Smelly Meat

I just wanted to find out whether it is ok to give smelly meat to your dog? I bought some chicken carcasses which I give once a day, but by the say 5th day they still look good but have a slight smell. Now I know that if it was me (as a human)I would not eat anything that smelt "off". Is it bad to give it too him? :mad

I just wanted to find out whether it is ok to give smelly meat to your dog? I bought some chicken carcasses which I give once a day, but by the say 5th day they still look good but have a slight smell. Now I know that if it was me (as a human)I would not eat anything that smelt "off". Is it bad to give it too him? :mad

Ideally all raw meat & bones should be frozen and then fed after thawing in teh fridge. Freezing helps kill some bacteria. I wouldnt deliberately set about feeding off meat even though tehir digestive systems are geared up for it, it is still an unnesccessary risk.

JMO

No, I wouldn't risk it either. My dogs get the same quality food that I eat myself.

You do realise that fresh chicken generally only has a shelf life of 4 to 5 days? And this only when they come instore - depending on delivery days and the rest, you may only get a day or two out of them.

Basically you should either go shopping every day or two - or start freezing!!!

Once breast bones start to do smelly, they will generally go moudly within a few hours.

It depends on how much risk you are prepared to take doesn't it!

Dogs are capable of consuming all sorts of nasty things that we wouldn't dream of eating and be OK but sometimes they do get upset guts.

Personally I freeze chicken frames if they aren't going to be consumed within 2-3 days.

That way if they do get a gut problem I know something I have done hasn't contributed to their problem. :mad

Eww, i did a job for someone, 5 LARGE dogs, she left chicken for them all, 2 weeks worth.

Ok, sounds good, would feed one lot, and put the next days lot in the fridge to defrost

she had them ALL lined up in the fridge, just sitting on the shelves :mad

Day 2 it STUNK, juice was dripping out of the fridge door, thank god the rung me and had to come homeearly!!

Thanks for the replies, I usually buy two weeks worth and freeze one and keep out the other, but I will now be doing what Cav said. I also find the same with the mince that I mix with rice and pasta, should I be freezing those in day lots too?

I reckon that sounds ideal :mad

How well does pasta freeze? Ive not tried that, but also hardly feed it, I normally only feed brown rice very infequently, as i find these grains & starshes cause itchy skin & yeast infestions (ears)

You could make your own patties with mince , veg & offal, and freeze individually.

Cheers

What sort of dogs do you own Jensta?

If I based what I ate on what my dogs would consume I hate to think what would be going into my meals :rofl: Dead, rotten birds, scraps left on the ground at the park, rabbit poo, horse poo, cow poo, cat poo... One of my work Labs lunged for a used prophylactic at the park once. Lucky I caught her in time! :laugh:

I didn't know you could keep carcasses in the fridge for a few days. I've always frozen them as soon as I get home.

My overgrown rat does not eat defrosted BARF mix. I have to freeze the meat and vegie mix separately in portions and then mix it together before i serve. Only way he will eat BARF.

ETA: My dog doesn't eat or chew on old bones. He chews on them for the first hour or so that they are given and then never touches them again (even if there is still meat).

Tangwyn, can I assume you have a lab???

Edited by Bub

Dogs wont eat off meat.

You reckon? :rofl: I wonder how fresh the meat is on the bones they bury and dig up after a few days. Dogs will certainly eat off meat. They love food that stinks.

I won't feed my dogs anything that smells a bit off. All the chicken frames go into the freezer, 3 to a pack. I take one pack out every night and it goes straight into the fridge to defrost.

Maybe it depends on the dog.. My dog turns his nose up at meat with only a slight smell... but he is a bit fussy. I am sure he would roll in off meat though :laugh: