Best Dry Food For Pup.

quesada

I have a staghound x pup (rescue boy), approx. 14 wks old. He has been regularly wormed since rescue. I have been feeding him Supercoat Puppy dry feed, also some beef mince and raw chicken drumsticks/wings. He has put on weight since I got him and nearly has a nice cover over his ribs now.

His main diet is the Supercoat Puppy which I basically feed adlib, it is always available to him.

I have noticed that his droppings have been becoming increasingly more sloppy, most still semi-formed but a few cowpats here and there too.

Is it possible that the Supercoat could be causing the sloppier poops? Any recommendations for another possibly more suitable food?

Thanks from me and Casper. :eek:

People have recommended me Science Diet.

I'm going to use it on my pup. I think most vets would recommend Eukanuba or Science Diet, but I don't know what DOLers have to say about this.

Sorry I couldn't of been of more help,

Mak.

If you do a search in these forums on supercoat you will find many a thread about sloppy poos :eek:

We wouldnt feed Science Diet as its first ingredients are usually grains such as corn.

Dont know of any vet clinic that doesn't recommend Science Diet or Eukanuba, BUT what do they know about the dry products?.

As an example we know of someone who's dog had an intolerance to wheat and they were told not to feed Nutro, BUT Nutro does NOT contain wheat- GO FIGURE

When we look for a dry food we look at the super premiums, sure they cost more, but you feed a lot less.

When selecting a food we then look at the ingredients list and the guaranteed analysis. We avoid corn, maize, wheat, animal by-products, chemical preservatives, added colourants and added salt.

Personally we feed Nutro Natural Choice, which we have been doing for some 6.5 years and all our litters have beed raised on Nutro.

Considering your boy is a large breed, you would be best to feed him a food that is specifically designed for large breeds.

All the pet supply places stock the good quality foods such as Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Advance and several others. Supercoat and other supermarket brands are not the best quality. I'd be careful woith the chicken drumsticks as well.... frames would be better. I have heard the larger weightbearing bones in poultry can be a problem.

Have you spoken to your vet about an appropriate diet for him?

Xavier, he has an appointment on Tues for a vacc booster, so will talk to the vet then about his diet. Thanks for the info, will go with the chicken frames instead.

I feed our staffy (she's now 13 weeks old) 'advance puppy growth' she loves it and has been doing very well on it...

Speak to the vet, just be carefull if they have nothing good to say about brands they don't sell... My vet doesn't sell Advance, when I told him that is what she's on he said great - if she gets sick of it try these 2 - which were the science diet and the eukanuba (sp?) that they sell... Apart from the advance all she's been having is Brisket bones and an egg every now and then...

This is a topic alot of people will fight over.

It comes down to what works best for your dog

My vet has told my father, and tried to tell me, that the dogs are fine to eat Chum dry and wet food :thumbsup: I have had a few fights with him over food.

I have My Bull Terrier on Nurto, as well as my Staffy

My BT is doing great on it, his coat is healthy, he had a lot of skin problems. I put my staffy on the proformance one, but wont be buying another bag of it, It is good food, but i had no change in her at all.

I had her on Super coat before, she did great, and i had no trouble with poops from her either. So she might go back on that (still thinkingabout that!)

Good luck working out what is best for your dog!

i feed Super coat its great! my pup is doing well on it and so are my others.

oh and my pup has never got sloppy poos on it! 2 out of my 3 staffy breeders have suggestioned it.

Edited by kayangel

What works for one dog may not work for another.

I have tried my dogs on just about every dry available from the cheap supermarket brands to super premium ones. The only food that all of mine will eat is Nutro. They are all doing great on it and are in the best condition they have ever been in. I am feeding my 11 week old pup on it and at this stage it would take a lot for me to change to another brand.

• 2 weeks later...

I feed mine Nutro.

Have tried science diet, but was not 100% happy, so i switched.

I am going to try Dick Van Patens Natural Organic. I have had some samples and my guys loved it.

Along with the Nutro they get mince and yoghurt.

For breakky they have a chicken frame.

I haev a new pup whi is a larger breed and her breeder reccomended eother Nutro or Royal Canin.

But becuase my other 2 are on the Nutro so is she.

THey all have very shiny coats, nice small adn firm poo, no runny yukky poo. They have no skin issues.

But as it has been said, everyone has a different opinion.

If supercoat is not working for you any more and you don't want to buy an 'expensive' brand, althoug it does last longer than the cheaper stuff as you feed less, then mabe try a better quality cheaper food.

Try science diet, a better food but not too expensive.