Hot Spots - Can You Treat With Tea Tree Oil Or Lotion?

We had an interesting experience with a hotspot in January that got out of hand. It can happen in the blink of an eye. It started of as just a bit of eczema and we thought it was getting better and then overnight she had been gnawing at it and :p mad rush to the Vet the next morning. In the past I had used Neocourt as someone else had mentioned and found it wonderful for things like this. As the tube I had was about 10 years out of date I didn't want to use it and figured I'd better take her to the Vet and get some cream made this century :) . In the past with my other dogs, that's all my old Vet did was prescribe cream and come back if it got worse type thing. Anyway we got the royal hospitalization $$$ treatment but the upshot is for next time I have the prescription cream.

I read something recently about teatree oil being dangerous for these kind of thigns ???

I don't know whether what Stevie had in January was 'hot spot' or not. She had little pimple type things on her nose one night, then next morning they were nasty running sores. Went to vet and he gave her antibiotics, but next day it was all a lot worse and spreading across her face and around her eyes, and she was starting to rub her face along walls and furniture, so I went back and asked for cortisone and anti-histamine jabs (we've changed vets since - I didn't have much confidence in this one, he asked for her to be muzzled and for me to kneel on her to keep her down while she was on the floor - he seems to be really scared of big dogs). We don't know what caused it, suggested causes were spider bite or Wandering Jew, but she hadn't been exposed to anything unusual that we were aware of.

It all cleared up in a couple of weeks, using steroid cream and washing it with an antiseptic wash, but she still has a spot on the top of her nose in the middle, where the worst sore was. The fur seems to be growing ok but a bit thin, and the skin underneath is flaky and dry. Is there anything we can do to help that bit repair?

post-15359-1176873520_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add in previous post that the vet shook his head and said he'd never seen anything like it, which didn't give me a lot of confidence!

Bump - can anyone help with repairing Stevie's skin after what seems likely to have been Hot Spot?

S & J your case sounds like mange - sarcoptic. Can be easily picked up from foxes. I have just had a dog with SM & it was confined to the bridge of the nose & cheeks.

Have to agree, Neocort or Cort-Hex ointment is my preference for hot spots.

Thanks Trifecta, but isn't sarcoptic mange one of the things controlled by the regular flea/mite squirts? The dogs had their regular dosings about a week before. Can it still happen?

We still have some of the cortisone ointment left over. I know from my own exczema that it's not good to use it too much because it can have a permanent effect on the thickness of skin, but can it help with this scarring/dryness? It doesn't seem to irritate Stevie any more, I'm just concerned that if the skin isn't quite healed then it could be an entry point for further infection. Also I'm not too vain about her appearance (I hope) but she is a particularly beautiful dog and we love getting compliments on her behalf!

Thanks Trifecta, but isn't sarcoptic mange one of the things controlled by the regular flea/mite squirts? The dogs had their regular dosings about a week before. Can it still happen?

We still have some of the cortisone ointment left over. I know from my own exczema that it's not good to use it too much because it can have a permanent effect on the thickness of skin, but can it help with this scarring/dryness? It doesn't seem to irritate Stevie any more, I'm just concerned that if the skin isn't quite healed then it could be an entry point for further infection. Also I'm not too vain about her appearance (I hope) but she is a particularly beautiful dog and we love getting compliments on her behalf!

Revolution is the only spot on that is effective against sarcoptic mange... & personally I feel it lacks fire power & works too slowly. I cannot wait 3 weeks or so for the mites to die while the dog is self mutilating from itching :(

I usually use Neocort to fix hot spots as it works quickly & stops the dog from itching as it contains lignocaine. However with the mange lesions I have used paw paw salve & have found it to be really effective.