Best Clippers For Home Grooming My Mini Schnauzer?

kiki

I have purchased a helpful dvd on how to home groom your mini schnauzer and I think I am now ready to try it myself!

I have been looking for a good pair of clippers....however after all my research I am still so confused! I am thinking about wahl KM2 2 speed or andis... Any advice from other home groomers would be helpful! :eek:

Both the Wahl KM and the Andis AGC2 are quality clippers and would be the models I suggest. The Wahl is lighter but is vented which allows hair to enter the machine, whereas the Andis is slightly heavier but is a sealed unit thus less maintenance. PM me if you want any additional information.

hi, im a groomer and here is some advice. go to a professional.

watching a DVD does not mean you will know how to use clippers and avoid slicing open your dog.

Great advice shmoo. ;)

I use Andis AGC 2 speed, which is very quiet. I have used other brands but prefer Andis.

watching a DVD does not mean you will know how to use clippers and avoid slicing open your dog.

Ones ability to clip is related to a number of factors as some people will pick up the skill naturally and have confidence to tackle new tasks. The risk of cutting an animal is not great if you use the correct blades and seek advice. We all have to start somewhere. I encourage Kiki to have a go as it sounds if she has researched the task and is asking for advice on DOL.

Its true that u really need to see something in real life. I try to study the after effects of a groomed dog as groomers around my area don't allow owners to go in and watch but failed at the technique part. I understand that because most dogs are less controllable in that situation with the presence of the owner.

I got an Andis Super AGR+ which has both cordless and corded operation.

64800LG.jpg

The cheaper deal is the blue colour Powergroom which comes with the cord.

63970LG.jpg

Both are the same item and are faster in battery (contrary to what the website mention about the RPM) and comes with a ceramic blade 40.

I like the cordless operation because they are faster and gives us home groomer more flexibility in handling them since there is no wire and u can bring your grooming table and clipper anywhere U and your dog feel more comfortable be it at the yard, near windows, air-con room etc. Also the limited battery life (1 hour or 45 mins) prevents us from getting carried away with extended clipping time which is the number 1 mistake learners made at home. I usually start off with the cordless first and train myself to finish everything before the battery goes off. It just acts as a reminder but usually I'm done way before that. If I needed more time, the cord comes into the picture.

One down part about the battery is it can be heavy if you are not strong with your forearms and grips. Because I want flexibility over extended power, I'm happy with just 2 model to decide since Andis only have these 2 for selection.

Oh, for whatever clipper u use, either get same extra blades that u will be using or get a coolant spray to cool them off. At 4500 rpm, it really heats up fast!

Ones ability to clip is related to a number of factors as some people will pick up the skill naturally and have confidence to tackle new tasks. The risk of cutting an animal is not great if you use the correct blades and seek advice. We all have to start somewhere. I encourage Kiki to have a go as it sounds if she has researched the task and is asking for advice on DOL.

I am also a groomer and would still advise Kiki to get some professional help to start off -maybe watch the groomer for a few times, and pick up some professional hints before attempting her own dog.

I am also a groomer and would still advise Kiki to get some professional help to start off -maybe watch the groomer for a few times, and pick up some professional hints before attempting her own dog.

and while some pick up the skill naturally, some also fail and i have seen some of the worst that owners have done to their own dogs. The risk of cutting a dog is greatly improved when the person handling the tools doesn't know how to use them properly.

being a groomer is a TRAINED profession. it takes years of skill and understanding of a dogs coat. its not something a pet owner can learn by watching a DVD.

Kiki is welcome to have a go. but seek the expertise of a professional in real life. ask to be shown how to handle the clippers and handle the dog in real life.

As a groomer & schnauzer breeder i suggest you get the dog groomed professionally before you start clipping.Then clip the dog regurlary whilst you have an outline.

The most important part with groooming is unless your going to do the whole package(nails,plucking ears) then your better to get it done.

Schnauzers arent easy to master & a DVD depending on who has done it could be teaching you how to trim a mini wrong.

Contact the schnauzer club or your breeder who will be able to get grooming charts for you.

For a schnauzer you will need a #7,#10 or #15,#40 for ears plus your ear pluckers..

I agree with schmoo we also see the worst in home trained dogs so if your dog isnt great with grooming then think twice as it can be dangerous for dog & clippers if inexperienced.

Malsam what do you mean by study the after effects & failed in the technique part??

I hope your study encomapsses the poor condidtion most dogs come in & the fact groomers have to do the dirty,painful work that makes grooming a displeasurable experience for some dogs

Some nice products here. Hmm... as a devotee of the "crew cut" may I recommend products by the company "Wahl" - German quality that will last a lifetime with proper maintenence. They make a battery powered beard trimmer which is perfect form small touch ups just before showtime, and the AC powered device has all the "bells and whistles" and you can go to town on your dogs. Quiet too so if you're trimming you won't disturb anyone. ;)

and while some pick up the skill naturally, some also fail and i have seen some of the worst that owners have done to their own dogs. The risk of cutting a dog is greatly improved when the person handling the tools doesn't know how to use them properly.

being a groomer is a TRAINED profession. it takes years of skill and understanding of a dogs coat. its not something a pet owner can learn by watching a DVD.

Kiki is welcome to have a go. but seek the expertise of a professional in real life. ask to be shown how to handle the clippers and handle the dog in real life.

Hi Shmoo,

Totally agree. I am a schnauzer groomer only - some of my clients occasionally clip their own dogs, but always bring them to me for the lines to follow, furnishings, nails and ears.

Kiki, if you do your own dog, keep feeling your blade and make sure it does not get hot as you can give the dog clipper burn.

Good luck.

I am both a groomer and schnauzer breeder/exhibitor.

However, I was shown once by the breeder of one of my early dogs, how to clip the breed and then I was on my own for future clips. I have never had an accident with the clippers or scissors, all it takes is a bit of care and attention to what you are doing. I have been grooming my own dogs for :laugh: nearly 20 years now and it was several years after that I trained to groom other breeds.

If you have an untrimmed puppy then I would recommend you get her trimmed professionally the first time or two as they aren't the easiest to learn on. If an older dog, ask the groomer to talk you through the technique when you collect your dog, if they won't let you watch.

Good luck!

Hi Kiki,

I am a 'home groomer' (hides from Shmoo :laugh: ). I use the Andis two speed clippers and love them as they are easy to hold and fully sealed. One difference that I've noticed (from my old clippers - Thrive ones) is that the blades heat up more quickly, so you need to keep checking that they are not too hot, and stop for a break (or change blades) when they do heat up.

I've found the most tricky (read - dangerous) areas are around the ears, the groin and the feet. I'd recommend (as others have) getting your dog professionally groomed and then starting off by just clipping around the body (following the lines of the prof groomer).

I assume for the eyebrows and muzzle, and maybe the legs, you will want scissors too. I use Wahl brand which are sort of mid-range for expense (around $70 a pair).

I learned a lot from watching a professional groomer (with her permission) about how to clip, scissor, and how to hold the dog while all this is happening :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the advice.

Sorry for the confusion - my dog is not a pup but is 2 years old and has been professionally groomed about 10 times so she is used to the clippers and behaves well when being groomed. Each time I was able to watch the groomer so that has given me an idea and I also have a line to follow.

I’m not expecting my first few attempts to be great, and it will take patience - but I think I would have to be very careless to slice her open !!

I really want to try and groom her myself to save money – I find I spend more money on her at the groomers then I do myself at the hairdressers!

I’ll let you know how it goes!