Australian Made Super Premium

Reddii

Larry - out of interest? Are you affiliated with Natural Balance?

There are lots of people with related commercial interests here, several just on this thread alone and this health forum especially, it's common, everybody gotta earn a living and competition is fierce, readers just have to be careful what we read and make our own decisions.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok... so what should i be looking for in a 'good' dog food? why is beef bad? what makes Nutro so good and what is Lamb Meal??

Look carefully at the lists of ingredients - if you woudl not eat it, chances are your dog shouldn't either, some list things like "chicken digest" or "poultry by-products"

For example, look at the list of ingredients in Eagle Pack Holistic:

Ingredients: Chicken Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Ground White Rice, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (Preserved With Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Pork Meal, Dried Beet Pulp, Anchovy, Sardine & Salmon Meals, Flaxseed, Dried Egg Product, Tomato Pomace, Menhaden Fish Oil, Carrots, Peas, Sun-Cured Alfalfa, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Quinoa (Organic), Blueberries, Apples, Inulin, Beta-Carotene, Cranberries, Dehydrated Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Schidigera Extract, DL-Methionine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, d-Pantothenic Acid, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Biotin, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Inositol, Polysaccharide Complexes of Zinc, Iron, Manganese, Copper and Cobalt, Potassium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Lactobacillus acidophilus Lactobacillus casei, Enterococcus faecium, B. subtillus, Bacillus licheniformis, Bacillus coagulins, Aspergillus oryzae, and Aspergillus niger.

Everything is natural and traceable

Go to the websites of some of the foods that are available to you and look at the ingredients, and compare - youwill soon see a pattern of ingredients you like and those you don't - in general, dogs don't digest corn very well, so you may not want to feed our dog a food with corn -

Look around as if you were looking at labels for yourself...

discalimer! EP is just what I feed Gomez, and I am in no way affiliated with them

winterpaws-i am quite pro-australian and i have a lot of friends in the farming industry here :rolleyes:

i think that in future years australian food, wine, etc will continue to get more popular due to our clean and safe environment

we feed our dogs natural balance, and home made food.

i hear a lot about what deals usa company's get in order to get ahead in the world market....(mind you the awb in iraq also wasn't 'above board')

i also used to have a business in the past that made gourmet foods for people(we have sold it years ago), and i met a lot of other food manufacturers here in WA, so i am quite positive towards australian manufacturers, and the food standards here.

I have visited the usa many times, as we have relatives there, and i am not impressed with the diet that most (but not all) of the people eat there.

There are other reasons i prefer australian made-they got mad cow disease, australia never did due to our feed regulations, etc, etc

i also have read a lot about the many, many problems in the china food industry, so my wife and i refuse to buy foods from china, so we certainly wouldn't feed our dogs foods made using ingredients from china.

eg in WA there is a company called anchor foods that makes australia balsmaic wine vinegars, we use these rather than imported ones...

there are many locally made foods that are as good as imported ones, and i prefer to use local, and support local companies !

eg azzurra gelati, casa dairy products, too many wines to list, lake crystal salt, anchor foods vinegars, etc

Edited by larry

Winterpaws, good question :(

Cant remember the original ad, but it was to do with dogs, and the slogan was "When you are on a good thing, stick to it" :D

Actually, I think that was the slogan for Mortein insect spray. :(

Edited by New Age Outlaw

Have also been asked the same question about my assoc. with Nutro. 'cause I post a lot about it :(

NO I am not a sales rep, YES admit am totally biased but then we have been feeding Nutro for two years prior to its availability in Aussie. We lived in NZ where it was more readily avail, and a lot more of their products there are not avail. here yet.

removed... :(

Edited by Vilsen

I have a boy here I've been looking after for a week. His skin looks yuk and he has developed two hotspots this week :( He is on Supercoat but I'd say it is not suiting him at all. He is being picked up on Sunday. I suspect his owners will not go to any great expense or trouble with is food. If he were mine I would feed him nothing but raw and I think that would help. I doubt that the owners will go for that. What would people recommend I suggest for him? I know the vet they go to will advise them to feed Hills if they ask them advice and I'm not a fan of that at all.

