"obnoxious Toad" Stage Of Development?

My little puppy has just turned 2 years old (today in fact)...yay, she's growing up...well i didnt know that maturity meant that she would turn into a horrible disobedient, obnoxious little cow. She gets trained daily, she is walked, fed, played with, petted....a very well looked after girl. Of late she has decided that obeying commands is optional and if she decides to do it then she will do it in her own time.

I have not let her get away with this behaviour at all! I will give her a command - she looks at me and the second i go to physically put her in position, then she decides to do it. Otherwise she will just keep looking at me. However if i have a treat in my hand, she does it first go every time.

I mean seriously it is insane. She will be outside the door and i will tell her to sit - she will just look at me, the second i open the door to make her do it she sits (without me requesting it again) - it is like she is thinking and contemplating whether she will do it or not. :rofl:

She never used to be like this and I have convinced myself that she is going thru a stage - i bloody hope so lol. :rolleyes:

Now my question is, is there an "Obnixious Toad" stage of development that dogs go thru at around 2 years old? Please tell me it is simply a stage she is passing thru....!!

Please if you have no advice to offer, then tell me a story of your own because it will make me feel better lol

edited for typo

Edited by Rachelle

:rolleyes: :vomit::vomit: my Elka just turned two and she has gone from being perfect to being naughty and ignorant. Also she has all of a sudden decided she doesnt like OH when he walks down the hallway she gets under the table where he cant get near her, yet when he comes in the front door she is bouncing all over the lounge to kiss him. And if he is sitting down she is all over him.

Very obnoxious and wierd.

so I would say it is a stage :rofl:

:rofl: Rachelle - it is a stage. A stage of "testing" your leadership and right to govern!

Rachelle:

I will give her a command - she looks at me and the second i go to physically put her in position, then she decides to do it.

In this circumstance, when she does complete the command, do you praise her or give a correction (in whichever form of correction you normally use for training)? I would use a correction. The correction is for not complying with the command when it was given in the first place. Don't let her play you - this is what it sounds like she is doing and you falling for it won't serve your heirarchy status (in her eyes) any favours.

LOL oh god that is funny. nice to hear you are having problems too isaviz

haha, she is driving me up the wall.

eta, thanks for that Erny, I have also emailed steve for his expetrtise, but i am afraid he is probably clocked off at this time of night lol...i needed some advice desperately.

And I haven't been giving her praise but i haven't been giving her a correction either. Wasn't quite sure which one to give lol - i mean she DID the right thing....eventually haha.

Edited by Rachelle

One of mine is around 18 months. He seemed to go through his trying time around the 8 to 12 month stage. Instant selective deafness. He was a perfect obedient non destructive puppy before that - then he was a little horror - and now he's marvellous and no trouble again. I didn't worry about it too much at the time - just figured he'd grow out of it.

Wasn't quite sure which one to give lol - i mean she DID the right thing....eventually haha.

Cheeky thing (your dog). No, she didn't do the right thing ..... only thought to do so when she tested to see if you'd do anything about it. Apply the correction - if your correction is effective you should find that she will realise testing you doesn't get her what she wants and that her obedience becomes more immediately compliant.

ETA: Of course, I am speaking on the assumption that you know your dog knows and understands the command you've given her.

Edited by Erny

yeah of course she understands it :rofl: . she is just pretending to be dumb, she has known to sit and drop and stay since she was 10weeks old. and thanks again erny i will start doing that with her tomorrow. see how we go lol

Kaz, I seem to remember a similar stage around that age too...but here it is again lol....maybe you'll have another to look forward to in 6 months time :rolleyes:

yeah of course she understands it :rofl: . she is just pretending to be dumb, she has known to sit and drop and stay since she was 10weeks old. and thanks again erny i will start doing that with her tomorrow. see how we go lol

Kaz, I seem to remember a similar stage around that age too...but here it is again lol....maybe you'll have another to look forward to in 6 months time :rolleyes:

No way. (stuffing my fingers in my ears) Not listening. Isn't going to happen. You must have been mistaken. :vomit:

Grover is going throught the same thing- he is 18months old. We let down our guard I think, thinking we had done the hard stuff and here it is again! Exactly things like- recall good now bad bad bad! Drop- apparently optional, etc. Am currently rewriting the 'good dog contract' with Grover :rofl:

Ed goes through stages of it, he's in one now, he's 20 months and he drives me nuts!

His latest after being a wonder dog, is bolting from stays or recalls at obed club, seriously annoying me now, he'll be back on a long line if he does it one more time

yay, that's great to hear. I'm getting so much joy from all your problems hahaha.

Thanks heaps for your experiences/opinions...so i am pretty sure now that she will grow out of it...lets hope soon!

Taken from K9s website http://www.k9force.net/index.html?row2col2=develop.html

Maturity (1-4 Years)

We have so many people with German Shepherds, Rottweilers, Boxers etc that come to us at 2 years old wondering when the puppy will leave this dog? I have seen some dogs that are big pups at 4 years old. If the dog is a pain then its because you havent completed the training as suggested earlier, but better late than never.

If you allow your large dog to reach maturity without any training, your in for a hard time, possibly a dangerous one if your dog becomes dominant.

Dogs approaching maturity need firm handling.

If you say that she does something first time when she sees the food and doesnt when there is no food I think she doesnt see your reward of petting/good word/whatever you do as a high enough to perform the excercise. Perhaps you can rethink your rewards and corrections, or both.

Edited by myszka

Hi Guys :party: its funny this post should be here as only last night Minx was being weird and when I feed her her dinner she was eating it and then she stood their and walked away and ran to the sliding door, so I called her back, and give her a pat and tried to get her to finish her food, but she just sat there looking like she was in trouble :rofl: so I just took her dinner away and put it in the fridge.

Lately I've noticed she gets all shakey and sooky like a kid wanting attention for no reason at all :rofl: so I just ignore her, she is abit of a spoiled brat, goes everywhere with us, sit on the couch with us, sleeps in the bedroom with us etc etc, so its very frustrating when she does this 'I'm so scared, look at me', thing :laugh:

Aahh you gotta love a dog with spirit. My last dallie bitch was so like that and sorry but she stayed that way all her life. She knew exactly what was expected and would do it perfectly, when SHE was ready to do it. She was the only dog to fail obedience class. The trainer kept on saying it was my fault and he would show me how it should be done. He failed miserably to get her to do anything at all and I have to admit I was happy about that. :rofl: Mind you, that's probably why she stayed that way all her life, :rofl: that one episode made me so happy (bloody arrogant trainer) it became her life's work.

I didn't care, I loved her anyway.

lol hmm i dont think she is quite as spirited as your dallie sunds... well maybe at the moment she is, but usually she is very obedient. Just of late this has come about, which is why i am a bit freaked out lol...all my hard work...!!!! where has it gone?!?!?!?! lol