"obnoxious Toad" Stage Of Development?

Tango's just hit this stage at exactly 18 months :thumbsup: Found him on the dining table again the other day.....walked slowly up to him without taking my eyes off him and he didn't drop his eye contact....till he got slapped across the shoulder (noise not force) - it was the only way he would get off the table and I wasn't going to drag 32kg across a polished pine table :rofl:

He's also taken to staring at me when I give him a command and not complying till I move towards him (even if it's just a weight shift), so last night I started making him comply instantly rather than giving him 5 seconds to think about it - and that's improved things no end....and just to reiterate it, when he was lying on his bed last night after tea I just rolled him on his back and placed a hand gently on his chest.........no way was it an alpha roll, but it was a statement, and he accepted it and closed his eyes.......

just waiting for the next challenge.........

Just of late this has come about, which is why i am a bit freaked out lol...all my hard work...!!!! where has it gone?!?!?!?! lol

Rachelle - tighten up any and all areas of your leadership activities. NILIF - consistantly and very clearly. Make sure YOU are the one who instigates contact, not your dog. Other things (many of which people argue against but which I have found makes a difference). In this way you will be very loudly and strongly asserting your higher ranking position. (ETA: because at the moment, he is questioning it. It probably isn't the first time, and most likely not the last time he'll do this. Know that what he's looking for is affirmation that you stand up to his "leader" requirements.) You are in that phase where your leadership is being contested.

Don't fear - your hard work in obedience is still there and will return if you tighten your guidelines (although any self-learnt experiences might need a bit of a touch up). Expect more of your dog. But give an inch and I bet he'll take a mile. :thumbsup:

Edited by Erny

I have been correcting her for non immediate compliance as you suggested erny. I emailed K9 and he said to do the same thing also.

It seems to be making a bit of a difference. we had a really good training session yesterday so i think that added to all the positiveness. So thanks a lot for all the feedback. I guess i am also feeling a lot better knowing that other people have gone thru the same thing with their dog.

eta, thanks for that Erny, I have also emailed steve for his expetrtise, but i am afraid he is probably clocked off at this time of night lol...i needed some advice desperately.

And I haven't been giving her praise but i haven't been giving her a correction either. Wasn't quite sure which one to give lol - i mean she DID the right thing....eventually haha.

I don't know if it has been said already, but.....

make it clearer - if she doesn't do it 1st time, make her do it (as you are doing), no praise, release her and ask for it again. If she does it first go give her a pat, go get some treats, get a toy, go outside... whatever, just make sure she gets a reward :laugh:.

Perhaps the rewards have been cut back a little too much and you are semi expecting her to 'sit' regardless of the fact that she is rarely rewarded anymore???

I dont think it only applies to the dog at that age, although probably more so.

My Rex thats over 7yo has recently started to see if "for sure" he isnt allowed to do certain things. Additedly I had slacken off on him as he has been limping very badly recently, so I "mummied" him a bit, and now he expects me to allow him things daily that were very rare privilidges in the past.