How Long Till Puppy Settles At Night?

Hedge

Silly me thought our new pup would snuggle up with our existing dog last night and we would all sleep soundly.....

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:mad

Put our new whippet pup in bed with Banjo our pom at around 10pm. She began howling, heard him growl and bark at her. Thought...not a good idea. Grabbed him out, left her alone with heated snuggle toy, ticking clock.

Laid in bed until midnight....she howled, cried and scatched on the door the whole time.

Got up, took her out to the toilet, put her back in with limited fuss.

She howed till about 1am, then went to sleep.

At 4:30am she started again. My hubby was wanting to get up to watch to soccer, so he grabbed her, took her out and then she stayed with him in the loungeroom.

I managed to finally get a few hours sleep then.....my head now feels like it is about to explode!!! :p

We are all walking zombies, and our new baby is lying contentedly wrapped in fleecy blankets sound asleep!!!

Have got earplugs on the ready for tonight....its been so long since we had a new puppy, and the first one we got 9 years ago slept in bed with us :( as we hated hearing her crying.

So....how long does it usually take for a puppy to settle and happily go off to sleep alone?? Hopefully when the dogs bond, then will be able to sleep together but until then, will just have to persevere.

Am I doing the right thing by leaving her to howl?? Poor little thing is probably so scared and feeling alone...your first instinct is to go and get her and snuggle her up. But I've read that will only make things worse.

See how tonight goes....my husband is thankful he is on night shift!!!

Guest Willow

Our kelpie pup was great the first night, and lulled us into a false sense of security!!! Second night she barked *all* night. Third night we put the radio on softly, and left a nightlight on, and she was fine. The next night we turned the light off, but left the radio on, and she was fine, so the next night, no light & no radio, and she was never a problem again.

We didn't go out to her when she made a fuss.

Poor you, it's very distressing isn't it?? I guess earplugs & patience are the way to go....she will get there I promise!

Have you tried using a crate and having it next to your bed? I recently used a crate for the first time on my 7mo (who would scratch and whine for ages if she was put in the laundry to sleep), put her in it next to my bed so she could see me and not a peep out of her all night. :laugh:

Our pup was put in a crate beside the bed from the very first night we got her - even the first night she was fine, whinged a couple of times to go toilet but that was it...

Now my only problem is she wants to go to the toilet at ~5am every morning and then once she's back in the crate after that she whines... so am working on a couple of things to get this sorted - feeding her later so hopefully she lasts till 6am instead of 5, we're up at 6 so thats fine anyway...

good luck with her/him!

Edited by RedStafford

i hate to say it but some dogs are born whingers!

however i would be waiting a good few weeks before coming tothis conclusion! i had an akita girl who did nothing but cry no matter what we did!

Make sure you are crating pup during the day too - sleeping during the day is fine but i would recommend getting pup out for a few hrs and a good play around 7pm then pup will be tired for bed time - dont let pup sleep all day! or it will be up all night.

Make his(?) routine consistent - feeding times etc - he will soon get used to life at your house :laugh:

also make sure your teaching pup its ok to be inthe crate - not just put in there when youve had enough! sit with pup in crate feed treats and dinner etc in there and let pup out again - dont always leave pup when its crated.

There is heaps of info about crating on here - if you have any specific questions please ask :)

Opps!! just reread your post - go get a crate! :rofl:

Edited by Akitaowner

My 10 week old Jack Russell Terrier cried the whole night for 3 full nights before she settled down. I just put my mp3 player in to block her out (don't have ear plugs I'm afraid), but that 4th night she didn't make a sound.

It would be so hard for them, coming from sleeping around their mum and litter mates to suddenly stuck in a room in the dark all by itself, but they do get used to it.

Jak wakes me at 5am every morning though, and this morning it was even earlier at 3.30!

Thanks so much to everyone who responded.

She howled a little now and then through the night last night, however it was not as constant as the night before. I put the radio in there for her, and she listened to talk back all night... :laugh: If that was me, I think I would be howling!!

