Australian Made Super Premium

Reddii

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Natural Balance make dry foods that they say are super premium, but the first ingredient is rice.

Hello miranda,

that is a good point, however from reading about lamb meal this is the same as lamb, but with the water removed.(ie dehydrated lamb) So the weight of lamb meal would be about 25% of the weight of raw lamb, so if a company uses lamb meal since the weight of the lamb is reduced by 75% it won't tend to be the first ingredient.

One this i notice is companies can tend to 'split up' a grain, so that it doesn't come first in the ingredients list

eg rather than just listing 'rice' in one of the nutro products, they list : Ground Rice, Rice Flour, Rice Bran

http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdry-lr.shtml#ingredients

Edited by larry

Haven't read all the posts but when Diesel was a pup I started him on Eukanuba then switched to Advance when I realised it was Australian made. My reasoning for this was dry food is made, sits in the warehouse, is shipped to stores or more warehouses in other countries, then put on a shelf to sit until it is sold. I just felt that if it was made here it would be 'fresher' (ie hadn't been sitting in storage for months regardless of use by date). This may not be right, but that was part of my rationalisation for the change. At the time, I didn't know about the higher premium foods (Royal Canin, Eagle Pack, Nutro etc) and still think Advance is ok for my dog, although he is getting a different brand of bikkies at the moment.

Now, I am changing him to an even 'fresher' diet - bones, vegies etc!

There is actually an Australian made super premium (well Ihave read articles stating it is also made in Australia) but you cannot buy it in Australia... go figure hey. Here's a LINK

Actually, it appears as though its mostly made in NZ? Perhaps the one with roo is made here. It also contains possum meat. Yuck...

KitKats sig sums it up pretty well - i think from memory it says "the best food for your dog is the one your dog does well on"

This is true. My dog did very well for 10 and a half years on Supercoat. No problems at all until he moved states to be with me. The environment change between states meant that what did well for him in his old home didn't do well for him here. He's now on Eukanuba FP and is doing very well on that. My budget is not doing as well ... :p

I am told that Eagle Pack is completely unaffected by these problems due to all their ingredients being sourced within the USA (no ingredients imported from China etc). Someone told me that they ingredients are supplied by the Amish community farms, meaning the way they farm is more natural so the products are much higher in quality.

Aren't there various Amish puppyfarms? Good quality control for crops but not for dogs.

There is actually an Australian made super premium (well Ihave read articles stating it is also made in Australia) but you cannot buy it in Australia... go figure hey. Here's a LINK

Actually, it appears as though its mostly made in NZ? Perhaps the one with roo is made here. It also contains possum meat. Yuck...

I don't have a problem with possum meat from NZ. They're not a protected species there and are considered pests in the same way feral cats and foxes are here.

Aren't there various Amish puppyfarms? Good quality control for crops but not for dogs.

No idea - never heard that, but honestly, it wouldn't stop me buying the product even so. I just like that it's ingredients are sourced within USA rather than from China, that the quality of the product overall is good, and that my dogs love it and have never looked better since starting on it. ;)

If Eagle pack is only using USA ingredients then it looks like they are a lot safer USA dog food to buy than many of the other usa brands that have been involved in the recent recalls.....

it looks like some more royal canine products have been recalled

http://www.itchmo.com/

from the itchmo site :

"Update: RC quietly changed the recall dates involved. Please click on the link above for the latest."

FDA warns their own staff about cancer risk when inspecting melamine-tainted foods. Meanwhile, public is assured melamine-tainted foods are safe. :)http://www.itchmo.com/read/fda-melamine-su...-risks_20070509

Edited by larry

In relation to the brand called 'addiction'... they ain't wrong! :thumbsup:

We had a girl Tess :) who we used to feed roo meat. When we couldn't get it anymore, she would refuse to eat what she was offered. I can't remember how long she lasted, but eventually gave in to eating chicken. My dad maintains that roo is an addictive meat. He loves roo steaks too. :)

I am tossing up whether to go for Nutro or eagle pak with my new pup - all this recall stuff is pretty scary.

Edited by belijae

http://www.itchmo.com/go/tagged/safety/

"" Given shipping volumes — tens of thousands of foodstuff containers arrive each year — it is not possible to scan every export that reaches U.S. shores. Even if it were feasible, testing for an array of potential contaminants would be prohibitively expensive. A single test of one food sample for the toxic compound dioxin can cost $800 or more.

As China’s consumers grow wealthier and more informed, they are becoming less tolerant of such transgressions. Take the baby-food scandal of 2004, in which ersatz formula killed dozens of infants and sickened hundreds with severe malnutrition. Thanks to the Internet and mobile phones, that scandal received national attention and public outrage was met with at least 130 arrests and mass demotions.