There are lots of people with related commercial interests here, several just on this thread alone and this health forum especially, it's common, everybody gotta earn a living and competition is fierce, readers just have to be careful what we read and make our own decisions.

Never said I had a problem with it - just wanted to know as it is a courtesy to advise people :(

There is actually an Australian made super premium (well Ihave read articles stating it is also made in Australia) but you cannot buy it in Australia... go figure hey. Here's a LINK

KitKats sig sums it up pretty well - i think from memory it says "the best food for your dog is the one your dog does well on"

Have also been asked the same question about my assoc. with Nutro. 'cause I post a lot about it :(

NO I am not a sales rep, YES admit am totally biased but then we have been feeding Nutro for two years prior to its availability in Aussie. We lived in NZ where it was more readily avail, and a lot more of their products there are not avail. here yet.

I must be missinformed... :( but I was under the impression that you sold Nutro (and ziwipeak) through your site natural petfoods australia...

Yes, that's what I thought too.

Edited by molasseslass

Whats so wrong with Advance? I'm feeding my dog that who seems to be doing just fine and loves it. Would hate to be feeding her something that wasn't good for her. :(

There is nothing wrong with ANY food if your dog does well on it. If your dog is happy and healthy there is no reason why you shouldnt feed it and that goes for any food. There just seem to be alot of dogs that dont do well on Advance and Supercoat so they generally arent recommended.

I want to give Kiwipeak a go, looks pretty good.

My guys LOVE Ziwipeak!

I have a few cans in the cupboard, they get one can between the 3 of them MAYBE once a week.

as a treat.

Teh dry food is super concentrated so you only need a bit and i think it was Sags who suggested that because of the price you just add a tiny bit for flavour.

My guys go gaga over it!

The treats are awesome, the cats LOVE it too.

Gretel, maybe you could suggest that new supermarket one - at $8 odd for about 2 kg, it;s not cheap, but not artificial flavourings and colorings, and mine have been through a couple of bags of it, and my skin dog hasnt had any issues with it. the dog might do better on it, and as it is in small bags, they wont notice the cost so much.

Otherwise, advance is not too expensive, and he may go better on that.

I thought Hesapandabear sold the food too :(

I noticed in the supermarket the other day that Nature's Gift now have a semi dry food. Is it Australian made? From what I could gather reading the label it is appears to be.

The content looks quite good, and I know there canned stuff is better than the average canned stuff.

Just been to get more royal canin biccies for my cats.....While I was in there i was so long looking at every bag of dog and cat biccies I think the owner was getting quite suspicious about me :provoke:

The advance cat biccies first ingrediant was meat and meat by products, didnt bather looking at any more advance products after that

I've just bought a bag of food called Advanced Nutrition Formula, which is Australian made, but for an American company, www.anf.com. I've got the lamb and rice one to try. I was feeding the Supercoat Working Dog because I've been having trouble getting enough raw food, and my dogs were doing well for a while, but lately I seem to be feeding a lot more to keep weight on and I've had an outbreak of itchy skin and ears.

I prefer to buy Australian if I can, not only to support Australian manufacturers, but because the products are likely to be fresher and the food supply chain a bit cleaner.

Winterpaws that Addiction product you posted a link to looks great. It says on their website they are looking for distributors in Australia - how about it Hesapandabear? Could be a good addition to your Natural Pet foods range.

Hi

I too have used Supercoat ( the one called Energy whilst the boyz were working and Adult when not working) I am always very happy with results and dogs like it too.

Feeding much more of a barf diet now, however I like to feed dry food once or twice a week in case they end up having to be kennelled at any time, due to my ill health or accident or if I have to go away without them (not that I ever plan to!)

In my book a Premium dog food is the one they do well on and enjoy!

Winterpaws that Addiction product you posted a link to looks great. It says on their website they are looking for distributors in Australia - how about it Hesapandabear? Could be a good addition to your Natural Pet foods range.

I agree - it looks awesome! I would definately try it on mine to see how they go if it wasn't crazy expensive

ETA: said was expensive instead of wasn't

Edited by Little River Duck Dog