Weird New Behaviour

My partner and I separated at the very start of this year and I kept the dog - a one year old desexed male Mini Poodle. And while there was a change in routine of the household, the pack heirarchy (to the very best of my knowledge) has remained the same - me at the top, then any other humans (in this case, visitors), and then the dog.

Without wishing to get too personal, I have been on a couple of dates and the dog has been fine when the respective suitors have picked me up or dropped me home - no barking, no agression, no wariness.

Anyway, I came home from a date last night and while standing in the entry hallway of my house, my suitor went to kiss me. It was at this point that the dog went completely ferral - lips curled back, teeth bared, barking, agressive body stance. Needless to say, the moment was ruined and I had to get the bloke out of the house before someone got hurt.

So to all the behaviourists out there, have you got any ideas on what this is all about? Was he guarding/protecting me? The dog had seen my ex kiss me a million times so while I understand that one of the "players" is new, the activity itself isn't. How do I ensure it doesn't happen again (I don't want to have to crate him or put him in another room any time I have someone over)?

Thanks so much for your help!

I don't know if I can really help you on this one - might have to wait for the experts :)

I have a feeling that your pup is simply mis-interpreting body language..... I know of a few people who'se dogs get inbetween them when they try and cuddle etc. The dog is also at the bottom of the pack.

LOL - even Leo gets 'stressed out' when my brother comes home and we wrestle - Leo thinks that is NOT on (or maybe he wants to join in?!).

sorry I can't help :0

Is it only when he goes to kiss you? What about a hand on your shoulder or brief cuddle? Sitting on the couch etc? Just some more questions that might help the experts. I experience this with Bob who is extremely jealous of my OH, we are slowly working through it. Pack hieracy is good too, me of course, OH, then Bob. It's an intereting one.

Lol, this is getting a little more personal than I would have liked, but well...I brought it up, so here goes:

We've never really cuddled or anything before. Have only been out on a few dates with the guy and this is the first time he's gone to kiss me. My back was against the wall, he had one hand aganst the wall next to my head, his other hand kind of cupping my cheek.

Excuse me while I slink off to die of embarrassment.

Edited by Natashja

We've never really cuddled or anything before. Have only been out on a few dates with the guy and this is the first time he's gone to kiss me. My back was against the wall, he had one hand aganst the wall next to my head, his other hand kind of cupping my cheek.

WOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it! :)

Don't be embarassed, you deserve to be having a good time!

Edited by shoemonster

Oscar (the mini) bit my OH once, however, I think that was a hierachy issue. Dog was lying on the bottom of my bed, curled up, I was reading, OH sat on bed, chatted, and touched my leg (NOT amorously). Dog put head up and snapped.

OH had been away a couple of weeks for work, dog was still about 1 year old and dog has more dominant temperament + slightly spoiled e.g. on bed. Immediately grabbed dog by scruff off neck, held him down and told him off, then put outside for 20 minutes. Never happened again. Needless to say dog also demoted: no bed, lounge by invitation only, more training etc.

Not sure what's happenning in Chomsky's case. Has he been a bit more spoilt in the absence of your partner? At least he's not a doberman :) Effect on lovelife should be minimal.

Edited by Poodle wrangler

Oooh sweet description!

One idea would be to work on desensitising your dog to people making these kinds of movements towards you.

Also, how was the lighting? Perhaps the "picture" looked very strange to your dog, and that's what he was reacting to. A well known issue with many dogs is when familiar people carry strange things, such as a box. It makes the picture look strange, and their eyesight isn't great anyway.

It's also possible that your body chemistry altered, and you emitted a different smell - heck, I get excited by romantic kisses - it may have been a component.

Edited by sidoney

wooohooo "it's getting hot in here....." :):rofl:

from your description I would say that your pup simply mis-interpreted. He was unsure of the body language between the two of you. Not to mention.... have you been spending more time with him since you have split with your ex? A bigger bond can sometimes lead to the dog being more suspicious of people around.

Having said that - it could have just been a 'once off'.... both of my dogs have suprised me with "barwoowwoo" to strangers when I least expect them to....

Thanks guys! I thought it might have something to do with the dog misinterpreting human intimacy as agression - I guess to him I might have looked like I was "pinned".

The weird thing is that he has never, ever been the "protective" type. I'm top dog and he leaves me to make those decisions. So is this latest behavioural problem a sign of pack issues?

Edited by Natashja

No I don't really think so. My guys show absolutely no sign of 'protection' and are likely to kiss my mugger! but some people spark suspicion in them and cause them to react.

If you want - work on some Nothing in life is free, but I honestly don't think you really have anything to worry about - if it keeps recurring then perhaps it is an issue, but a once of..... nah!

I'm worried about the behaviour for a couple of reasons:

1) that we might have a pack issue

2) that my dog could turn into a massive pain in the arse and actually prevent me from having a new relationship with someone

3) that if things get more physical, the dog could seriously hurt someone.

I'm glad some of you are taking pleasure in all of this :rofl:

Nat,the dog sees himself as top Dog. Tony

Really? He's never done ANYTHING like this before, never exhibited any kind of behaviour that would indicate he's in charge. We practise NILIF at home as directed by K9 Force in addition to TOT...

Nat,the dog sees himself as top Dog. Tony

Really? He's never done ANYTHING like this before, never exhibited any kind of behaviour that would indicate he's in charge. We practise NILIF at home as directed by K9 Force in addition to TOT...

Natashja I would be giving Chomsky the benefit of the doubt.. for all we know he saw you being against a wall as being threatened.

However, I'd be either introducing him to new partners right off the bat.. or crating him before "getting physical" or both.

I'm worried about the behaviour for a couple of reasons:

1) that we might have a pack issue

2) that my dog could turn into a massive pain in the arse and actually prevent me from having a new relationship with someone

3) that if things get more physical, the dog could seriously hurt someone.

I'm glad some of you are taking pleasure in all of this :vomit:

But he has only done this once and sounds like he has shown no inclination of doing this before. Next time this guy comes over - get him to greet the dog, give him a few treats and see your dogs reaction.

Unless you really want to be throwing treats at your dog while you are kissing someone else.... LOL. Nah - if he is willing you can get this guy to set up a similar scenario while you treat/reward your dog so that he knows it is nothing to worry about.

1) I don't see it as a pack issue as it doesn't sound like he has been doing this before, and you have been practicing NILIF and TOT.

2) If you see it as a problem that is starting to recur - see what I wrote above.

3) If you show the dog that it is nothing to worry about then I doubt this will happen.

I'm just thinking that it will all have to be 'set up' as if things really *do* get more physical I am sure the last thing on your mind will be "wait I have to get some treats' :rofl: :rolleyes:

My advice would be either - do a set up and reward the dog for behaving properly (remember if this was at night, shadows cast weird pictures to dogs too) or take note of what has happened.... ride it for a bit and see if he offers the same response.... if he does- then work on getting your dog used to the situation.

does that help more?