House Training An Afghan

Darkrai

I've tryed for so long now to house train Imy but to no advance...

She goes to the toilet outside but as soon as i bring her in she pees somewhere, normaly on someones bed :thumbsup:

she has been like this since i bought her home. Unlike the poodles who will hold it, she lets it go where ever she likes, In her create, kennel (dog run) or inside the house - even in the car :laugh:

Im at wits end with her as when i move in June she will be more of an inside dog as she wont have a dog run to go into...

If i can't house train her i don't think i'll be able to show her anymore as she would be an a permant outside dog which would mean she would have to be shaved off or i would have to wash her more (more if it was raining) which would eventually end her show career :o

or the other alternative would be be to send her back to her breeders place until she was title then bring her back to be shaved off unless by then i have dog runs........

So i neeed help as she is a flithy filthy bitch :laugh:

if she pees in a crate its too big :thumbsup:

one of by baby girls peed i the crate so i made it a bit smaller - she only just had room to crouch down - no more peeing and i made it a bit bigger again after about a week.

Alternatively turn her over to me and ill train her *and never see her again* oh ummmm did i say that out loud....

how old is she now?

Go back to basics,something isnt clicking .Deny access to bedrooms(shut the doors) ,It is obviously a habit but it may be due to a stress issue,bladder control(have you had her urine tested)

As to washing her & that ending her career why .There is no reason for more coat maintance to end a show career

I have trained many dogs using the following system but please note - you need to be diligent about this for 3 or more days in a row. If I get a call from a foster carer saying it didn't work, it is usually because they didn't keep going, tried it for a day and gave up. I recently trained an 8 year old abused silky terrier who'd had 3 homes. The final home tried for 6 months to housetrain her without success - God knows what they did because folllowing the method below, it took me 4 days. Most dogs have got it after 2-3 days.

I would also agree with cutting off her access to extra rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms etc. Also important to properly remove the scent from before, I use a Napisan mix or baking soda and water mix. Others use vinegar successfully.

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

Well she is an Afghan!!! In my years of having Afghans I think I only had a couple who were totally reliable in the house. I'd be getting her Vet checked first as it does seem a bit excessive.

If she has the all clear then it's just a matter of perserverence and this still may not be completely successful. My Affies all were kenneled outside and let in under supervision, one or two at a time. Being outside wont make any difference to the coats, just keep up the maintenance with brushing, extra bathing isn't necessary, powder and brush mud out when it's dried. Watch for any staining from grass etc. and just rinse those bits. Mine had an acre to romp in and Gippsland winters can be pretty rough but a daily check and brush kept them OK. It's not only coat but what's under it that should matter.

ETA to make sense!

Edited by pebbles

I have trained many dogs using the following system but please note - you need to be diligent about this for 3 or more days in a row. If I get a call from a foster carer saying it didn't work, it is usually because they didn't keep going, tried it for a day and gave up. I recently trained an 8 year old abused silky terrier who'd had 3 homes. The final home tried for 6 months to housetrain her without success - God knows what they did because folllowing the method below, it took me 4 days. Most dogs have got it after 2-3 days.

I would also agree with cutting off her access to extra rooms such as bedrooms/bathrooms etc. Also important to properly remove the scent from before, I use a Napisan mix or baking soda and water mix. Others use vinegar successfully.

HOUSETRAINING TIPS

Ok - first thing to do is decide on the command (I call it “do wees”) you will repeat over and over. You have to really focus on the dog for about 2-3 days to be successful. You have a pocketful of special treats on hand all the time for the first 2-3 days.

Walk the dog several times a day and every time the dog wees, you get very excited and keep saying “Good boy/girl, do wees, do wees” – give the dog treats every time.

First thing in the morning, last thing at night and every time you see the dog eat or drink (both precursors to weeing) whisk the dog into the garden and repeat the command “do wees”. Get very excited and present treats every time dog goes.

The dog’s aim in life is to please you. If the dog should have an accident inside the house – say NOTHING at all. The dog soon gets the idea that when he/she goes outside you are really, really pleased and he/she gets rewarded.

