Licking

I went to dog club today and spoke to the lady that has 2 flatcoats, and they used to both lick other dogs, and she just let them be, and they got it out of their system and don't do it much now. Josh also licks the glass. He licks my clothes too. At 2tollers place he licked her glass door and 2tollers son now wants a flatcoat, said Josh was a cool dog. So funny. Also if your dog likes to retrieve, they can't lick if they have something in their mouth. Josh will often carry a toy in his mouth when he is excited and sees me. I find that putting something in Josh's mouth such as a toy does calm down his happiness. He is around 5. People think he is 12 months old. LOL They are different to goldens have a little bit more pep than compared to a golden at the same age. This is a generalisation and you always have exceptions.

Yep-no problems when carrying something-especially good when we have non-dog people over. I like that their active- a lot of breeds would be too quiet for me! I find most people see them and want one. I'm leaving it- thanks though-you feel like you are alone. They aren't that common here-so their isn't people to ask.

Josh is the only flatcoat in Australia doing flyball. He is not the fastest dog but has a great time, check out his tail. I call him "Goofy" as he has such a hilarious run. The flatcoat club of Victoria has interstate members and they are great to talk to. I would give them a call.

Thanks heaps crash test dummy- same with Grover with agility-won't be the fastest dog but loves it. It is especially good for me to see him out there cos' of his breathing problems. Will contact the club-ta

My cattle dog x licks my other two dogs mouths and rolls over, she is just showing them where she is in the pack order.

she also licks the cats mouth! There is never any agro toward her , so they all get on fine. I don't think it is a "breed" thing!

good luck with it all :D

I don't think it is a "breed" thing!

Whilst the act of licking is not necessarily restricted to Flat Coated Retrievers from what I understand it would be a very rare Flatcoat that wasn't an almost obsessive licker. When a friend of mine (who had previously owned a Flatcoat) heard I was getting one he said, "Get ready for a whole lotta lovin'!" :love:

I was pondering the behaviour the other night and wondering if there is a common ancestor that is responsible for the "lickety-lick" nature of the breed. The gene pool became so small at one point that I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the case.

Tangwyn

Edited for spelling...

Edited by Tangwyn

They were not on paper although they both came from UK backgrounds.

If I get a bitch and use Woody's semen I may get some more non-lickers.

To my mind it looks like a genetic, stability or temperament issue.

I agree with your line of thought. Does that make me intelligent?

From what I can remember

When she was young I would get her really tired until she wanted to fall asleep.

Then I would get her to lay down beside me.

If she licked I would sit her back up.

Eventualy wanting to fall asleep would win out.

I taught her the leave it command.

This was used to good effect when she wanted to start licking.

Never cured, but managed.

Country joe

I agree with your line of thought. Does that make me intelligent?

Yes it does. And good looking too! :D :thumbsup:

As for Woody's semen... is there enough left over for that working-line bitch I'm gonna import in a few years? :)