Brushing?

First Time Puppy Owner

:) :rolleyes: :eek: :D :love:

HELP!!!!!!!

How on earth do I teach Benson to stay still when I'm trying to brush him and not to chew me and the brush???

I have tried toys to entertain him, treats (like a bone) to distract him and doing it when he is sleepy but brushing just wakes him up again.

Any suggestions fellow puppy owners?

post-16055-1177035548_thumb.jpg

Edited by First Time Puppy Owner

Okay, here i go.

This is what we did to mum's Rima (beagle):

put him on a slightly raised surface - like a sturdy out door table etc.

- reason: If i put him on the ground, he thinks we're playing. On a raised surface he knows its different. Also, groomers tend to use tables this way he gets used to a table.

Have 2 people there. One with treats holding the dog. One with a brush.

- distract the dog with the treats and ask him to sit/stand. When he's concentrating on the hand with the food, slowly start brushing him with lots of praise.

Then lots of praise and treats after.

Repeat until you can reduce to one person.

Its a slow process....but once the dog gets used to the brushing, knows there will be treats and/or lots of praise you should be fine.

It worked for Rima. Although it took a little while....

Okay, here i go.

This is what we did to mum's Rima (beagle):

put him on a slightly raised surface - like a sturdy out door table etc.

- reason: If i put him on the ground, he thinks we're playing. On a raised surface he knows its different. Also, groomers tend to use tables this way he gets used to a table.

Have 2 people there. One with treats holding the dog. One with a brush.

- distract the dog with the treats and ask him to sit/stand. When he's concentrating on the hand with the food, slowly start brushing him with lots of praise.

Then lots of praise and treats after.

Repeat until you can reduce to one person.

Its a slow process....but once the dog gets used to the brushing, knows there will be treats and/or lots of praise you should be fine.

It worked for Rima. Although it took a little while....

Thank you, sounds like the perfect plan! I think he is a pretty smart boy so I'm sure I will be able to let you know in a couple of weeks that we are doing well!

Thanks again :rolleyes:

as a dog groomer myself the easiest and quickest way to get a dog to let u brush it without it wanting to play is to simply place the dog on a table and brush!talk to the dog in a normal voice and try to keep eye contact, u will find the dog will be more interested in listen to what ur trying to say. i know it sounds obvious but it honestly works. as the owner of 2 shitzu crosses they have really long hair and i had to teach them to stop this behaviour.

if the dog continues to try and bite the brush or tries to play around, simply dont tolerate it and scold if u must....but not too firmly or the dog will associate brushing with being in trouble. also ignoring the biting and try to move the brush to a different area til the dog settles can work. any questions feel free to message me :(

good luck

Spud and Beanie were terrible with grooming when they were younger, always trying to catch and kill the brush. Now at 7 months they lurrrvvveee it. The brush comes out and they sit and wait their turn.

I don't think they appreciated how good it feels when they were little (even with treats) now they can't get enough (without treats).

PS. Benson is beautiful.

Edited by benny123

I'm trying to get our Maltese Shih-Tzu pups used to brushing as soon as possible so life's easier down the track; my partner's parents' 3yo Maltese Shih-Tzu hasn't been never really been brushed regularly (he does usually get clipped short often though) so the moment there's matting or buzzies to get out he can become quite a handful.

At the moment they don't mind a soft nylon bristled brush, but the slicker brush gets them wriggling around and trying to eat it almost instantly, regardless of how tired or calm they are. Are slicker brushes a bit too intense for pups? The first time I saw one I actually thought they were rather sharp and painful but the guy we got our pups from showed me how he brushed their 2yo Maltese Shih Tzu (Rocky) which basically involved Rocky on his back, sprawled over the guy's knees while he went to town with the brush... Rocky was lapping up every minute of it!

Please dont teach you dog to lay down to be brushed,as a professional groomer this is the worse thing you can do especially when it comes time for clipping as we need them to stand up.

Slicker brushed are a great tool BUT some are very harsh,with our pup owners & clients we recommend the cta slickers ,we always suggest you run the slicker up your own arm if it hurts or breaks skin its no good,they may leave a light staright mark but there should be no discomfort.You also need to use a combo comb.

The soft bristle brush is useless ,it just smoothers over the top coat without getting to the skin where the coat matts from.

Place dog on a table or washing machine,always use a rubber or non slip matt,place pup there & tell it to stand.

To put it blunt dont piss fart about,the more you try to bride,play etc the longer it takes & little is achieved ,dogs dont need ing bribing the just need simple words & a person brushing confidiently without acknowledging the tainty,dummy spits & the battle.

If pup wiggles then be firm & in control,Tell pup "stand" & continue to brush,if it fights you agin or tries to bite you then again its a firm NO & stand.

Puppies at present are being the boss NO pup should bite whilst being brushed & it isnt just puppy behaviour it is the pup ruling the roost & it can often equate to everyday behaviour,often dogs that try it on when being brushed can be a tad obnoxious in daily life but brushing is for life & your pups will stand still & let you brush you just need to do the job with the said keywords & dont dilly dally about no different than a human kid ,there generally told sit dowm & dont move dog is no different.

Never brush when sleepy or disturb a sleep to brush,dont give treats or a bone when the behaviour isnt rewardable,they are being rewarded for being feral,act up get a treat the owners falling over themselves to please the dogs,its the other way around the dogs should please you & it be very enjoyable & easy.

Dogs ideally should be groomed on nuetral ground.Washing machine bench top or grooming table if you have a handy hubby or you buy one.

Grooming is about all facets,brushing the dog,inspecting between the toes,checking the eras,checking teeth & looking for any unusual lumps & bumps & basically just getting to now your dogs body.

Grooming should be fun but it isnt a game & thats where many go wrong.

Place puppy where you want & just tell it stand,support its belly saying the word them reward & that is game time.Just be patient but it will happen laying down just makes it hard work

The problem with teaching to brush upside down is the top doesnt get maintained,generally hairy dogs are hairy top & bottom & all areas ned to be brushed thoroughly & when upside down on your knee it doesnt get done .

Plus as i say when it needs to be clipped etc the dog has to stand

Sounds like you might have taught your pup they can get out of brushing by biting you and the brush :( ? Pup should NOT bite you or brush, but you need to teach this. What showdog said!

Some brushes hurt or are useless, so what breed or cross do you have?

Keep brushing session short, but successful, even if you just do 1/4 the pup at a time.

You don't need to teach a formal "stand". You can gently, but firmly, lift pup to a stand position (if laying down or sitting) and praise verbally so hands are free for brushing. A firm , "No" and firmly placing pup in position is a good teaching tool.

Good on you :mad .

He looks gorgeous, of course.

I have poodles and use a slicker brush for them, but also for my sister's short-haired dog- they work a treat if you want to get rid of excess hair, just make sure it a soft slicker brush (see showdog's post). I made the mistake of getting a too hard, cheapie one and it made my dog hate brushing for a while.

Yep, as the others said, be confident and ignore the nonsense. If they bite and bark I continue to ignore it and keep brushing. If they get to the point of being absolutely ridiculous I will be a little more firm with them, (not nasty) but it is something they must get used to. If you stop when they are being silly, they have won, and know that every time they do this you will stop.

Easy, just dont stop, :D They will learn, it takes time but you'll get there.

Also agree, nothing worse than trying to clip a dog that just wants to lie down or roll over.