I used this command as well when training Macca, one evening ,whilst the dog was still being house trained with the "do wee"

I asked my husband , do you want a cup of tea? Macca' ears pricked up and he ran to the door to do wee/tea!

He will go if you ask him "do you want a cup of tea?' ! well it works for him :D

Hi Palane,

Isn't it a small world? I answered this same question over on OzAfghans.

This was my reply over there.

Re: House Training

Reply #1 - 30.04.07 at 16:28:13 Quote Remove

Same way you teach any other puppy house training. ;)

Make sure you take her out regularly to go to the toilet. Every time she has a drink or a meal take her out until she does what is required. When she does use lots of praise so she knows she has done the right thing. Be really consistent with this so she knows that she has to go out to go to the toilet. Shouldn't take long at all. :(

To stop her going on the beds close the bedroom doors. :(

Good Luck.

Bear.

The only thing I would add to this is as other people have said add a cue to her doing the right thing. if you take her to the same spot consistently you can even train her to go in that same spot.

Cheers

Bear.

:( sorry Palane, had to laugh ! our Sox was THE most un-housetrainable puppy we've ever owned (affie of course)

She changed as soon as she had her own kennel & run in the outside dog shed, (12 months old) and at about 14 months, could reliably come back into the house for hours at a time.

At one point when she was five months old, we nicknamed her 'shitcasso' because if we turned out backs, she would poo, (ON the newspaper - bless her cotton socks ) then dip her front paws into it and PAINT THE BLOODY WALL !!! NO KIDDING.....it was very artistic.. ;)

we tried all of the training tips that have been mentioned, but hers was just maturity that changed her habits :(

We loved her dearly, but was the MOST naughty puppy I have ever encountered.

Good luck with Imy ! She will grow into a dainty princess - who will grace your lounge sweetly, and pee OUTSIDE !!

fifi

I've tryed for so long now to house train Imy but to no advance...

I would definitely get her checked by a vet to elimate urinary tract infection as a cause. Also, young puppies don't have the same physical bladder control capacity as older dogs.

If she doesn't have an infection the key to success is preventing failures and rewarding good behaviour. Your challenge now is that you have allowed many failures to occur in the house, and each time she goes she gets a reinforcement (ie, relief) and it's therefore a self-reinforcing behaviour. That's why people really emphasise prevention - the longer the wrong thing is reinforced, the harder it is to train out again.

Anyway, praise and treat when she goes outside, ignore her completely when she goes inside but watch her like a hawk and learn to recognise when she is about to go and get her out fast so that she doesn't get that relief reward inside the house. I'm more a fan of the "leash them to your belt on a 8 foot leash and supervise" approach rather than crate training but everyone is different - with ours crate size made no difference to the propensity to wee in it. If you don't have her contained in some way, bedroom doors should be closed so that she is incapable of making that mistake.

Also, clean all the floors thoroughly with an enzyme based cleaner (urine-off or nature's miracle or something like that) so that there is nothing around to give her the idea that the floor is a dog toilet. Soak that part of the sheets and bedding that is urine stained in an enzyme cleaner before washing too. If she can smell wee already there, it makes sense to her doggy brain that she can go there.

Our Afghan was a hell of a lot easier to house train than the Salukis - so take heart, it can be done! My Saluki bitch took 9 months before she was totally reliable (but she certainly wasn't peeing every day, we just had to get her over this idea that if she could SEE outside that was good enough)

Oops, EDIT to add: Depending on how you have been trying to train to date, the peeing might also be a stress response. Submissive dogs pee to appease their owners, which creates a horrible downward spiral when the owners get more and more frustrated and therefore more scary to the dog and the dog pees even more. Hence the "just ignore it" advice everyone is giving.

Cheers

Anita

Edited by anita

lol i love how we even have a command for tellng our dog when to go pee. ours is "have a piddle" lol

Ours is "go toilet". At least the neighbours don't care (or we don't care if they laugh, more to the point).

I've heard people say "be clean" is a good cue, but that seems a bit prudish to me ;-)