Hot Spots - Can You Treat With Tea Tree Oil Or Lotion?

My brother's lab has developed nasty hot spots on her backside. She is fed on BARF. He lives in Canada so she is inside a lot and it is warm and dry.

The vet is suggesting drugs but Graeme is wondering whether he could use tea tree oil or tea tree lotion or cream on them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I promised I would get advice from the experts i.e. all of you.

My brother's lab has developed nasty hot spots on her backside. She is fed on BARF. He lives in Canada so she is inside a lot and it is warm and dry.

The vet is suggesting drugs but Graeme is wondering whether he could use tea tree oil or tea tree lotion or cream on them. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I promised I would get advice from the experts i.e. all of you.

I have a boy who is very prone to hotspots, we use rectinol it's a cream for heamorroids we swear by that we've been using that for years, also tinea powder is also very good we've just used it on our boy and they dried up by the next day.

We also found out our boy has an allergy to beef so we have him on a salmon based kibble and he's not getting as many it's the humid weather that's when he'll have an out break but during last winter he had none at all.

Good luck they are horrible things :)

Perry's mum,

He needs to use something to dry it out so I would not use tree-oil. .

I like the sound of Rosepetals treatment :D , I have heard Super models use it as an eye cream :) go figure.

I used betadine and "Curash" baby powder to treat a hot spot on one of my dogs this summer and it worked really well, I clipped the hair off around the area of the hot spot first, then put Betadine on it then patted the powder on, I also had to put a bucket on her head for a couple of days as she was licking it all the time, it healed up really well, I got that information from here, if you type "Hot Spots" in the "Search" you will find lots of info.

We had our first hot spot last year and used the Curash and it was great. When I did a search on here and read through a few topics someone (I can't for the life of me remember who though and too lazy to search right now) suggested if your dog is prone to them to give them a zinc tablet in the warmer weather as a preventative so I started this straight away and we haven't had a hot spot since. :)

Best thing for hotspots is Friars Balsam (from chemist for about $4). Dries the hot spot out in about 2 days.

I've heard a number of vets say that tea tree oil is actually poisonous to dogs. I never buy any product for a dog with tea tree oil in it.

Edited by Scales of Justice

what's a hot spot?

Lynlovesdogs - without looking up and quoting the proper medical technical definition, a hot spot is a spot on the skin that has erupted due to some sort of toxin within the body. It comes up similar to a pimple and then erupts. Can become quite large sores. Contributing factors can be internal (diet; suppressed immune system etc.) as well as external (eg. allergens, pollens etc.)

True hotspots are actually a Staph infection. Often starts out as a very small scratch and due to moisture (humidity, licking etc), develops an infection (staph is always present on skin).

Using tea tree based products is potentially dangerous. Tea tree should NEVER be put on an open wound. Hotspots are quite painful and some dogs are prone to them.

My Lab gets hotspots if she eats certain commercial dry foods. I always use INFLAMOL from the vet.

Along with the curash or similar, I would also use quit itch lotion on it.

First wash the area with an iodine based lotion like quit itch or betadine. That kills off any bacteria. Then you can use thinks like the curash powder to help dry out the area.

Edited by arby

I have been using alpha keri oil available from the chemist for 20 years know. Just put a little on the hot spot and in a few days the scab comes away from the skin and there is no need to cut hair or anything. I know everyone has a remedy as well, but this is what i have found that has worked for me

I use a cream from the vet called Ilium Neocourt - it is an antibiotic, antiinflammatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream (whatever all that means!!) and then spray the area with "Ban Itch" which is available from the pet shop or vet and it tastes disgusting (it really does, I tasted it one day out of curiosity - digusting I know but hey - now at least I know!! heehee). This stops Cibo chewing on the spot and making it worse and gives the sore time to heal. I put the cream on in the morning then arvo then right before bed and spray at those times and in between if I see him starting to scratch (rare) cause I know the chewing will follow!!!

I read through all the replies the other day with interest. One of my girls got hotspots every now and then. Funnily enough she never got them when she was younger just as she got on a bit. Well blow me down if I didn't come home to find her son with a hotspot yesterday :confused: I thought I'd try out the Betadine and Curash cause I had both here.... or so I thought. The Betadine must have gone out of date and I've tossed it. I've been told to use Listerine but never tried it. So I dabbed the spot well with Listerine and then put Curash on it. Doug hasn't touched it overnight so fingers crossed it will do the trick.