The earplugs came in very handy, and my daughter could sleep through a bomb..she she wasn't kept awake.

Will see how she goes the next few nights, and if no improvement...may have to get a crate for next to the bed.

And I think she might be a bit of a howler too. She tilts her head right back and almost yodels!! She is extremely head strong....she doesn't take no for an answer...hanging out washing this morning was a real adventure!!! I spent more time pulling her out of the basket and running after her waving around undies and socks!!!

I spent more time pulling her out of the basket and running after her waving around undies and socks!!!

bahaha!!!!!!!!!! I can just imagine that scene. trying to change the blankets in their whelping box was always fun.

I bet in a weeks time you will have forgotten about the restless nights and everything will be sweet, till her next trick begins LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL Freckles!! I can only imagine what it would have been like with all those whippet puppies. Oh and your comment on taking in Mick and Paddy.....I dont think my pom would cope!!! :rofl: He is taking a little time to adapt to the whole new puppy thing...she is terrorising him, and he is growling and letting her know whose boss. I have NEVER heard this dog growl until this week. Mind you...he had a chicken wing outside, and she managed to slip through the door before I could grab her and run to it. I thought he would have stood his ground for sure and thought he would have gone her...but the big woozy boy did the bolt... :thumbsup: My Banjo is not known for his fearless streak :eek:

Here we go for night number 3....as well as the heated toy, the radio on talk back, she is now sporting a nice little red and white jumper (Go the Swannies!!), so fingers crossed we will have a peaceful night. She is whimpering a little, but not howling and throwing herself against the door. Just hope I am not speaking too soon!!!

Lola cried, and cried and cried for about a week and then I was bad a relented and she now sleeps on the end of 5YO's bed. Problem child slept on the floor with Lola when she came home.. Now Lola would sleep through the second coming but Problem Child would be awake sorting the 5 horsemen of the Apocolypse out.. :thumbsup:

Takes time. You will get there..

Sway is 8 months and doesn't sook in the middle of the night, but she does try and sneak onto the bed!

She nudges you with her nose, then if no reaction puts the front paws on the bed, if nothing then slinks on over :rofl:

Would be ok if she slept at the bottom of the bed, Oh NO has to be in the middle ontop of the doona. :thumbsup:

Well....I did speak too soon last night. She began howling again not long after I posted last night. I figured it was going to be a long night, so I went to bed early with my earplugs in.

My hubby didnt have a set of earplugs (I scored the last set in the house :thumbsup: ) so he searched through the bathroom cupboards for some cotton balls so shove in his ears....he had no luck, and could only find these square cotton pads I use for removing my eye makeup. So he rolled them up into cylinder shapes and shoved them in his ears. When he walked into the bedroom, I couldn't stop laughing.....he looked like Shrek!!!! :laugh:

When she was still howling at midnight, hubby figures she probably needs a little running about to help make her sleepy....so there he is in his boxers and a tshirt, running around the back yard dragging her dog toy sausage string. I joined in.....throwing the dog toy to and fro with her running like a lunatic all over the yard. (I can now see why people say whippets are fast dogs!!) It was a good thing our neighbrours couldn't see us!!

Then we put her back in to the laundry, went to bed, and she started up again :laugh: She went through until about 1:30am.

That crate is looking good at this stage!!! :o

Well....I did speak too soon last night. She began howling again not long after I posted last night. I figured it was going to be a long night, so I went to bed early with my earplugs in.

My hubby didnt have a set of earplugs (I scored the last set in the house :thumbsup: ) so he searched through the bathroom cupboards for some cotton balls so shove in his ears....he had no luck, and could only find these square cotton pads I use for removing my eye makeup. So he rolled them up into cylinder shapes and shoved them in his ears. When he walked into the bedroom, I couldn't stop laughing.....he looked like Shrek!!!! :D

When she was still howling at midnight, hubby figures she probably needs a little running about to help make her sleepy....so there he is in his boxers and a tshirt, running around the back yard dragging her dog toy sausage string. I joined in.....throwing the dog toy to and fro with her running like a lunatic all over the yard. (I can now see why people say whippets are fast dogs!!) It was a good thing our neighbrours couldn't see us!!Then we put her back in to the laundry, went to bed, and she started up again :o She went through until about 1:30am.

