Australian Made Super Premium

Reddii

HI Iv been reading through the thread

my little girl was on the breeders recipe all fresh food made by me and a little super coat as I was given a packet wanting to upgrade I got Eagle Pack holistic chicken and rice but Lucy was not really going for it When I mention it in puppy class first the Vet gave me a lecture about making my own food how that was not a good idea and that breeders Know nothing :thumbsup: and then told me that advantage is a A grade premium food and was Australian and Eagle Pack was cheap B grade Premium food when I told her that Eagle pack was not cheap and all organic she basically said she did not know anything about it and would not recommend it as it was B grade

I’m thinking she was full of Crap But am I wrong You guys seem to know and Gretel You have a Cav what do you think

Pity the vet firstly admitted she knew nothing about Eagle Pack and then decided she would grade it as B grade. She was correct in that she knows nothing about it so she is in no position to grade it. Vets usually recommend the foods they sell, crappy as they may be.

My vet tried it on me when I said I fed BARF. She told me she was a 'traditional' vet who would only recommend either of two brands of food they sold. I replied that most of us are open to progress regarding new ideas and methods, particularly in the area of veterinary treatment and surgical procedures. Our ideas on healthy human food has evolved and the same can be said for dog food.

ha-ha that very true we try to improve what our diets are why should we not do the same with our pets

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My vet tried it on me when I said I fed BARF. She told me she was a 'traditional' vet who would only recommend either of two brands of food they sold. I replied that most of us are open to progress regarding new ideas and methods, particularly in the area of veterinary treatment and surgical procedures. Our ideas on healthy human food has evolved and the same can be said for dog food.

Well said cavNrott

My sister is a dietician and I work in health also. Ideas on a healthy human diet keep changing, with a lot of research. How nutrients in food interact is not well understood e.g. it's about more than just the vitamins and minerals because when you give these as supplements they don't always have the same good effects you might have hope for- they now advise to avoid supplements (unless for a special medical condition) and eat the healthy food where the vitamins and minerals are found.

If they can't work out what's best for humans, how do they know what's best for dogs :thumbsup: . Is there any research independent of pet food companies?

Doesn't it defy common sense to say that dry food that keeps "fresh" in a bag for many months is more nutritious than fresh, raw meats/ bones? If the vitamins and minerals in dry food are added as supplements, wouldn't it be better to add your own supplements to BARF?

I don't know, but guess that a mix of better quality kibble and fresh food is hedging your bets for dog nutrition.

When i got Mitchi the jrt, i researched what would be suitable and best for her.

I had her on science diet as that was what she was on when i got her.

After a couple of months i became unhappy with it.

I asked around and was pointed to Nutro.

Now my guys LOVED Nutro until our last pack (apparently they had a couple of issues with some bags and that is sorted so i will alternate between EPH and Nutro), so i looked at EPH.

Asked what would be suitable as i have a large breed puppy and the EPH is suitable for a variety of animals becasue of its high quiality.

Somewhere on this web site there is a topic which has a grading system for dry, i am pretty sure EPH was 120+ and Nutro not far behind. EPH was A+++ and Nutro an A.

Give your little pup a go, experiment with high quality foods until you find the one that is right or the ones that are right for her.

Good luck.

When i got Mitchi the jrt, i researched what would be suitable and best for her.

Now my guys LOVED Nutro until our last pack (apparently they had a couple of issues with some bags and that is sorted so i will alternate between EPH and Nutro), so i looked at EPH.

Asked what would be suitable as i have a large breed puppy and the EPH is suitable for a variety of animals becasue of its high quiality.

Somewhere on this web site there is a topic which has a grading system for dry, i am pretty sure EPH was 120+ and Nutro not far behind. EPH was A+++ and Nutro an A.

Give your little pup a go, experiment with high quality foods until you find the one that is right or the ones that are right for her.

Good luck.

thanks I like to make my own food but you do need back up like when you forget to get the little pumpkens food out of the frezer :love:

Some vets probably haven't even heard of all the foods so they really can't be expected to know much about them. Many stock one type and push that as the best to feed. I don't think they are particularly up on nutrition as a whole. I've been feeding Advance for quite a while and been happy with it. I've had the girls on Nutro for about 6 weeks or so and haven't noticed any difference in their condition so far. My new pup, Lola, has come to me on Advance and I will keep her on it. Bree (my avatar) was raised on Royal Canin and has changed over to Nutro now.

post-9559-1180053061_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gretel

When I took my boy to the vet yesterday I took along the Ziwipeak treats for the vet to have a look at as he said he gets a few IBD dogs that can't have regular kibble or treats. He took down the details to refer people onto.

Good luck.

thanks I like to make my own food but you do need back up like when you forget to get the little pumpkens food out of the frezer :eek:

I hope those rolled eyes are at forgetting to take food out of the freezer :D

Yeah i have frames in my freezer for their breaky so i have some back up in the cupboard and fridge for when i forget.

I am sorry, but no food is worth paying $100.00 plus for 5 Kilos for Ziwipeak

Ian

When I took my boy to the vet yesterday I took along the Ziwipeak treats for the vet to have a look at as he said he gets a few IBD dogs that can't have regular kibble or treats. He took down the details to refer people onto.

I pay $100.00 for 15kg of food.

They only get ziwipeak cans and treats.

That 5kg of ziwipeak should last a month as they only need such a small amount as it is concentrated so it works out the same.

JMO

Ian

It is if your dog can't eat anything else.

That said, I decided to bake some treats the other night. Bear in mind that I am not a cook of any sort and my best work is toast. :D I bought some organic rice flour and organic peanut butter at a health food shop and found this recipe on the net. It's very simple. I worked out the celcius equivalent, which is 190 degrees, and left them in the oven to harden for around 40 minutes. He loves them. Works out very cheaply, despite buying organic stuff. Mind you, next time I'm going to make turkey bikkies because I'm allergic to nuts and ever since I made the peanut bikkies I've not been able to breathe properly ... :)

Sheridan, are you ok? Have you taken an antihistamine? You should it will help.

That is pretty scary.

I am going to try the liver brownies. I think they would be great for training.

Mind you the smell may make me ill whilst making them. PErha[ps i should try the peanut butter ones. Is the shortening butter or copha?

Ian

It is if you have a bitch in whelp who has gone off her food and Ziwipeak is the only thing she will eat. All of my dogs are fed Nutro with a bit of Ziwipeak sprinkled on top. If you check out Ziwipeaks ingredients, you will find that it is superior to other foods and you get what you pay for. Even my girl does not need to eat hearly as much of Ziwipeak as she would with other foods. I agree with Kristie. The price works out about the same as other super premium foods.

Sheridan, are you ok? Have you taken an antihistamine? You should it will help.

That is pretty scary.

Nah, I opened up the windows. Peanuts I'm less allergic to than other nuts. It's just the smell. I'll live!

I am going to try the liver brownies. I think they would be great for training.

Mind you the smell may make me ill whilst making them. PErha[ps i should try the peanut butter ones. Is the shortening butter or copha?

I've cooked liver biccies before and I think I prefer peanuts. :D I deliberately looked for recipes that didn't have shortening, yeast or cornmeal in them, hence the peanut butter ones which are nicely simple. It doesn't say what the shortening is. Could be either There's heaps of recipes on the net for dog treats. I just decided to substitute the wheat flour.

Might try this one and substitute the turkey baby food for real turkey. http://mixes.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/12...eats76018.shtml

Edited by Sheridan