advocate for both our dogs and it worked. he has no fleas, no eggs, nothing. i dont think he can believe it. he is usally scratching all the time, but now he has nothing to do! so i recommend it. and our yard is filled with fleas. i washed all their blankets with normal clothes washing stuff and a bit of tea tree oil added in. worked a treat.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a major flea infestation that we got when a friend bought her cat over to us for the night - while we were lucky enough not to get them on Zero (no idea why, but we've been told by a vet tech that because huskies have very dense coats, fleas find it hard to get to the skin - correct me if this is total crap!) but our cat got them terribly! In the end we managed to flea bomb the house (lots of chemicals but worth it!!) and then we used advantage on the cat and dog and even sprayed the birds with mite and lice spray just to be sure, followed by vaccuming the whole house with an industrial vaccum. We advantage once a month - and had planned to bomb the house every six weeks for 4 months to be sure but after doing it once the fleas haven't shown themselves again so we'll do it again when summer hits and hope that they don't come back. I've also heard that a spray called "quit nits" (which is all natural and you can get it from coles - and it's made by a Western Australian company *whoot*) also helps to repel them - and makes your dog smell good (the main ingredient i think is rosewater?). I'm going to get some and try it when we go to the dog park - after what happened with the cat i'm very careful now!

I am using sentinal spectrum monthly,i am capstarring almost fortnightly,and spray the yard and dogs with permoxin...still we have fleas!!!

Hmmm the fleas have become a problem since the neighbours got a cat,...wonder if this might be the cause?

My vet has put me onto a product that I will be using over the weekend .. its called K-O by Bayer..

Will let you know if i have any success

ETA didnt read Sherees post.. I am even keener now to see how this works out

Edited by Lewis & Lyn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been discussed else where but has any one here who has used frontline in the past noticed that it's not as effective any more? I was using it religiously with my cats. When one of them was asked to be a blood donar at our vets, after I took him in the vet rang me saying that he is absolutely covered in enormous adult fleas. This treatment was due in a few days but they'd been on him for a while. I frontlined him again when he came home and in a week I was still finding lively adult fleas! So then I put advocate on him and now they are gone. I told my friend who is a vet nurse in America and she said that frontline was no longer working for her mum's cats in America!

Anyone had the same results?

We did not have fleas here for over 25 years - but got them this year.

I already had two shampoos - so just washed her in Maleseb, rinsed with some vinegar in the water, added a flea collar from the supermarket, washed all the bedding, vacuumed and mopped the floors (she only goes on the hard floors anyway) hosed the pathways. Put flea collars on the two cats and washed their bedding.

And that was it.

I just got them another round of flea collars - just to be sure.

In the meantime, we have saved 25 years worth of "flea prevention".

Sometimes it might seem to work - but who knows - a lot of the time there probably aren't any fleas for it to work on anyway. :)

• 1 month later...

When we lived in Sydney my dog went through a stage of getting fleas all the time. Turned out it was the possums. My dog, a working cocker spaniel, was on Frontline every 2 weeks but this didn't help. What we do now is switch him between Frontline and Advantix in 6 month intervals, applying every 2 weeks during the warmer months and every 4 weeks when it's colder. We also got a load of those Flea bombs from the supermarket and let them off in the house, garage, and in the garden. What I found helpful to kill the fleas on him straight away were those tablets that they can take orally but I can't remember the name of them. Oh, and we also got some Poss Off to get the possums out of the garden.

Hi,

We found 2 fleas on Angel this morn. She's been scratching like crazy for the last week but we didn't know why till today. She's scratched herself raw in places. I rang the vets and they said to wash all the dogs tonight with their normal shampoo and treat with spray on frontline tomorrow or the next day and wash all their bedding and hoover the house. I told him she gets Sentinel at the start of every month and he said that's not enough as it only sterilizes the eggs. He said we should use that and topical Advantage. Either all year round, but especially in the hotter months.

We're in Sydney and they don't hang out with other dogs very often, so I don't know where they could've come from. What's everyone elses flea routine?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am use advocate on saxon for flees and have never had a problem.

Soon i will be moving to a high tick area and i have the preventic collar but the only problem i have is that when i am at work saxon will be in the yard, and i worry that if it rains and he does love running around in it, i will have to constantly change them.

Does anyone know if you can use advocate and proban together. Atleast then i know he is being protected when i give him the tablets.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all i was told by a vet that to help rid fleas from your dog was to feed garlick in the dogs food once a week the fleas hate garlick .

Didnt work for me.

So far nothing except Capstar has worked, but I need to use it far too regularly for my liking- though the vet says this is not a problem.

Sydney has a BIG flea problem these days apparently.

Being Winter now, I thought we would have less trouble but we still have them. ;) I am giving up on Revolution- it has been a massive waste of time and money.

Trying Advocate next, seems to have the most recommendations. Crossing fingers- I am not looking forward to summer otherwise.