That crate is looking good at this stage!!! :)

You need to remember a bit a of short term pain is going to be the long term gain.

The only time you should go to you puppy at night time (once YOU go to bed) is to take pup out for toilet, no conversation, no playing no nothing (or if s/he has hurt themselves) . You have just taught the pup that if s/he makes enough noise you will get up and play. You will regret this if you keep doing it :laugh: .

Be strong. It will get worse if you repeat the part I bolded. I am also willing to bet it is going to now get worse before it gets better, this is known as the extinction burst. (google it).

Puppies pick up a lot more than you realise during this stage. And this sort of thing will/can turn into a very bad habit. Not just through the night, but anytime the dog feels they want more attention.

I am going to post a copy of two recent posts of mine just to help. (you can just replace "crate" with "confined space"

1/During the night, (from the time YOU go to bed and the time YOU get up) you should only take the pup outside to toilet and then straight back in. No conversation, no nothing. Just use your toilet command (mine is "do wees") once she has wee'd then priase her, but no playing. Then walk her straight back in the crate and say 'good girl' and close crate and go back to bed. (if you have trouble controlling her and her desire to play, put her on a lead)

In the morning, if she wakes first, take her out again and repeat above, but put her back in the crate, untill YOU get up. This will establish a bullet proof routine. Keep everything consistant and you will have no ongoing problems.

Do not be tempted to relax this if she gets up at say 5am and you get up at 6am. Make sure she is not allowed out of her crate until you want to get up. You are the leader and you lay down the rules. This is just my view, (some people , don't worry if the dog wakes up and hour or so before them and put them outside to play. totally up to you)

2/In addition and I am sure DOLers are getting sick of me posting this. Your dog does not live in a democracy and nor does s/he want to.

Dogs want to lead by a confident, trusted leader who is consistant in their own behaviour as well as consistent in what they expect from them, so that they know what is expected of them. (make sense )

Be a leader , a fair leader and lay down some rules that are not negotiatable, you will be amazed at the response, especially at his age. They just want to please and do what is right so set parametres that the dog can operate in. Not only will he respond he will gain in confidence and get a better understanding of what is expected of him.

Also there are a number of opinions on this, but I rarely use treats, if ever really. Especially not for general behaviour issues

And finally take a read of the article posted here: http://forums.dogzonline.com.au/index.php?showtopic=62375

Cheers and good luck

Roo

PS In case you missed my point , :D DO NOT GO TO PUP DURING THE NIGHT FOR PLAYING OR EXERCISE, TOILET BREAKS ONLY :D :laugh:

Edited by Roo

Thanks for all the info Roo!!

Last night we did not let her sleep for a few hours before we wanted her to go to bed. We had her chasing after toys and racing about. At about 9pm she was all foofed out so I put her in her room covered her with blankets with her heated toy, put the radio on and she was out like a light.

I went to bed not long after that, figuring it would only last half an hour or so, and I would be awake for most of the night again....and she did not make one noise the whole night!!!!! :thumbsup::o:laugh:

She woke up at 7am not howling and screaming, but scratching on the door. I took her out and she went she went to the toilet. Mind you, she has been racing around like a lunatic since.....she races at you full pelt and then leaps on you last minute....if you're sitting on the floor you end up with a whippet on your head!!!

She was such a good girl last night....fingers crossed she will be the same tonight (tomorrow night..etc..etc :laugh: ) But if not, will follow your advice and not give her any attention through the night accept for toileting.

Oh....and I also want to add....she is already starting to get the idea of where she needs to go to the toilet. She went outside every time to go to the toilet yesterday except once....to big improvements there! You think she would have climbed Mt Everest they way we congratulate her when she does... :D She is such a smart dog.....a complete ratbag....but very smart... :D :D

Leanne