Puppy Eating My Bathroom

Acacia

Hi all,

Is there anything I can use that the pup may not like the taste of to stop her from eating my bathroom! :) She sleeps in the bathroom, so it is the only time I can't watch her.

Thanks!

Our dogs used to eat the front door and the railing to on the deck. Citronella spray worked a treat. Came in a big container from bunnings, complete with a spray nozel and hose. It doesn't stain, but you still have to wipe off the oil.

Why not? It's bigger than the laundry, less things she can get into, easy to clean if she has an accident, and it is only until she is toilet trained.

I wouldn't be able to put the crate near me at night because I have another dog, and he would try to play with her all night and I wouldn't be able to hear when she needed to go to the toilet if I put her anywhere else, or doesn't that matter?

Thanks reddii, will try that.

Why not? It's bigger than the laundry, less things she can get into, easy to clean if she has an accident, and it is only until she is toilet trained.

I wouldn't be able to put the crate near me at night because I have another dog, and he would try to play with her all night and I wouldn't be able to hear when she needed to go to the toilet if I put her anywhere else, or doesn't that matter?

Hey don't get your knickers in a knot, I was only trying to be helpful, you asked a question and I answered and gave my opinion, if you don't agree with me well that's just too bad. IMO bathrooms are cold sterile places and not really suitable as puppy bedrooms, but if your puppy is happy to sleep in there and you don't mind minor damage and wiping off the oil every morning then go for it.

Alternatively if you keep her in a crate and having her sleeping near you isn't an option you could always put the crate into the bathroom, much more comfortable for the puppy, no damage to the room and you'll still be able to hear her if she wants to go out, problem solved. She is also less likely to soil her crate and this will make toilet training so much easier. Even when she's toilet trained I wouldn't be leaving a young puppy loose in the house all night, there are just too many things they can chew and destroy. Once she's crate trained she can sleep in her crate at nights and they're also great places to pop the pup if you have 'non-doggy' visitors, if you're going out for a short while and don't want to leave her outside or if you're simply too busy to watch the puppy.

IMO crating the puppy overnight is a much more practical idea than locking her in a cold bathroom, smearing oil everywhere and putting up with any damage she might do during the night, but hey I always go for the easy option, guess I must be old and lazy.

I'm not going to agree that the bathroom is a bad place for the dog to sleep - that's where mine used to sleep.

That said crate training your dogs is a great idea. both mine are crate trained and (with the exception of the last couple of nights - see my other post) has been the best decision we have made with the dogs.

Ours sleep in their crates in the laundry and love their homes (i'm working on them coming closer to us, but give it time :) ). They are side by side and know that night time is sleep time - not time for play.

The crate also helps with toilet training.

Tony

Sorry if I came across as 'getting my knickers in a knot', I didn't mean to be. :)

Yes I have thought about crate training. She likes the cool tiles though as she is very fluffy with a double coat. It should still be fairly cool for her with a crate in the bathroom.

I will try the oil for now though, as we can't afford a crate at the moment, having spent over $1500 on the dog this fortnight, we have spent as much as we can on the dog this pay (unless an emergency). Wiping a bit of oil off isn't a problem for now as I mop the bathroom floor every morning when I get up.

How often would you recommend that I get up to take her out to the toilet for a 9 week old pup and how long can they spend in the crate? I don't work, so she won't be in it all day.

Thanks for the help ;)

Bathrooms are too cold for puppies to sleep in, especially in the colder months.

She would probably need 3 breaks during the night, straight out, toilet and back to bed, no playing, no eye contact, just business

Have to posted pictures?

Bathrooms are too cold for puppies to sleep in, especially in the colder months.

She would probably need 3 breaks during the night, straight out, toilet and back to bed, no playing, no eye contact, just business

Have to posted pictures?

My bathroom is the hottest part of my house!! I have ducted heat that comes in from the roof, my dogs usually sleep in there during the winter cause it is warmer :)

No I didn't get pics of the damage :p

It is 22 here, and cold to me, but the puppy decided she wanted to go for a swim. Perfect weather for a Leo, they say not to excersise them at all when it is over 25.

Now she is running around the house leaving paw prints everywhere :laugh::)

Sorry if I came across as 'getting my knickers in a knot', I didn't mean to be. :)

Yes I have thought about crate training. She likes the cool tiles though as she is very fluffy with a double coat. It should still be fairly cool for her with a crate in the bathroom.

I will try the oil for now though, as we can't afford a crate at the moment, having spent over $1500 on the dog this fortnight, we have spent as much as we can on the dog this pay (unless an emergency). Wiping a bit of oil off isn't a problem for now as I mop the bathroom floor every morning when I get up.

How often would you recommend that I get up to take her out to the toilet for a 9 week old pup and how long can they spend in the crate? I don't work, so she won't be in it all day.

Thanks for the help :p

LOL, sometimes it's easy to misjudge how a person is feeling when reading text, looking back at my original post I can see that it could be construed as being critical and judgmental, but it wasn't meant that way :laugh:

I usually start crating my puppies from around 12/14 weeks of age, before that they're outside with other puppies from the litter, but once all the others have gone and I've decided on the pups I'm keeping I bring them inside and start crate training them. It usually only takes a couple of days (sometimes not even that) and they generally sleep from around 11 at night until about 6 in the morning, of course as they get older they can be left longer.

A 9 week old puppy will probably need to go out at least once during the night, but they should be able to sleep right through from about 12 weeks as long as you get up reasonably early in the morning. During the day I probably wouldn't crate the puppy for longer than a couple of hours max.