Although outside agencies such as the FDA and the World Health Organization are working with Chinese authorities, this is at heart a problem only Beijing can solve. Doing so is a matter of self-interest for the Chinese government, which is trying to expand opportunities for agricultural trade. "

interesting comments regarding testing-they echo what i said earlier, in that importers can't test for 'everything'.....

and buying from high risk suppliers like china is a problem........

It will be interesting to see what work china does in the future to clean up it's food industry......

i have a feeling that there will be a lot of lawsuits in the coming years due to these food poisoning cases

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/12/news/story02.html

i read this and felt so sorry for the owners of these dogs.... Embarrassed

if this happened to any of my pets i think i would be devastated.... Embarrassed

and i would want the companies that caused the poisonings due to their wanting to save money to really suffer......

Edited by larry

http://www.itchmo.com/go/tagged/safety/

"" Given shipping volumes — tens of thousands of foodstuff containers arrive each year — it is not possible to scan every export that reaches U.S. shores. Even if it were feasible, testing for an array of potential contaminants would be prohibitively expensive. A single test of one food sample for the toxic compound dioxin can cost $800 or more.

As China’s consumers grow wealthier and more informed, they are becoming less tolerant of such transgressions. Take the baby-food scandal of 2004, in which ersatz formula killed dozens of infants and sickened hundreds with severe malnutrition. Thanks to the Internet and mobile phones, that scandal received national attention and public outrage was met with at least 130 arrests and mass demotions.

Although outside agencies such as the FDA and the World Health Organization are working with Chinese authorities, this is at heart a problem only Beijing can solve. Doing so is a matter of self-interest for the Chinese government, which is trying to expand opportunities for agricultural trade. "

interesting comments regarding testing-they echo what i said earlier, in that importers can't test for 'everything'.....

and buying from high risk suppliers like china is a problem........

It will be interesting to see what work china does in the future to clean up it's food industry......

i have a feeling that there will be a lot of lawsuits in the coming years due to these food poisoning cases

http://starbulletin.com/2007/05/12/news/story02.html

i read this and felt so sorry for the owners of these dogs.... Embarrassed

if this happened to any of my pets i think i would be devastated.... Embarrassed

and i would want the companies that caused the poisonings due to their wanting to save money to really suffer......

Within days of eating the new food, Braddah, his pet of 13 years, went from drinking insatiably to being unable to walk. He had to be carried outside to relieve himself. Braddah eventually just defecated and urinated wherever he lay. In his final days he would just lie there, shaking, unable to move.

Call me a cynic but if he cared that much for his pet he would have taken it to the vet and had it put down. I certainly wouldn't have left any pet of mind in this state, much less left it lying there in its final DAYS, unable to move. Here we go America lets sue the pants off everybody.

I have just changed my 3 to Eagle Pack Holistic Chicken

I have had them on Nutro for nearly a year, but they have gone off it the last bag (it also had a strong plasticy smell when it came out of the bag) so after many a discussion with those in the know i have opted for the holistic.

I will see how it goes and make my mind up after a bag or two.

hi daccie

you have a good point, if it was me i would have taken my dog to the vet asap, but maybe he couldn't face putting his dog down... (i know plenty of people like that) and hoped his dog would recover....

we don't know the reasons why he didn't take his dog to be put down...but then either way, his dog was going to die.....

:(

Edited by larry

hi daccie

you have a good point, if it was me i would have taken my dog to the vet asap, but maybe he couldn't face putting his dog down... (i know plenty of people like that) and hoped his dog would recover....

we don't know the reasons why he didn't take his dog to be put down...but then either way, his dog was going to die.....

:)

Larry I watch too much animal planet which have a lot of American dog rescue programmes which are full of dogs owned by people who couldn't look after a teddy bear let alone a dog - thus the cynicism when he didn't take his dog to the vet when it must have been very sick. Poor dog. Trying not to be judgemental though ..... :thumbsup:

hi daccie

:)

Larry I watch too much animal planet which have a lot of American dog rescue programmes which are full of dogs owned by people who couldn't look after a teddy bear let alone a dog - thus the cynicism when he didn't take his dog to the vet when it must have been very sick. Poor dog. Trying not to be judgemental though ..... :thumbsup:

It's not just American pet owners - There is a large percentage of Americans that are over-sensitive to their pet's needs and visit the vet when the dog sneezes funny...

There are owners all over the world who are not clued in as much as the regulars on these types of forums are.. wether in America, Europe, Asia, etc etc....

I know, didn't mean to single out americans - sorry to have upset.

You didn't upset, no worries! I can see where you're coming from, but the fact is that all these shows made in America show American people - and how many viewers would they get if they showed nice, responsible people! I lived in America for many years and I can tell you there are many responsible pet owners there...

Still, I agree with you, I would have taken that poor pup to the vet ASAP...